Sad news today

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
coach_stump

Sad news today

Postby coach_stump » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:54 pm

I just received a phone call of the passing of Matt Ashley. My condolonces to the Ashley family.

mscoach27

Re: Sad news today

Postby mscoach27 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 pm

One of the greatest men Ive ever known. The impact he had on the Wirt Wresting program will never go away. Hardly a day goes by that his name or one of his lessons doent come up.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:17 pm

An old time friend. Many softball games with Matt over the years and I always made my way over to the Calhoun section to talk with Matt at the state tournament.

You will be missed my friend, but never forgotten. God’s peace and healing for his family.

WV’s first 4X State champion!
Moderator WV Mat

aacoach30

Postby aacoach30 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:06 am

Very sorry to hear this. My condolonces to the family.

Panico

Postby Panico » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:57 am

Sorry to hear this. I lost to Matt for his 4th state championship in the finals. He taught me a lesson that I still pass on today to the boys that I coached thur the years and to the kids I coach today at Mountaineer middle school. He was without a doubt the toughest opponent I ever wrestled from high school thur college. I lost with the handshake before the match, he intimidated me that I settled for second place before I even wrestled, still haunts/motivates me today 40 years later. One of the toughest “corncobbs” I ever come across in my life. Later on when we crossed paths he was a super respectful friendly man. Thank you Matt for one of the best lessons that I ever received in life. RIP Matt Ashley. WV first 4 time State Wrestling Champion.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:19 pm

My condolences and prayers to the Ashley family and to the wrestling family in general!! Matt was an outstanding wrestler, a great coach and motivator, and more importantly a good man and true friend!!! I called his matches when he wrestled, I called his teams matches when he coached and I talked wrestling with him at many tournaments thru out the years. He will be missed by many!!!!!!

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:09 pm

The family will be making final arrangements this evening. I will post as soon as I hear from them.

Rams1

Postby Rams1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Devastation is the only word that comes to mind quickly. As Matt's coach his 9th and 10th grade years at Spencer --I had the great fortune of watching a work ethic that was incredible. The memories that he made as a Yellowjacket wrestler helped to create one of WV's elite wrestling programs. My heart truly bleeds for John and Barb and the rest of the family. The Ashley family exemplified what wrestling is about ---dedication, hard work and a never quit drive. I will miss Matt more than words can express. His strong hugs, great smiles and special friendship will last forever. After losing our son Andrew to a car accident in 2012 --today feels like I lost another part of my family. Heaven now has true WRESTLER!!

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Viewing for Coach Ashley will be from 5-7 Monday evening, with services starting at 7 at the Stump Funeral Home at the Arnoldsburg location.

gbender1wv

Postby gbender1wv » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:02 pm

I knew him as a good student, good athlete, good coach, and a good friend. In our hearts in Gods hands, Rest in Peace Mat

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:15 pm

Quite the tribute to Matt Ashley and his family last night!!!!! The line for visitation was out the door and down the parking lot and the wrestlers and coaches and community members showed up from many schools and towns to pay tribute to an outstanding wrestler, dedicated coach and wonderful human being!! Rest in peace Matt and God speed. GK

Return to “High School Wrestling”