FORFEIT’S

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
abettnman

FORFEIT’S

Postby abettnman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Big debate on and between teams, during a dual if a wrestler gets a forfeit should that count as a WIN on his/her overall record for WINS in career ?

What do you think, or what is the unwritten rule or even a written rule, or coach/team discrepancy?

Studcradle

Re: FORFEIT’S

Postby Studcradle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:04 am

Forfeits = win
Byes = no contest

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 am

I absolutely agree with Studcradle!

If a wrestler on our team gets his or her hand raised, it counts as a win, so forfeits count as wins but byes don’t. (I’ve had to explain this to more than one freshman parent. :) )

When I submit seeding criteria documentation, I list the record, but I also note how many of those wins were forfeits.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:29 am

Forfeits should definitely count towards record. Many great wrestlers will get bumped around at duals.

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 pm

A forfeit should count. A wrestler who made weight, prepared all week, showed up for the tournament and steps on the mat ready to wrestle should not be denied credit for that because the other team did not produce a wrestler to compete with him.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Just a Fan wrote:Forfeits should definitely count towards record. Many great wrestlers will get bumped around at duals.

Agreed. I think many great wrestlers get avoided more. Braxton Amos might lead the state in "career forfeit wins vs instate opponents". Hey Jenny, what does your records state on this?

I believe Braxton actually got 5 matches this past weekend. That might be history made!!!! How did he do it? He went 285 and none of his opponents could bump up or down. Cornered!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Actually, Hunter Cline (2012-15) leads the team in in-state forfeits with 32. He wrestled 106-113.

Samantha has 18 in-state forfeits.

Braxton has 11 in-state forfeits.

Hunter's of course were legitimate forfeits where the team either had no wrestler or bumped a kid up.

I can't confirm whether or not teams chose to forfeit to Samantha (especially her freshman year) because they didn't want their wrestler wrestling a girl.

Braxton's forfeits are a mixed bag. I know some are legitimate (for example, the case last year where Parkersburg High forfeited to him because Jeffery Jones was very sick and in the hospital), but I do recall some instances where a team would forfeit to Braxton at one of our quads, only to wrestle another team at 220 in the same quad.

Refreshingly, this year Braxton only has one forfeit so far, and it was a legitimate forfeit by Hurricane, who fielded no 220-pounder at the season-opening quad. And thanks to Braxton's plethora of actual matches, he leads the team in takedowns with 60, and is in third place in pins with 14 (behind pinning machines Gavin Quiocho with 17 and Brayden Roberts with 16).

fromzerotohero

Postby fromzerotohero » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:05 pm

If you get your hand raised, it's a win.

Return to “High School Wrestling”