State Duals

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

State Duals

Postby admin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:16 am

Fiddling with Schedule pages, I see that the Pt. Pleasant/Winfield winner will represent Region IV at the State Duals on February 1st at the Greenbrier. What is/are the State Duals?
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

admin
Site Admin

Re: State Duals

Postby admin » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 am

Furthermore, I see that there is Point Pleasant/Winfield winner AT State Duals AT The Greenbrier, St Marys AT WV "A" Challenge AT Ritchie County, and Wahama HS AT Single A States.

What's going on?
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 am

Wahama at the single A state is the same as the single a state challenge that St Mary's is attending this is about the third or 4th year for it

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:26 pm

I'd heard rumors about this "state duals championship" at the Greenbrier (which would be awesome), but I didn't see it on schedules and nobody was talking about it, so I figured it was bologna. Lol
sentenceseller

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Not 100% on any of this, but based off the teams that have it on there schedule it looks like last years Regional Champ and Runner-up will have a dual. the winner of each regional dual will go to The Greenbrier for a State Dual quad. Seems like a really cool idea. I hope it works out and sticks around!

aaacoach9

Postby aaacoach9 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:33 pm

The West Virginia Dual Team Championships will be on February, 1, 2020 at The Greenbrier.
The top two teams from last year's Regional tournament will compete during this season with the winner
representing their Region at the Dual Team Championship.
Some teams have 'opted out' because of scheduling conflicts this first year. The overall response and support has been great.
Each year we plan to improve and this is sponsored by the West Virginia Wrestling Coaches Association with the support of the WVSSAC.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 am

This is great but I see a issue with using the regionals as a basis. A bracket tournament team winner result is different from dual meet winner result. Is most case maybe the outcome is mostly the same but region 4 A/AA runner up was 8 spots behind the third place finisher.so the question is then do you use the regionals or the state.

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:33 pm

aacoach21 wrote:This is great but I see a issue with using the regionals as a basis. A bracket tournament team winner result is different from dual meet winner result. Is most case maybe the outcome is mostly the same but region 4 A/AA runner up was 8 spots behind the third place finisher.so the question is then do you use the regionals or the state.

There's always a "better" way to do it. But if your point is that bracketed tournament results are not the same as dual tournament results, then neither regional nor state tourney results should be used as qualifying criteria. There is no good way to determine the best two dual teams in a region other than making every team dual every team. There goes all our weigh-ins.

My opinion, regional tournament results should be used in determining the teams in the dual for the following year. The way the dual is set up you want the best 2 teams from each region, not the best 8 teams in the state. Just makes sense to me to use regional tournament results to select the teams.

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:18 pm

On a good note, the food is still 50% less than the big sandy!

greencrush

Postby greencrush » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 am

mattman wrote:On a good note, the food is still 50% less than the big sandy!

And 5000% better. I think it's an amazing venue. Can't wait.
sentenceseller

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Several years ago I attempted to have the WV Duals but obviously never had much interest. My suggestion was to go the the front WV Mat page and invite the top eight teams according to what wrestlers they had coming back. Just a suggestion. It’s a great idea to have a state dual tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:42 am

Somebody got the ball rolling. It can be improved for the 2020/2021 season. Progress should never be criticized. The word on the street is that the person who got this ball rolling is not on the coaches' committee or in the Hall of Fame. Just another person with ideas that puts them to action. Now this guy is one we need on the Coaches' Committee.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:44 am

Will this state duals meet be separated to declare a team champion in AAA and AA/A or will all teams compete in a free for all?? Will the AAA champions square off against the AA/A champions in a "baddest of the bad" showdown to determine who is the baddest of the bad?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Will this state duals meet be separated to declare a team champion in AAA and AA/A or will all teams compete in a free for all?? Will the AAA champions square off against the AA/A champions in a "baddest of the bad" showdown to determine who is the baddest of the bad?

Anybody know??

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 am

As the process evolves and continuous improvement is implemented, my good friend "TrueSouthFanBelow200lbs" had a good idea. Have the top FOUR teams in each region meet the following season in a quad. The team that wins the quad, goes to the state duals.

Return to “High School Wrestling”