Why is there not seperation of A and AA for the state Tournament?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
firedawg64

Why is there not seperation of A and AA for the state Tournament?

Postby firedawg64 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:43 pm

I have been asking this question as to why A and AA are not seperated at the state tournament? It seems we have enough schools in each of the classes, but may need to realign regions. This would give the schools more of a fighting chance to have a AA or A State Champion at their school. Or if we are going to combine do it to all 3 have 1 champion per weight class.

Diamond

Re: Why is there not seperation of A and AA for the state Tournament?

Postby Diamond » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm

I’m guessing you are the parent of a freshman class A wrestler that never read the high school board before this year?

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:03 pm

One class. One champ.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:47 pm

No Not a Parent of a freshman just trying to figure put why you have AAA champions then it goes to AA/A champions. Either they need combined all together or split each class up.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 am

firedawg64 wrote:No Not a Parent of a freshman just trying to figure put why you have AAA champions then it goes to AA/A champions. Either they need combined all together or split each class up.

We all know that there is no way that AA/A truly want it all one tournament, other than a few random individuals when the issue of separating A from AA gets brought up. Be careful what you wish for.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:26 pm

i agree with you lets have one division and run it like the ovac

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:39 pm

firedawg64 wrote:I have been asking this question as to why A and AA are not seperated at the state tournament? It seems we have enough schools in each of the classes, but may need to realign regions. This would give the schools more of a fighting chance to have a AA or A State Champion at their school. Or if we are going to combine do it to all 3 have 1 champion per weight class.
go look at last years single a challenge that happened in jan. and you will have your answer to why single a is not ready for their own division.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Every single A team did not attend. If Every team did attend, plus the new teams that are dropping down from AA. That tournament would be very legit.
Same way if the Wvssac gave Single A a chance for their own state tournament,
But that only happens in other sports. With some AA. Teams dropping down next year now is the time to give it a TRY!!
4 classes for basketball. Come on!! At least give 3 classes a try in wrestling.
If it doesn't work go back.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:48 pm

I don’t see a reason to water it down. 26 wrestling schools and the majority are partial rosters in A. We complained about byes in AAA last few years. Yeesh. I’d love to see that thread :roll:

“Beware of the ringworm!”
Dan Gable

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Not all was there but 14 teams with 9 jv teams and one weight class had 4 kids. Most had 8 or less. 145 had the most with 14 with 4 being backups. 285 had 13 with 4 being backups. Even with the other teams single a would be lucky to have 2 weights reach 16.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:54 pm

the Wvssac allows single sports to elect to move up in classification. If aaa is easier, I would think that we would see some single a teams bumping up.

Qualityshots

Postby Qualityshots » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:41 pm

As a parent of a state champion I have always wondered the complete opposite. A state champion should be "THE" state champion in his class wrestling all of the above A,AA,AAA. If you look at the past 10 years can you say that there was no way a AA champ couldnt have beat the AAA champ? You really cant sat that unless that state champ wrestled the other in Fairmont or the Zs etc. I think we should run it the way we do then the 2 champs in each division wrestle for all the cheese. Just my opinion

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:18 am

csmith11 wrote:i agree with you lets have one division and run it like the ovac

If more people were familiar with how the OVAC does it, I think more would want it. And then you could add a sectional to make up for that stupid/useless empty week they added a few years back
In the end we win

Ericnoel

Postby Ericnoel » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am

Imo it would be dumb to split the state touenament into 3. As a former state champion I always wished there was just 1 state tournament so I would have known I was the true state champ.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Why can there not be 3 brackets and then 3 team state champs? Each class will be equally represented and at the end let all 3 classes wrestle off for an overall champ. Not real difficult brackets. Just food for thought. Mostly all other sports are split and each has a true champion per class.

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:19 pm

firedawg64 wrote:Why can there not be 3 brackets and then 3 team state champs? Each class will be equally represented and at the end let all 3 classes wrestle off for an overall champ. Not real difficult brackets. Just food for thought. Mostly all other sports are split and each has a true champion per class.
what do you call equally represented? i see 2/3 of the weights not even having 16 kids.

aaacoach33

Postby aaacoach33 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:34 pm

8 sections
4 regions
1 champ
Perfect!
In the end we win

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:03 pm

aaacoach33 wrote:
csmith11 wrote:i agree with you lets have one division and run it like the ovac

If more people were familiar with how the OVAC does it, I think more would want it. And then you could add a sectional to make up for that stupid/useless empty week they added a few years back

I think those in Single A lamenting not having a separate tournament (which is how the current discussion got started; as bad as that idea is) would be of the opinion that moving to a tournament like the OVAC would be far worse (in their opinion) that just leaving it the way it is with AA/A combined. After all, doing it like the OVAC would be nothing different than WV just combining all 3 classes. There is nothing different done in the OVAC, unless of course every team got to bring their entire team to the state tournament.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:15 pm

aaacoach33 wrote:8 sections
4 regions
1 champ
Perfect!

The person bringing up the original question was already "sad" because of their perception of this being unfair to the Single A teams as it is. Although I strongly disagree with their point of view, this idea is just rubbing salt into their perceived wound. As I've said before, my only concern is for the kid who never got the chance to try for a meaningful goal because somebody diluted the competition down so much that the title was .... whatever word won't offend you.

Return to “High School Wrestling”