SUPER MATCH POSSIBILITY!! OG vs WP vs PHS

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

SUPER MATCH POSSIBILITY!! OG vs WP vs PHS

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:02 pm

Oak Glen vs Wheeling Park vs Parkersburg vs Steubenville goes down Wednesday, January 8th at 1800 hours at Wheeling Park.

Now here is what SHOULD go down: At 160, AAA #1 ranked John Martin Best meets #2 ranked Canon Welker.

Now here is what COULD go down: Bump AA/A #1 ranked Peyton Hall up to 160 to give the fans something to crap their singlet over.

Hall vs Best vs Welker!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

The potential for TWO nationally ranked West Virginia wrestlers to meet right here at home!! Hmmmmmmmm

Look at the opportunity Welker has. Possibly wrestle TWO nationally ranked wrestlers on the same night AT HOME!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Diamond

Re: SUPER MATCH POSSIBILITY!! OG vs WP vs PHS

Postby Diamond » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:16 pm

Team scores be damned...give the fans some matches to get excited about!! I don’t know if Oak Glen will bump Hall but on paper it looks like Oak Glen will have a tough time in all 3 duals. Let’s see Hall vs Best-Welker-Pappas and a combo of them against one another. If not let’s bump some 145 up to 152 or whatever. I’d like to see some great matches, not good wrestlers dodging great competition. Do it for the fans! Wrestling is not as popular as it could be because top competition avoids other top competition. These are the rare chances to pump some life into WV wrestling. We have more nationally ranked wrestlers in the state now than ever. Hopefully, there will be more in the future. WV is becoming a force, dodging competition will not advance it. Let’s get it on!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 am

I agree the above hypothetical matches would be great to watch for fans of wrestling. However, fans of wrestling often get caught up in what they would like to see instead of what is good for a particular wrestler and/or his/her team. Though an individual wrestler steps onto the mat by him/herself, it is also still a team sport with wins and losses at stake for said team as well as the individual wrestler. I agree and hate to see a wrestler dodge another from their own weight class, but it also doesn't make much sense for a wrestler to jump out of their weight class to wrestle in another unless it benefits the team, despite what we would all like to watch for entertainment purposes. There still should be some entertaining matches at this event. Good luck to all involved.

Coach_Beech

Postby Coach_Beech » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:18 pm

What's the possibility they have an Exhibition match later in the day? I remember wrestling my weight class, then having an Exhibition match (which wouldn't count on your record) after the last match.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Coach_Beech wrote:What's the possibility they have an Exhibition match later in the day? I remember wrestling my weight class, then having an Exhibition match (which wouldn't count on your record) after the last match.

That would be a good idea.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Many schools of thought. Opinions vary as to what is BEST for the team. I shall try to stay as factual as I can.

1. Two seasons ago, Hall went to Ironman ALONE. He placed 7th. This placement more than likely PAVED the way for Creese and Moore to JOIN Hall at Ironman the following season. No Hall to Ironman and no 7th placement, then NO Creese or Moore to Ironman the following season.

2. This season, Oak Glen took FOUR wrestlers to Ironman. Hall placed 3rd. Creese won matches and lost close, close ones. I didn't check on the other wrestlers. Hall helped his team by going and winning. The administration and coaching staff approved splitting the team and going in different directions. Rewarding hard work with opportunity is still the BEST approach these days despite it not being common practice.

3. Oak Glen has zero chance defeating Wheeling Park in a dual. Zero!!!!!

4. Oak Glen vs Parkersburg is closer than we think I guess. However, if Hall goes 152 he scores 6 points. If Best goes 160 against Oak Glen's 160, he scores 6 points. 6-6 = 0. No team gained anything. The fans gained nothing. The national spotlight gained nothing. Flo has nothing to talk about or nothing to do.

5. If Hall wrestles Best, then one school gains 3 team points and the other school scores nothing.

6. Hall beat Best 8-0 at 120lbs when they were freshmen. Best beat Hall this fall in an open tournament. Both are uno and uno.

7. PHS is AAA. OG is AA. Winning the dual doesn't mean much. These schools are not ranked against each other and they will not compete against each other in the regional and state tournaments.

8. Based on the math above, it appears that Best vs Hall is needed to win the dual. Does Parkersburg have confidence in Best? We will see. Does Oak Glen have confidence in Hall? We will see.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 am

Bearhugger wrote:Many schools of thought. Opinions vary as to what is BEST for the team. I shall try to stay as factual as I can.

1. Two seasons ago, Hall went to Ironman ALONE. He placed 7th. This placement more than likely PAVED the way for Creese and Moore to JOIN Hall at Ironman the following season. No Hall to Ironman and no 7th placement, then NO Creese or Moore to Ironman the following season.

2. This season, Oak Glen took FOUR wrestlers to Ironman. Hall placed 3rd. Creese won matches and lost close, close ones. I didn't check on the other wrestlers. Hall helped his team by going and winning. The administration and coaching staff approved splitting the team and going in different directions. Rewarding hard work with opportunity is still the BEST approach these days despite it not being common practice.

4. Oak Glen vs Parkersburg is closer than we think I guess. However, if Hall goes 152 he scores 6 points. If Best goes 160 against Oak Glen's 160, he scores 6 points. 6-6 = 0. No team gained anything. The fans gained nothing. The national spotlight gained nothing. Flo has nothing to talk about or nothing to do.

5. If Hall wrestles Best, then one school gains 3 team points and the other school scores nothing.

6. Hall beat Best 8-0 at 120lbs when they were freshmen. Best beat Hall this fall in an open tournament. Both are uno and uno.

7. PHS is AAA. OG is AA. Winning the dual doesn't mean much. These schools are not ranked against each other and they will not compete against each other in the regional and state tournaments.

8. Based on the math above, it appears that Best vs Hall is needed to win the dual. Does Parkersburg have confidence in Best? We will see. Does Oak Glen have confidence in Hall? We will see.

Regarding statement 8 above, Parkersburg has no option to move Best down to meet Hall, regardless of their confidence.

I personally feel it should be the wrestler's decision whether to move, unless it truly affects the team outcome. They're high school wrestlers and they wrestle for themselves and owe nothing to the fans.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:09 am

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:Many schools of thought. Opinions vary as to what is BEST for the team. I shall try to stay as factual as I can.

Regarding statement 8 above, Parkersburg has no option to move Best down to meet Hall, regardless of their confidence.

I personally feel it should be the wrestler's decision whether to move, unless it truly affects the team outcome. They're high school wrestlers and they wrestle for themselves and owe nothing to the fans.

Well stated.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:05 am

KDunbar wrote:

I do not dispute your opinion. However, wrestlers have complained for decades that they and their sport do not get the recognition of other sports. Increased forfeits and coaches/wrestlers avoiding the big matches doesn't help matters. Fans shell out money to support the teams in the form of admission and fundraisers. Without these contributions, the teams make no money. No money, no travel to worthwhile tournaments. You are correct, Best cannot go down. However, if Hall goes 160, does PHS send Best out?

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 pm

1.Saying no Hall to Ironman means no Creese or Moore is an opinion and not factual. Who knows what would have happened if Hall didn't go and represent WV so well, to speculate otherwise is an opinion.

2. Glad WV kids are going to tough tournaments and representing well. But to reference my above point, Creese and Moore could just have easily worked hard enough to "deserve" to go to Ironman without Hall going the year before. To say otherwise is speculation and an opinion.

3. That is an opinion. Anything can happen when matches are wrestled. Saying OG has zero chance of winning is incredibly disrespectful, and purely an opinion.

4. Who knows how close the dual will be. But saying Hall or Best is a guaranteed 6 points is once again pretty disrespectful to the opponents, and an opinion. As fantastic as Best or Hall are, anything can happen on a wrestling mat, including not getting pinned. Fans will go regardless if Hall or Best wrestle, announcing they may wrestle wont affect attendance at all I would wager. But that is an opinion, which falls in line with the theme of your points.

5. Yes that is how scoring in a dual works, thank you for educating us.

6. That stuff doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Maybe if they were 1-1 in season it would mean something, but using a match nearly 4 years ago as some kind of selling point doesn't mean much.

7. To YOU it doesn't mean much. To the wrestlers and coaches, it matters. The goal in wrestling is to win. Duals, tournaments, individual matches. Saying it doesn't mean much is out of touch with how the actual wrestlers and coaches feel.

8. What math? Do you have a crystal ball that you use to see the future and know exactly how each match will turn out? I will go out on a limb and say you don't. To say that this match is needed to win the dual is an opinion, and a particularly bad one. I imagine each wrestler has confidence they will win, and each coach has confidence in their wrestler. To suggest that if they don't wrestle they don't have confidence is as asinine as the rest of your post.

Not to mention moving Hall up screws over the rest of the wrestlers above him. What of OG's original 160, is it fair to just kick him out of the spot for a match the fans might enjoy? "Sorry kid, i know you earned your spot, but we are benching you so a bunch of fans can have a great 6 minutes.". Is that what you are suggesting? How incredibly disrespectful to that kid, not only is that unfair but it robs a kid of a great opportunity to wrestle an amazing wrestler like Best and gain some knowledge and experience. Coaches and wrestlers don't avoid the big matches, and by bumping Hall up you would leave a forfeit at 152 unless OG can replace. We would all like to see them wrestle, and OG has a tremendous staff and pedigree for wrestling, we should all trust that THEY will make the best decision for THEIR team. But to act like its such an easy feet to achieve and it's "whats best" is ridiculous.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 pm

JustSomeone wrote:

1.Saying no Hall to Ironman means no Creese or Moore is an opinion and not factual. Who knows what would have happened if Hall didn't go and represent WV so well, to speculate otherwise is an opinion.

2. Glad WV kids are going to tough tournaments and representing well. But to reference my above point, Creese and Moore could just have easily worked hard enough to "deserve" to go to Ironman without Hall going the year before. To say otherwise is speculation and an opinion.

3. That is an opinion. Anything can happen when matches are wrestled. Saying OG has zero chance of winning is incredibly disrespectful, and purely an opinion.

4. Who knows how close the dual will be. But saying Hall or Best is a guaranteed 6 points is once again pretty disrespectful to the opponents, and an opinion. As fantastic as Best or Hall are, anything can happen on a wrestling mat, including not getting pinned. Fans will go regardless if Hall or Best wrestle, announcing they may wrestle wont affect attendance at all I would wager. But that is an opinion, which falls in line with the theme of your points.

5. Yes that is how scoring in a dual works, thank you for educating us.

6. That stuff doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Maybe if they were 1-1 in season it would mean something, but using a match nearly 4 years ago as some kind of selling point doesn't mean much.

7. To YOU it doesn't mean much. To the wrestlers and coaches, it matters. The goal in wrestling is to win. Duals, tournaments, individual matches. Saying it doesn't mean much is out of touch with how the actual wrestlers and coaches feel.

8. What math? Do you have a crystal ball that you use to see the future and know exactly how each match will turn out? I will go out on a limb and say you don't. To say that this match is needed to win the dual is an opinion, and a particularly bad one. I imagine each wrestler has confidence they will win, and each coach has confidence in their wrestler. To suggest that if they don't wrestle they don't have confidence is as asinine as the rest of your post.

Not to mention moving Hall up screws over the rest of the wrestlers above him. What of OG's original 160, is it fair to just kick him out of the spot for a match the fans might enjoy? "Sorry kid, i know you earned your spot, but we are benching you so a bunch of fans can have a great 6 minutes.". Is that what you are suggesting? How incredibly disrespectful to that kid, not only is that unfair but it robs a kid of a great opportunity to wrestle an amazing wrestler like Best and gain some knowledge and experience. Coaches and wrestlers don't avoid the big matches, and by bumping Hall up you would leave a forfeit at 152 unless OG can replace. We would all like to see them wrestle, and OG has a tremendous staff and pedigree for wrestling, we should all trust that THEY will make the best decision for THEIR team. But to act like its such an easy feet to achieve and it's "whats best" is ridiculous.

I am still throwing shade. Lets sit back and see how all of this unfolds.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 pm

The word on the street is Hall is going 160 for all 3 matches tonight.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:44 am

Bearhugger wrote:The word on the street is Hall is going 160 for all 3 matches tonight.

He did

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:10 am

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The word on the street is Hall is going 160 for all 3 matches tonight.

He did

In your spare time, perhaps you can give us your overview of this quad since you attended. The dialogue above would be a great foundation to use for the feedback. I will add that the only detail of any given match I have read or heard of so far is the Best vs Hall match.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

He did

In your spare time, perhaps you can give us your overview of this quad since you attended. The dialogue above would be a great foundation to use for the feedback. I will add that the only detail of any given match I have read or heard of so far is the Best vs Hall match.

Yes, that was by me. I don't have the actual results of the matches in any detail. I am reluctant to attempt to give any input on the matches since I don't have actual match scores. I can assure you there were certainly various opinions regarding the outcomes of several matches based on which school you happened to be supporting. However, the Hall vs. Best match was a good one from start to finish without a lot of controversy. It's a toss up as to who would prevail the next time.

Return to “High School Wrestling”