Who will win the Dutton Award this year?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
ringworm14

Who will win the Dutton Award this year?

Postby ringworm14 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:53 pm

To me, it has to be Peyton Hall (will be 4 x champ, ranked #5 @152 via intermat ).

Also in the running would be Braxton Amos (Last years winner, will be 3 x champ, ranked #2 @ 220 via intermat) and
Zach Frazier (will be a 4x champ).

Discuss...

"Watch out for the ringworm!"
- Robert Mueller

rodneyjwv

Re: Who will win the Dutton Award this year?

Postby rodneyjwv » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:59 am

The best wrestler in the state of WV, chosen by a vote of wrestling coaches throughout the state of WV.

I’m sure the national rankings have some weight in that decision, but if I remember correctly, one of the standout statistics for last years award winner was Not a single offensive point scored against them. That is an impressive statistic given the schedule of the wrestler who won. Iron Man, OVAC, Super 32, and Powerade
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 am

rodneyjwv wrote:The best wrestler in the state of WV, chosen by a vote of wrestling coaches throughout the state of WV.

I’m sure the national rankings have some weight in that decision, but if I remember correctly, one of the standout statistics for last years award winner was Not a single offensive point scored against them. That is an impressive statistic given the schedule of the wrestler who won. Iron Man, OVAC, Super 32, and Powerade

The wrestler who won last year is no doubt a great wrestler and his accomplishments are nothing shy of incredible. It is fair to consider the difference in competition at 152 and 195. To suggest there is no difference would be silly.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Although I cannot prove it, I would bet 3 pumpkin rolls, a NET burger and a full wardrobe containing sleeves that Braxton Amos was selected the Dutton Award winner last season for these two main reasons:

1. His overwhelming accomplishments.

2. There was no Class of 2019 senior that had a career of accomplishments that also went out a state champion. There was nobody that could be selected from the Class of 2019. This finally forced the decision makers to look at a lower classman.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:08 pm

I hope it is a tie. Just so we can watch people lose their minds.

But seriously Assuming all 3 of the athletes above can make it through the season healthy and they accomplish what we all think they will, I could understand a case being made for any of them.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Diamond wrote:
rodneyjwv wrote:The best wrestler in the state of WV, chosen by a vote of wrestling coaches throughout the state of WV.

The wrestler who won last year is no doubt a great wrestler and his accomplishments are nothing shy of incredible. It is fair to consider the difference in competition at 152 and 195. To suggest there is no difference would be silly.

Maybe, maybe not! At the Ironman, the competition from 106 to 285 is as good as it gets. To even place there is difficult. To win it, is even tougher. We are blessed to have those 3 young men to watch for one more year!
Moderator WV Mat

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:20 pm

the average 220 may not be the caliber of the average 152 i could agree with you on, but the top tier guys are no joke. the best of the best are at super 32/ironman/powerade/fargo and hes dominated them all. including wins over kids with age level world medals. the top four on my list have credentials that couldve won the last duttons going back to when brandon radar won it. nothing against frazier and ive never seen him wrestle but even with 4 titles i wouldnt put him higher than amos/hall/roberts/best based on their out of state accomplishments. fairmont sr isnt doing frazier any justice by not finding a way to send him to the powerade, nhsca, and fargo. ill except not going to super 32, and ironman because of football.

BobbyBoatly37

Postby BobbyBoatly37 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:00 am

Bearhugger wrote:Although I cannot prove it, I would bet 3 pumpkin rolls, a NET burger and a full wardrobe containing sleeves that Braxton Amos was selected the Dutton Award winner last season for these two main reasons:

1. His overwhelming accomplishments.

2. There was no Class of 2019 senior that had a career of accomplishments that also went out a state champion. There was nobody that could be selected from the Class of 2019. This finally forced the decision makers to look at a lower classman.

Have to agree with Bear Hugger on this one... (Shocker i know right!? lol) Not taking anything away from Amos but otherwise dont think he wouldve won it last year if the above #2 scenario were different...

mattman

Postby mattman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Imo, there isn’t a real comparison to be made athletically with the smaller and bigger guys. That’s why we have skilled positions in football and we all know we need the big men up front opening up the holes and protecting the passer. I’m not sure the exact criteria on deciding who is the best wrestler in the state is? I would give Hall the edge on his quality of in state opposition and finals performance alone. On the other hand I have never seen Amos challenged in this state even a little bit. Braxton is a strong kid and makes it look easy at times. Be a coin toss when the decision is made.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:28 pm

mattman wrote:Imo, there isn’t a real comparison to be made athletically with the smaller and bigger guys. That’s why we have skilled positions in football and we all know we need the big men up front opening up the holes and protecting the passer. I’m not sure the exact criteria on deciding who is the best wrestler in the state is? I would give Hall the edge on his quality of in state opposition and finals performance alone. On the other hand I have never seen Amos challenged in this state even a little bit. Braxton is a strong kid and makes it look easy at times. Be a coin toss when the decision is made.

I'm just guessing that you haven't seen Braxton wrestle very much. I'm also guessing you haven't seen him doing back flips, etc at 220 pounds. However, you surely have seen plenty of muscular, strong guys get beat by those "scrawny" wrestlers who know how to wrestle. That's one of the things that I loved about wrestling from the first time I ever stepped on a mat. I understand the concept of more "skilled" wrestlers on average possibly at 152 lb on most small stages. However, that issue disappears at the big stage events. Before anybody misinterprets this, I'm a big fan of all 5 guys mentioned and in particular of Peyton for many years and he often times does amazing things and somehow also makes it look easy. But to possibly imply that the 3 lighter weights mentioned are themselves more skilled and athletic than the 2 bigger guys is from my observations far from accurate (I admit I have only watched Zach wrestle one time). I'm not picking a favorite here. I'm just saying you might be accidentally massively underestimating Braxton's wrestling and athletic skills when you're making these observations. If it weren't for the risks of the injury issue, he probably would have been playing the skilled position of running back in football. However, I do concede that you are entitled to your opinion and you could be right and me wrong.

mattman

Postby mattman » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:04 am

Actually, I keep up with Braxton. That flo wrestling site is really something. You can type a name in Search bar the kids matches will pop up. The technology nowadays is amazing. You totally contradicted your comment Sir. A 220 lb man ripping a back tuck is quite the feat and I’m glad you noticed it. If it were a 145 lb kid it wouldnt be quite as impressive. That’s what separates Braxton from the other big men imo. He is so athletically advanced for his age that he makes it look easy. You mistakenly took a comment as a sign of disrespect. You actually totally misrepresented my entire post. Next time slow down, take a big cold drink of water and you will stay cool. I’d say in 10 years I’ve watched Braxton wrestle 100 matches or so and my comment was wait until you see this kid. So let’s get this straight for the world to see. I did say that smaller guys were typically more athletic than big guys. A fullback isn’t a skilled position(not even in European football or rugby)I did say Hall stepped up and won some matches in which he was the underdog(or I meant to say). I did say Braxton is a bad man! You nor I can take those undoubted facts from the subject. You have two highly talented young men and one Dutton trophy. How do you pick one over the next? Hall beat Rea, Rea beat Teasdale (if memory serves) and Braxton beats Everyone pretty easily. I apologize I wasn’t clear in my earlier post but I think this one pretty much covers it.

LandmineFitness

Postby LandmineFitness » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Here’s some criteria for you:

100+ wins with zero losses
Zero, and i mean zero offensive points scored on him as high school wrestler. That in itself deserves an award.
Those zero points include 2 Ironman Titles, 2 Powerades and many more.

Is that not the definition of domination? The definition of the best wrestler in WV? Is that not what the Dutton is about?

If the above trend continues......pretty easy choice don’t you think?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:12 pm

I also don't want to diminish anyone's accomplishments. If things go as expected I would say that Braxton would be on a very short list(2 wrestlers) of favorites for the national high school wrestler of the year.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:13 am

mattman wrote:Actually, I keep up with Braxton. That flo wrestling site is really something. You can type a name in Search bar the kids matches will pop up. The technology nowadays is amazing. You totally contradicted your comment Sir. A 220 lb man ripping a back tuck is quite the feat and I’m glad you noticed it. If it were a 145 lb kid it wouldnt be quite as impressive. That’s what separates Braxton from the other big men imo. He is so athletically advanced for his age that he makes it look easy. You mistakenly took a comment as a sign of disrespect. You actually totally misrepresented my entire post. Next time slow down, take a big cold drink of water and you will stay cool. I’d say in 10 years I’ve watched Braxton wrestle 100 matches or so and my comment was wait until you see this kid. So let’s get this straight for the world to see. I did say that smaller guys were typically more athletic than big guys. A fullback isn’t a skilled position(not even in European football or rugby)I did say Hall stepped up and won some matches in which he was the underdog(or I meant to say). I did say Braxton is a bad man! You nor I can take those undoubted facts from the subject. You have two highly talented young men and one Dutton trophy. How do you pick one over the next? Hall beat Rea, Rea beat Teasdale (if memory serves) and Braxton beats Everyone pretty easily. I apologize I wasn’t clear in my earlier post but I think this one pretty much covers it.

Apology accepted, although unnecessary. I agree, this last post is much clearer. Not quite sure of my contradiction (but I will accept that someone might find one in there somewhere since these posts are always easy to misinterpret). Actually figured you had seen him wrestle, since who hasn't seen him wrestle. It was kind of a facetious statement. However, I assure that I am always cool, calm, and collected and never get hot over high school wrestling. I always have a smile on my face as I type these posts and never a furrowed brow.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:50 pm

LandmineFitness wrote:Here’s some criteria for you:

Zero, and i mean zero offensive points scored on him as high school wrestler. That in itself deserves an award.

Is that not the definition of domination? The definition of the best wrestler in WV? Is that not what the Dutton is about?

No, I absolutely do not think it’s an easy choice. You have two worthy candidates and whoever wins, who can complain? I can make plenty of undoubtedly and statistically proven points but I don’t wanna step on anyone’s toes especially the ones who are apparently much bigger in stature than I lol. Just say Hall wins (imo he will) will the world end, will a Democrat be elected president? NO! I praise both kids on their journey and pray they stay healthy. I have been around this sport for a long time and in this state I would say in no particular order that both are in the top 5 I have personally watched. It’s a two horse show!
Regalbutto
Noah Adams
Josh Humphreys
Amos
Hall

Heath

Postby Heath » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:57 am

KDunbar wrote:
mattman wrote:Imo, there isn’t a real comparison to be made athletically with the smaller and bigger guys. That’s why we have skilled positions in football and we all know we need the big men up front opening up the holes and protecting the passer. I’m not sure the exact criteria on deciding who is the best wrestler in the state is? I would give Hall the edge on his quality of in state opposition and finals performance alone. On the other hand I have never seen Amos challenged in this state even a little bit. Braxton is a strong kid and makes it look easy at times. Be a coin toss when the decision is made.

I'm just guessing that you haven't seen Braxton wrestle very much. I'm also guessing you haven't seen him doing back flips, etc at 220 pounds. However, you surely have seen plenty of muscular, strong guys get beat by those "scrawny" wrestlers who know how to wrestle. That's one of the things that I loved about wrestling from the first time I ever stepped on a mat. I understand the concept of more "skilled" wrestlers on average possibly at 152 lb on most small stages. However, that issue disappears at the big stage events. Before anybody misinterprets this, I'm a big fan of all 5 guys mentioned and in particular of Peyton for many years and he often times does amazing things and somehow also makes it look easy. But to possibly imply that the 3 lighter weights mentioned are themselves more skilled and athletic than the 2 bigger guys is from my observations far from accurate (I admit I have only watched Zach wrestle one time). I'm not picking a favorite here. I'm just saying you might be accidentally massively underestimating Braxton's wrestling and athletic skills when you're making these observations. If it weren't for the risks of the injury issue, he probably would have been playing the skilled position of running back in football. However, I do concede that you are entitled to your opinion and you could be right and me wrong.

Maybe fullback but psouth had better "athletes" at those positions. If he ran a 4.5 he'd of been a runningback. He doesn't so he's a lineman. Not saying he's not athletic cause I think he really is.
Saying the smaller guys are more athletic, in this case at least, is ludicrous. I'd say Frazier could out run all three of the lighter guys in a sprint and with probably a beyger vertical. Those three are great wrestlers but athletic marvels they are not. The two bigs are.
Amos should and will win the award because he's the best wrestler. Sucks for Frazier cause going four for four at heaveyweight is impressive. He's easily a top 15 heaveyweight in the country but that's not his main focus.
So I'm going Amos, Frazier, Hall. They just had the bad luck of wrestling in the Amos era. Plus it sucks that none are close in weight and can face each other. My top three I mean

Heath

Postby Heath » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:00 am

My vote is for Amos but I'm curious how he's never given up a point when I've seen him lose in some videos online? Are we only talking folk style to instate kids? Just wondering. Thanks.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:32 pm

He has never given up an offensive point to anyone anywhere in his high school wrestling career I believe is what they are saying. He is wrestling any minute in the Ironman semi finals. The other 2 WV semi finalists lost a little while ago. B Roberts at 152 & J Best at 160.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Braxton wins with a 10-2 MD giving up only 2 escape points.

Slingblade33

Postby Slingblade33 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Heath wrote:

My vote is for Amos but I'm curious how he's never given up a point when I've seen him lose in some videos online? Are we only talking folk style to instate kids? Just wondering. Thanks.

That match was a freestyle match against Jacob Cardenas...he lost another freestyle match against a “kid” from Cuba. He has never lost a match in a South singlet. I don’t believe there has been a more overall accomplished and dominant wrestler in the history of WV wrestling. As far as the Dutton, if he won is last year and if he goes undefeated again this year in the same fashion with the schedule South wrestles, I can’t imagine an argument against him receiving it again.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 pm

The only other feat that I can think of that may be somewhat comparable is the one Dylan Cottrell achieved. A 4 time state champion who was never scored on in those 4 championship tourney's. Not a single point of any kind. Yes he lost a single regular season in each of his 4 years so he probably can't be compared on a national level with Braxton but his feat is VERY remarkable.
I will add that Braxton can possibly complete a feat that would be also quite remarkable. Of course he was injured as a freshman but he has completed 2 state tournaments since then winning by fall in every match(yes 1 was a t-fall).

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm

I checked with a reliable source over a month ago if and when Amos and Frazier has ever meet and the answer was yes. Of course it was over 4 years ago and a rematch would definitely be a headline event today, but I think the outcome would be about the same.

38th W. Va. JUNIOR STATE WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS
MARCH 7-8, 2015
Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg, WV

Wt 192
1 #1 Braxton Amos (Junior Patriots) T 17-0
2 #2 Zach Frazier BTS (West Fairmont)

LandmineFitness

Postby LandmineFitness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:15 pm

mattman wrote:

No, I absolutely do not think it’s an easy choice. You have two worthy candidates and whoever wins, who can complain? I can make plenty of undoubtedly and statistically proven points but I don’t wanna step on anyone’s toes especially the ones who are apparently much bigger in stature than I lol. Just say Hall wins (imo he will) will the world end, will a Democrat be elected president? NO! I praise both kids on their journey and pray they stay healthy. I have been around this sport for a long time and in this state I would say in no particular order that both are in the top 5 I have personally watched. It’s a two horse show!
Regalbutto
Noah Adams
Josh Humphreys
Amos
Hall

I’d be interested to hear these “undoubtedly and statistically proven points ” you mention. I’d have a hard time buying that whatever you claim is still more impressive and deserving then what has been mentioned above. Guess this would be a good time to add another Ironman title to Mr. Amos along with possibly being the ONLY Wv wrestler to go undefeated while having 100+ wins. Granted the season just started and its too early to claim that presently so we can chalk this one up as revisit after season.

Either way we can obviously agree to disagree. Mr. Hall is a great representative of our great state on and off the mat and a pleasure to watch. His one match at Ironman where he pinned the kid the final seconds while being down was a true testament to his will to succeed and never quit. Look forward to watching him the rest of the year.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Commenting on Peyton's win mentioned above, the "kid" he beat was Bryce Hepner from St. Eds., ranked around the top 10 in the nation and someone who has seen it all and ready for about anything. Yet with 7 seconds left Peyton did some of his usual "magic" and, as I alluded to above, made the very difficult look easy with amazing body control and wrestling awareness in a clutch situation. It was exciting and memorable to watch, given the venue in which it occurred. Reminded me a little of his first go at the OVAC tournament when he just a 9th grader.
I agree with the statement above saying that all that is left now is to let the kids wrestle and see where things shake out by the end of the year.

Return to “High School Wrestling”