2020 OVAC tournament preview

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
KDunbar

2020 OVAC tournament preview

Postby KDunbar » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:54 am

Last years tournament was exciting, but this years should be even better with Wheeling Park jumping front and center into the mix. I know it's a month away, but if we can speculate on the 2020 Dutton Award winner, and even the 2021 Dutton Award winner, I figure I'm okay with this. Based on the individual rankings from http://www.OVAeC.org it appears to be a three way race for the overall title between the favorite Beaver Local followed closely by Wheeling Park and then Parkersburg South. Using tournament placement points for those ranked first thru eighth you get the following: Beaver Local with 98 points, Wheeling Park with 93 points, and South with 83 points. As always "upsets" will occur. But as usual bonus points for maj. dec., tech. fall, and pins will be vitally important along with advancement points from those wrestlers not actually placing. This now makes each and every match even more important all along the way (for these 3 teams hopes of a title, not inferring that each and every match isn't inportant to those wrestlers involved in them), starting from Thursday evening thru the finals. I think this makes it even better for every wrestler involved as they try to win a title for their team or advance as an individual while attempting to play a role in who gets the team title whenever they match up with any of the top 3 contenders. Not meaning to slight any team, so if I've overlooked anyone in the overall team race feel free to correct my mistake.

WP1992

Re: 2020 OVAC tournament preview

Postby WP1992 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:20 pm

I think its a 3 team race. However, I think Beaver may have a larger advantage by the time the tournament roles around than your data would suggest. They have a returning OVAC runner-up that is not in the line up. I personally look for them to find a way to fit him into their line up in an effort to distance themselves from the field. Especially considering they lost a very good wrestler (OVAC runner up as a freshman) in the off season that transferred to a non-OVAC school. All that being said, it should be an exciting tournament.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:55 am

South will make a solid run at it this year. They will have a lot of top 8 finishers. By rankings, my big prediction is Brady Roberts at 106 will win his weight. It's a very weak weight class and he is tougher than he'll get credit for up there. Freshmen Ford and Jones will be 2 more to watch throughout. Beaver Local, Oh will again have a solid tournament I'm sure. They have a lot of returning placers/finalists. The bonus points and 8 or 9 finalists helped them a lot last year. They were impressive. Adding Wheeling Park to the mix will make it interesting. I'd love a good team race.

Wraslin11

Postby Wraslin11 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:11 am

Just a Fan wrote:South will make a solid run at it this year. They will have a lot of top 8 finishers. By rankings, my big prediction is Brady Roberts at 106 will win his weight. It's a very weak weight class and he is tougher than he'll get credit for up there. Freshmen Ford and Jones will be 2 more to watch throughout. Beaver Local, Oh will again have a solid tournament I'm sure. They have a lot of returning placers/finalists. The bonus points and 8 or 9 finalists helped them a lot last year. They were impressive. Adding Wheeling Park to the mix will make it interesting. I'd love a good team race.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:52 am

When do the seeds and brackets come out? I am assuming it will be on that ovac website?

Coach_Asbury

Postby Coach_Asbury » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Just a Fan wrote:When do the seeds and brackets come out? I am assuming it will be on that ovac website?

The press release is always the Monday before the tournament begins. Seeds and Brackets are released at that time.

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm

They will come out Monday night at the press conference

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:20 pm

With the weight changes, Beaver Local made they look like the favorites right now

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:52 am

Are the weights wrestled tonight at Park those they will be using for their roster for the tourney? I presumed that Ours would be back at 132, so will Woodburn, Emmerling, and Salisbury not move back down a weight class? It would be a shame for Woodburn because he looked quite good, even up a weight at 132. The only change I figured to be permanent was Lasure going up to 160 away from Hall and Roberts. Potts looks more than good enough to place high at 152 and Lasure could possibly win it all at 160. I agree they appear to be the front runner. It looks like a two team race.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:13 am

Lasure had a sudden unexplained weight gain to 160 and Kellar ran to 145. 152 is clearing out. Love that the wv boys are skeering ‘em

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Looking at the new rankings on that ovaec website, I'd assume Beaver Local's westlers moving up and down is more of a matter of getting all their kids in their lineup at OVAC. Like someone hinted at earlier, it doesn't make much sense to have a returning runner-up on the bench if they can avoid it. However, I could be way off. Just best guess. For Kellar, he may be going to 145 for the year? Don't know how much he knows about WV or the ovac? Similar to Beaver, I don't know much about his team, but aren't they new to the ovac tourney?

What does the point spread look like with the current rankings? Obviously rankings are not of most importance and not always accurate. Just good to get a guage. Am hoping a WV team can win it!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 am

Just a Fan wrote:Looking at the new rankings on that ovaec website, I'd assume Beaver Local's westlers moving up and down is more of a matter of getting all their kids in their lineup at OVAC. Like someone hinted at earlier, it doesn't make much sense to have a returning runner-up on the bench if they can avoid it. However, I could be way off. Just best guess. For Kellar, he may be going to 145 for the year? Don't know how much he knows about WV or the ovac? Similar to Beaver, I don't know much about his team, but aren't they new to the ovac tourney?

What does the point spread look like with the current rankings? Obviously rankings are not of most importance and not always accurate. Just good to get a guage. Am hoping a WV team can win it!

No, there was no change to get anyone in the lineup, only switching 152 and 160. Would seem a strategic move to avoid Peyton Hall. I'm guessing Lasure will return to 152 to compete for the state tournament. Nothing wrong with that.
However, unfortunately by switching the lineup at the Park match the Park kids at 113, 120, and 126 didn't get the opportunity to meet the Beaver Local wrestlers that avoided them. Don't know if this will come back to haunt the for seeding since they avoided wrestling those in their weight class. Might have to seed all 3 below those they avoided. We'll have to wait and see if the committee frowns on that.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:51 am

KDunbar wrote:
Just a Fan wrote:Looking at the new rankings on that ovaec website, I'd assume Beaver Local's westlers moving up and down is more of a matter of getting all their kids in their lineup at OVAC. Like someone hinted at earlier, it doesn't make much sense to have a returning runner-up on the bench if they can avoid it. However, I could be way off. Just best guess. For Kellar, he may be going to 145 for the year? Don't know how much he knows about WV or the ovac? Similar to Beaver, I don't know much about his team, but aren't they new to the ovac tourney?

No, there was no change to get anyone in the lineup, only switching 152 and 160. Would seem a strategic move to avoid Peyton Hall. I'm guessing Lasure will return to 152 to compete for the state tournament. Nothing wrong with that.
However, unfortunately by switching the lineup at the Park match the Park kids at 113, 120, and 126 didn't get the opportunity to meet the Beaver Local wrestlers that avoided them. Don't know if this will come back to haunt the for seeding since they avoided wrestling those in their weight class. Might have to seed all 3 below those they avoided. We'll have to wait and see if the committee frowns on that.

Is their 152 that's in there now normally in their lineup for tournaments? I am sure no one is eager to wrestle Hall or Roberts as both are very elite wrestlers on the mat. I enjoy watching Roberts, especially, as I see him a lot more. But, if getting an OVAC runner-up into the lineup that normally isn't in the lineup for tournaments can happen and the other can possibly win a title at 160, it sounds like a smart strategic move. I get why they're doing it. The website says they won the dual vs Park 43-23. Have the 120 and 126 been down at all this season for them? I looked through the dual results and have not seen them down. I don't like to use the term avoiding if it's not warranted. I think Park is a very good, young team. They are going to make some noise. But, I give respect where respect is due and this Ohio team impressed last year.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 am

Beaver local didn’t switch their 152 and 160. Potts has been the back up 145 all year after losing to Salsberry, the current 145. Based on the rankings and the moves they made at the Park dual, they are inserting Potts as a returning OVAC runner up at 152 and bumping Lasure and Krupnik to 160 and 170. At least on paper, this gives them an additional placer and a better chance at an extra finalist. Smart move and good use of your assets in my opinion. They are also moving The 120 and 126 down to 113 and 120 in order it get Woodbury into the lineup at 126, who is also a quality wrestler with the ability to place. In talkng to their fans at the dual, the lower weights will remain the same the rest of the year. It’s going to be a fun OVAC, as always! Good luck to all!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 am

Just a Fan wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Is their 152 that's in there now normally in their lineup for tournaments? I am sure no one is eager to wrestle Hall or Roberts as both are very elite wrestlers on the mat. I enjoy watching Roberts, especially, as I see him a lot more. But, if getting an OVAC runner-up into the lineup that normally isn't in the lineup for tournaments can happen and the other can possibly win a title at 160, it sounds like a smart strategic move. I get why they're doing it. The website says they won the dual vs Park 43-23. Have the 120 and 126 been down at all this season for them? I looked through the dual results and have not seen them down. I don't like to use the term avoiding if it's not warranted. I think Park is a very good, young team. They are going to make some noise. But, I give respect where respect is due and this Ohio team impressed last year.

Let me clarify, I'm not an expert on Beaver Locals lineup. I also am not meaning to imply anything negative about their team or tactics. It appears I was in error about the switching at 152/160. It was an inserting and bumping up. I agree, nothing wrong with that. In fact there is nothing wrong with anything that they did or are doing. At the lower weights in using the word avoiding I didn't mean running, just that the match-ups that could have helped with the seeding at 113, 120, and 126 didn't get to occur. At 126, Emmerling was there at the Ironman, but is in the OVAC rankings at 120 and wrestled up at 126 at Park. At 113, Salsibury is ranked at 113, but wrestled up at 120 at Park. Because of that, Taggert did not get the chance to improve his ranking for the tournament. I'm not implying that anything wrong or devious happened. Just stating an observation that by avoiding these match-ups no possible changes in the rankings could occur. It certainly wasn't a move needed in order to win the dual. I'm guessing it was done primarily because Ours at 132 was out of the line-up. He certainly wasn't out in order to dodge anyone. The point that WP1992 made in the above post about getting Woodbury into the lineup echoes the comment I made earlier about how good he looked at the Park dual. For me, the better the wrestlers are in the tournament, the better the tournament. I don't care what school they're from.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am

KDunbar wrote:
Just a Fan wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Let me clarify, I'm not an expert on Beaver Locals lineup. I also am not meaning to imply anything negative about their team or tactics. It appears I was in error about the switching at 152/160. It was an inserting and bumping up. I agree, nothing wrong with that. In fact there is nothing wrong with anything that they did or are doing. At the lower weights in using the word avoiding I didn't mean running, just that the match-ups that could have helped with the seeding at 113, 120, and 126 didn't get to occur. At 126, Emmerling was there at the Ironman, but is in the OVAC rankings at 120 and wrestled up at 126 at Park. At 113, Salsibury is ranked at 113, but wrestled up at 120 at Park. Because of that, Taggert did not get the chance to improve his ranking for the tournament. I'm not implying that anything wrong or devious happened. Just stating an observation that by avoiding these match-ups no possible changes in the rankings could occur. It certainly wasn't a move needed in order to win the dual. I'm guessing it was done primarily because Ours at 132 was out of the line-up. He certainly wasn't out in order to dodge anyone. The point that WP1992 made in the above post about getting Woodbury into the lineup echoes the comment I made earlier about how good he looked at the Park dual. For me, the better the wrestlers are in the tournament, the better the tournament. I don't care what school they're from.

Well said. Should be a great tournament this weekend. Will the Patriots regain the throne? Seeds are out I see on that ovaec website. Safe travels to those headings up north to Wheeling!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Most shocking (although it is frequently being talked about in wrestling) info out with the OVAC Tournament is as follows:
The possibly biggest conference wrestling tournament (maybe it was east of the Mississippi, I don't remember) has 44 "teams" or actually schools entered.
Unfortunately, there are only enough wrestlers entered to make up 31 teams.
Unfortunately there are about 10 schools entered with less than or only half a team.
Unfortunately there are only 12 schools entered with full teams.

All told, we're missing 175 wrestlers from the tournament. That's over a 26% deficit.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Change at 285 for South?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 pm

KDunbar wrote:Most shocking (although it is frequently being talked about in wrestling) info out with the OVAC Tournament is as follows:
The possibly biggest conference wrestling tournament (maybe it was east of the Mississippi, I don't remember) has 44 "teams" or actually schools entered.
Unfortunately there are about 10 schools entered with less than or only half a team.

All told, we're missing 175 wrestlers from the tournament. That's over a 26% deficit.

It sounds like it is time to add JV wrestlers and also implement a "Less Than" division.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:15 am

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:Most shocking (although it is frequently being talked about in wrestling) info out with the OVAC Tournament is as follows:

It sounds like it is time to add JV wrestlers and also implement a "Less Than" division.

I knew that was coming. I applaud the persistence ;) !

gmohr

Postby gmohr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Hey thanks for everyone's comments.
Looking for the brackets and results for the OVAC tournament.
Went on OVAC.org but couldn't find anything current.
Anyone have a link?
Will the finals be streamed?
Thanks in advance!

RickWelkerShow

Postby RickWelkerShow » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 pm

OVAEC.org

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

South has wrapped up the team OVAC title.
Moderator WV Mat

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm

That was one of the most entertaining tournaments I have witnessed in a long time.... 145 and 152 finals were incredible matches with 4 great wrestlers.. wow.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Braxton Amos won an award for being the only wrestler in OVAC history to end his career undefeated.

Braxton is now 126-0 and has not gave up an offensive point to any opponent.

Let that sink in for a bit.
Moderator WV Mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 am

Gator wrote:Braxton Amos won an award for being the only wrestler in OVAC history to end his career undefeated.

Well not exactly ending his career undefeated, as he has a few more matches to go. But he has ended his "OVAC career/participation" as an undefeated wrestler.
He also won the "Bierkortte Award" (OVAC version of the most outstanding wrestler for the tournament) and the "Hercules Award" for the least cumulative time wrestled with first period pins in all 5 championship round matches wrestled. This totaled 4 minutes 31 seconds, or about 54 seconds a match.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 am

KDunbar wrote:
Gator wrote:Braxton Amos won an award for being the only wrestler in OVAC history to end his career undefeated.

Well not exactly ending his career undefeated, as he has a few more matches to go. But he has ended his "OVAC career/participation" as an undefeated wrestler.
He also won the "Bierkortte Award" (OVAC version of the most outstanding wrestler for the tournament) and the "Hercules Award" for the least cumulative time wrestled with first period pins in all 5 championship round matches wrestled. This totaled 4 minutes 31 seconds, or about 54 seconds a match.

I did say “in OVAC history” Mr Dunbar! ;)
Moderator WV Mat

luv2wrestle

Postby luv2wrestle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Studcradle wrote:Lasure had a sudden unexplained weight gain to 160 and Kellar ran to 145. 152 is clearing out. Love that the wv boys are skeering ‘em

Kellar didn’t run to 145 that’s what he’s wrestling all year. He was projected at 152 while recovering from an injury

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:39 pm

All apologies. Figured the ranker still ovaec got the information from someone on the coaching staff. He doesn’t usually just guess. You think he would beat Hall and Roberts?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 am

Studcradle wrote:All apologies. Figured the ranker still ovaec got the information from someone on the coaching staff. He doesn’t usually just guess. You think he would beat Hall and Roberts?

I'm guessing that just like Quiocho, he'd give them a good match until the size factor might take over. With their age, size, and experience they both are just at a little higher level.
What would be cool would be to see both of the 145 & 152 match-ups wrestle all out in practice where they could be a little less careful without all of the marbles on the line. Kind of like the last seconds of the 145 match when both guys opened it up and the sparks flew. Worth the price of admission.

Return to “High School Wrestling”