AAA WV State Duals Championship

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AAA WV State Duals Championship

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:07 pm

In the absence of linked schedules on WVMat, who are the AAA teams competing in the "wrestle off" to win a trip to the WV AAA State Duals on February 1st?

Region 1: Who vs Who?

Region 2: Spring Mills vs ???

Region 3: Greenbrier East vs St. Albans

Region 4: Who vs Who?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Re: AAA WV State Duals Championship

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:41 pm

A new event that everybody has been wanting for years. No feedback? No promotion?

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Bearhugger wrote:A new event that everybody has been wanting for years. No feedback? No promotion?

For once, I agree with you. This has been something people have been wanting for a long time, and East found an amazing venue. It is sad to see so little interest (as far as we can tell) from AAA regions 1 and 4. Perhaps it is on the schedule for next year...

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Justdeserts wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:A new event that everybody has been wanting for years. No feedback? No promotion?

For once, I agree with you. This has been something people have been wanting for a long time, and East found an amazing venue. It is sad to see so little interest (as far as we can tell) from AAA regions 1 and 4. Perhaps it is on the schedule for next year...

Is this not all known info?
https://www.wvmat.com/temp/20finalduals.pdf

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 pm

mscoach106 wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

Is this not all known info?
https://www.wvmat.com/temp/20finalduals.pdf

I stand corrected. I hadn't seen that.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:38 pm

wheres the single a division?

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:49 pm

csmith11 wrote:wheres the single a division?

A and AA are grouped together at the WV state tournament and Regionals.
This tournament is composed of the dual meet winner between the top two teams from each of the 8 regions, 4 from AA/A, and 4 from AAA.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 pm

yes but there is not one single a team competing. im surprised the single a coaches that want their own individual division aren't complaining about having their own dual division.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm

No Wheeling Park in Region 1 and no South in Region 4.

According to the coaches poll, they are the top two teams in AAA.

I do realize that schedule are already set, but why are they not included? They will both be at South on 2/1 along with Huntington, but your taking the winner of PHS vs Huntington and South wrestles PHS ON 1/29.

Maybe this could have fit more schedules favorably. Maybe?
Moderator WV Mat

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 pm

csmith11 wrote:wheres the single a division?

What Single A school actually provides any competition?? :lol:

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Gator wrote:No Wheeling Park in Region 1 and no South in Region 4.

According to the coaches poll, they are the top two teams in AAA.

I do realize that schedule are already set, but why are they not included? They will both be at South on 2/1 along with Huntington, but your taking the winner of PHS vs Huntington and South wrestles PHS ON 1/29.

Maybe this could have fit more schedules favorably. Maybe?

Reminds me of the watered down OVAC Dual championships.
Moderator WV Mat

R2wrestling

Postby R2wrestling » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:36 pm

As far as who the top team currently is in AAA there is no question about that. However, people have stepped up and created an event that is long over due in WV. They have provided a great venue and set a standard for what this can be. It is the first year and obviously some of the power house teams are already committed to other events. No reason to put down the competition or event. It is just a start something that can be very good fo WV wrestling. I am sure come next season scheduling and qualifying criteria can be worked out to make sure the best of the best in the state is represented. Let’s get the ball rolling and be grateful that this is now going to happen.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:03 am

R2wrestling wrote:As far as who the top team currently is in AAA there is no question about that. However, people have stepped up and created an event that is long over due in WV. They have provided a great venue and set a standard for what this can be. It is the first year and obviously some of the power house teams are already committed to other events. No reason to put down the competition or event. It is just a start something that can be very good fo WV wrestling. I am sure come next season scheduling and qualifying criteria can be worked out to make sure the best of the best in the state is represented. Let’s get the ball rolling and be grateful that this is now going to happen.

I agree with the above. I don't believe anyone was left out or overlooked. I'm guessing it was the decisions of the schools that were "eligible" as to whether they were going to participate (someone from the schools could clear this up if they so desired, for the sake of those organizing the event). Much like the OVAC duals (which I don't believe excluded anyone but merely had those participate who qualified and were interested), it depends a lot on a school's schedule that is already set, their allowed weigh ins for the season, and decisions as to whether it is in the best interest of their individual programs as to whether to participate in the competition. If you've already wrestled the teams involved during the regular season there might be some reluctance to merely meet up again.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:29 am

While our team is not involved in this dual championship, I can tell you as a host of another tournament the same weekend that at least two teams that would have been included in this event chose to stick to their commitments to our tournament which they had made 4-5 months before this event was conceived. So instead of bashing teams for not attending you might want to praise them for sticking to their commitments and setting a good example for their wrestlers.
This event is a great thing. However the announcement that it would take place was made after several teams already had their schedules set.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:39 am

aaacoach6 wrote:While our team is not involved in this dual championship, I can tell you as a host of another tournament the same weekend that at least two teams that would have been included in this event chose to stick to their commitments to our tournament which they had made 4-5 months before this event was conceived. So instead of bashing teams for not attending you might want to praise them for sticking to their commitments and setting a good example for their wrestlers.
This event is a great thing. However the announcement that it would take place was made after several teams already had their schedules set.

I did mention that teams already had their schedules set and I agree the event is long overdue.

Hopefully in the future the event will set a date early enough for all schools to attend.
Moderator WV Mat

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:17 am

Gator I was referring to
when I said bashing not your comment.

Gator

Postby Gator » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:36 pm

aaacoach6 wrote:Gator I was referring to
when I said bashing not your comment.

No offense taken coach. I know you’re a good man!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”