Point vs South - Gauntlet of Pain

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Point vs South - Gauntlet of Pain

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:41 pm

The word on the street is the South vs Point dual will take place in the LAST round of the quad. I am sure this is a wise business move to boost concession sales. This is what happens when one mixes Dr Welkers handbook with Trumps Art of the Deal.

I just hope all of South's and Point's varsity squad members survive the two previous duals to meet at full strength.

I also wonder what trick South might have up their sleeve? Could we see Braxton Amos at 285? The JV phenom known as Oscar at 220?

People are coming as far as South Carolina to witness this historical event.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Truesouthfaninhunt

Re: Point vs South - Gauntlet of Pain

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 pm

No pain no gain

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Bearhugger wrote:The word on the street is the South vs Point dual will take place in the LAST round of the quad. I am sure this is a wise business move to boost concession sales. This is what happens when one mixes Dr Welkers handbook with Trumps Art of the Deal.

I just hope all of South's and Point's varsity squad members survive the two previous duals to meet at full strength.

I also wonder what trick South might have up their sleeve? Could we see Braxton Amos at 285? The JV phenom known as Oscar at 220?

This was such a hyped up dual, and hardly conversation about it as if none of you were there. I know it’s not because you guys weren’t there, because I seen you guys.

Sooooooooooo, why is there hardly NO talk Lets talk about the dual, in what was seen !!!

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm

I heard Point had a forfeit or two and still somehow pulled it off.

ObulReddenbacher

Postby ObulReddenbacher » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 pm

oroyos wrote:I heard Point had a forfeit or two and still somehow pulled it off.

If the weight classes would have been wrestled head to head where they were supposed to be, it would have been much worse.

41-21 I would say...

stumpy

Postby stumpy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 pm

One forfeit, One default but neither effected the outcome.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 pm

This dual was incredible. I was unbiased whereas the two best teams in WV were meeting. I hoped to see great matches and wanted everybody to walk away uninjured. One injury occurred but it will not prevent the wrestler from moving forward. Based on many inquiries I have received, it is fair to think that the whole state wants to know what happened during all 14 matches. I will address the two forfeits.

South flip flopped Childers and Roberts. Part of a strategy. Childers wrestled 152. Point decided to forfeit 160 to Roberts and move their 160 and 170 up to 170 and 182.

The 285 pound match ended with Coach Bonecutter calling off the match. I am not sure what the official call was.

The chess match and "pulling tricks from the coaches' sleeves began with the first match. The best dual I have ever seen.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:12 pm

I was there and watched the dual. It was very exciting and some great wrestling.

The only forfeit was at 160, when South moved Brayden Roberts up, but no opponent was sent out to wrestle him. Point and South both moved wrestlers around. Both had full lineups of wrestlers.

The difference in the dual was Point winning the close matches. 106 was tied at 5-5 and went to OT. 120 between Easton and Short was the best match of the day. Both kids wrestled hard and Isaac won 2-1.170 was a one point match. 220 was a one point match.

They don’t have to wait long for a tournament setting battle at WSAZ in two weeks. Should be another good battle.

Give credit to Point for a hard fought win and winning the close matches.
Moderator WV Mat

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:29 am

Point totally out coached their opponent

Wrestingfan789

Postby Wrestingfan789 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 am

how could you say they got out coached there was 4 matches that could have went either way by 1 point.Not sure where your getting that. Great dual 2 good wrestling teams for sure.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

abettnman wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The word on the street is the South vs Point dual will take place in the LAST round of the quad. I am sure this is a wise business move to boost concession sales. This is what happens when one mixes Dr Welkers handbook with Trumps Art of the Deal.

This was such a hyped up dual, and hardly conversation about it as if none of you were there. I know it’s not because you guys weren’t there, because I seen you guys.

Sooooooooooo, why is there hardly NO talk Lets talk about the dual, in what was seen !!!

If you were there then why are you not talking about it? Everyone would like to hear what you and anyone has to say. The rest of us just watched good wrestling, like we have been doing all year (and every year for many years for that matter). Was this your first experience?

Jchap8750

Postby Jchap8750 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Wow...really

Heath

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Jchap8750 wrote:Wow...really

Can anyone actually give head to head scores for each weight class?
How did point win the 220 when the "goat" is there?

I'm all for moving a stud up to face another stud but all the moving , more like DUCKING, around is ridiculous.
The "strategy" involved makes me think of the overused double switch in baseball. Get real. Set your lineups and see who is better. And a forfeit just to do it when you have a full line up is chicken &*^&(. Not a fan of either team. So no bias here.

Can you imagine a sell out between Iowa duel against whisky and instead of going against Desanto, Wisconsin forfeits, so Gross can clown Murin?

Or this past week. NW vs Sandusky state. The most hyped match going in is Riveria (if he'd of been healthy, it's hypothetical people) vs RBY. Two of the most athletic and quickest 133 pounders in the country and instead Riveria goes down to 125 to tech Meredith?
It's called coaches thinking people are there to watch their "strategy".

I could see two half assed teams going nowhere, and haven't won a duel in a decade, trying to get a win lol. This wasn't that.

Anyone have a link to the actual results? Thanks.

Whizzer

Postby Whizzer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Heath wrote:

I'm all for moving a stud up to face another stud but all the moving , more like DUCKING, around is ridiculous.
The "strategy" involved makes me think of the overused double switch in baseball. Get real. Set your lineups and see who is better. And a forfeit just to do it when you have a full line up is chicken &*^&(. Not a fan of either team. So no bias here.

Can you imagine a sell out between Iowa duel against whisky and instead of going against Desanto, Wisconsin forfeits, so Gross can clown Murin?

Or this past week. NW vs Sandusky state. The most hyped match going in is Riveria (if he'd of been healthy, it's hypothetical people) vs RBY. Two of the most athletic and quickest 133 pounders in the country and instead Riveria goes down to 125 to tech Meredith?

I could see two half assed teams going nowhere, and haven't won a duel in a decade, trying to get a win lol. This wasn't that.

They're posted under the results. If it was head to head straight up, it would had been a bigger deficit. Fact..!

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 am

:roll:
Whizzer wrote:
Heath wrote:

They're posted under the results. If it was head to head straight up, it would had been a bigger deficit. Fact..!

Agree! Genius job :roll:

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 am

vortexfan wrote::roll:
Whizzer wrote:
Heath wrote:Can anyone actually give head to head scores for each weight class?

South flip flopped Childers and Roberts. They planned on wrestling Lemus at 220 and Amos at 285 vs Point, they both wrestled those weights last Saturday for 5 matches.

Where was Points 160? No one mentioned that.
Moderator WV Mat

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 am

KDunbar wrote:
abettnman wrote:

If you were there then why are you not talking about it? Everyone would like to hear what you and anyone has to say. The rest of us just watched good wrestling, like we have been doing all year (and every year for many years for that matter). Was this your first experience?

YES, Mr. KDunbar this was my first experience, I will try my best to attend the WSAZ tournament I keep hearing about. Thanks

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 am

Throughout the many different discussion headers about this match, I have read where South got outcoached according to one member. I am now reading where a few members are saying if the normal rosters would have wrestled, Point would have won by a larger deficit.

Lets stop right there and review. If South was able to keep the point spread LOWER, then there must have been some solid coaching involved.

I didn't walk away thinking one team out coached the other. Both teams came fired up. South brought some kids that I have never seen in action before and two of them I have never heard of.

This was just a dual to warm everybody up for the real proving ground happening in less than two weeks.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:09 am

abettnman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
abettnman wrote:

YES, Mr. KDunbar this was my first experience, I will try my best to attend the WSAZ tournament I keep hearing about. Thanks

That sounds great. I hope you stay interested in high school wrestling. It's a great sport to follow. The WSAZ is on the 25th in Huntington and I think there's a link or info on the front page giving the information. Probably better be checking into hotel reservations real soon. They tend to fill up real quick.
So, what particular match at the dual did you find most interesting? I thought all the kids wrestled really hard. Didn't see anyone who looked out of shape or not giving it their all. I particularly liked the 106 lb match . I felt Henderson showed his experience and savvy with the first period takedown and 3 point near fall. Roberts made that freshman mistake of giving up back points. As opposed to middle school, you can't give a kid as good as Henderson the chance for back points because he'll hold you there before you can muscle out of it. It was then a valiant attempt to fight back over the ensuing 3 periods to tie it up at the end. Then in overtime I guess it's easy to second guess, but I don't think Roberts needed to use quite as desperate a move in going for the win since if you don't hit it you immediately lose. I'm wondering if he was still in the same mindset as he was in the 3rd period when he needed to do whatever it took to tie it up. Not being critical of him, just making an observation. Sooooooooooo what do you think?

Wrestingfan789

Postby Wrestingfan789 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 am

I saw that Sampson points 160 wrestled up and only beat south’s guy 6-5 is Somerville progressing that much or is Sampson slightly overrated ? Just curious any thoughts ?

Whizzer

Postby Whizzer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am

Wrestingfan789 wrote:I saw that Sampson points 160 wrestled up and only beat south’s guy 6-5 is Somerville progressing that much or is Sampson slightly overrated ? Just curious any thoughts ?

He controlled the whole match except for about five seconds of it. He has beat the #2 AAA 160, the #3 AAA 170, the #3 AA 160, #4 AAA 170. Beat ranked kids from Ohio. Lost to 2 out of state state champions. And wrestled the toughest team schedule in WV. Hasn’t lost in WV. Yeah, he’s overrated.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am

Wrestingfan789 wrote:I saw that Sampson points 160 wrestled up and only beat south’s guy 6-5 is Somerville progressing that much or is Sampson slightly overrated ? Just curious any thoughts ?

FYI it's not a good idea to refer to high school athletes as overrated in a forum like this.

Whizzer

Postby Whizzer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

Great logic! You are really showing your wrestling knowledge. The Parkersburg kid beat the Oak Glen kid by one point, do you think he’s overrated? wasn’t that south kid in the top five? Didn’t the kid move up in weight?

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm

KDunbar wrote:
abettnman wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

That sounds great. I hope you stay interested in high school wrestling. It's a great sport to follow. The WSAZ is on the 25th in Huntington and I think there's a link or info on the front page giving the information. Probably better be checking into hotel reservations real soon. They tend to fill up real quick.
So, what particular match at the dual did you find most interesting? I thought all the kids wrestled really hard. Didn't see anyone who looked out of shape or not giving it their all. I particularly liked the 106 lb match . I felt Henderson showed his experience and savvy with the first period takedown and 3 point near fall. Roberts made that freshman mistake of giving up back points. As opposed to middle school, you can't give a kid as good as Henderson the chance for back points because he'll hold you there before you can muscle out of it. It was then a valiant attempt to fight back over the ensuing 3 periods to tie it up at the end. Then in overtime I guess it's easy to second guess, but I don't think Roberts needed to use quite as desperate a move in going for the win since if you don't hit it you immediately lose. I'm wondering if he was still in the same mindset as he was in the 3rd period when he needed to do whatever it took to tie it up. Not being critical of him, just making an observation. Sooooooooooo what do you think?

Well, Mr. KDunbar since I am not as experienced as you, I do not feel I could do the dual justice. There is no way I could break the dual down as you just did and have such knowledgeable input on what took place. So therefore, I will just try to continue being a fan until I have the experience to comment on such dual.

ObulReddenbacher

Postby ObulReddenbacher » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Gator wrote:
vortexfan wrote::roll:
Whizzer wrote:

South flip flopped Childers and Roberts. They planned on wrestling Lemus at 220 and Amos at 285 vs Point, they both wrestled those weights last Saturday for 5 matches.

Where was Points 160? No one mentioned that.

You sat right there in the stands and watched him wrestle 170! Are you serious? Don’t be a sore loser.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Whizzer wrote:And wrestled the toughest team schedule in WV.

I’d beg to differ on that statement.
Moderator WV Mat

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm

abettnman wrote:YES, Mr. KDunbar this was my first experience, I will try my best to attend the WSAZ tournament I keep hearing about. Thanks

Sure it was! :lol:
Moderator WV Mat

Whizzer

Postby Whizzer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Gator wrote:

You are hurt, I understand! Your armor has a dent in it now, it’s still shiny and pretty strong. But it does have a dent... You can’t argue the fact! If you want to go look team by team, let me know what you find out.

Wrestingfan789

Postby Wrestingfan789 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm

I’m glad to see your a point homer for sure this is one of souths down years and you beat them by 5 congrats. You can clearly tell u guys don’t have many successful seasons because the way u guys act. I wouldn’t question which team is better or tougher schedule because u don’t even come close year in and year out. If your ever bored stop by the rod Oldham and check out all the banners hanging from the rafters...... enough said !!!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Whizzer wrote:
Gator wrote:

You are hurt, I understand! Your armor has a dent in it now, it’s still shiny and pretty strong. But it does have a dent... You can’t argue the fact! If you want to go look team by team, let me know what you find out.

I wear the armor of the Lord. YOU can’t dent it. When you wrestle in the Ironman and Powerade and the St Ed’s of the world, win 6 straight AAA titles and 23 team titles, we’ll talk.
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”