WSAZ Brackets

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
DubVWrestling

WSAZ Brackets

Postby DubVWrestling » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:52 pm

When might we see the brackets

KDunbar

Re: WSAZ Brackets

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:43 am

Seeds will be posted at least by 11 PM on Wednesday, January 22nd (per the info regarding the tourney on the link on the front page). The seeding meeting was Sunday PM. So brackets cannot be until they have completed and posted seeds, which may be at the same time. It will be posted on this site.

Underdog3382

Postby Underdog3382 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 am

Seeds are up now under the "What's New" link on the front page.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:20 pm

SOME HEADS ARE GOING TO ROLL ON Z DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Usually the brackets for WSAZ aren't posted (inside the arena) or completed until after weigh-ins. This allows for scratches and rearranging the seeds if someone seeded is out due to injury, not making weight, etc. At least this is what they have done in the past.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:20 pm

uknowme wrote:Usually the brackets for WSAZ aren't posted (inside the arena) or completed until after weigh-ins. This allows for scratches and rearranging the seeds if someone seeded is out due to injury, not making weight, etc. At least this is what they have done in the past.

This is exactly how its done in the past, i expect that trend to continue. Generating a bracket after scratches is easier and more fair than to do so beforehand and try and shift people around after scratches.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:59 pm

After a cursory glance at the seeds and competitors entered it would appear that Point Pleasant is an overwhelming favorite to win. They have 12 of their 14 wrestlers projected to place in the top 8, with 4 as 1st and 4 as 2nd. This would give them 131 placement points. Coming in second would be South with 9 wrestlers projected to finish in the top 8 giving them 98 points, followed by Christiansburg with 10 wrestlers projected to place and 82 points. With the quantity and the quality of Point's placers, their advancement points and bonus points should only increase their projected distance from the rest of the pack. In any case there should be a lot of good matches at all the weight classes.

Unless it is not in the best interest of the kids entered to answer, I was wondering why the JV wrestler for Point at 182 is seeded while their varsity wrestler is not? Obviously it could be for any of a variety of reasons (for example a JV wrestler beating out his teammate in wrestle offs heading into the tournament, or a younger wrestler with "less high school credentials" to get seeded but able to beat out his teammate with good enough credentials to get seeded). Riverside has the same situation at the 220 lb weight class. I'm thinking of seeing if tournament rules committee might make a special dispensation at the 106 lb weight class for South, as it likely has never happened before that the same team has had 4 wrestlers seeded in the same weight class. I'm going to petition to allow all 4 to score for the varsity team in order to possibly to catch up to Point ;) . Good luck to everyone.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am

KDunbar wrote:After a cursory glance at the seeds and competitors entered it would appear that Point Pleasant is an overwhelming favorite to win. They have 12 of their 14 wrestlers projected to place in the top 8, with 4 as 1st and 4 as 2nd. This would give them 131 placement points. Coming in second would be South with 9 wrestlers projected to finish in the top 8 giving them 98 points, followed by Christiansburg with 10 wrestlers projected to place and 82 points. With the quantity and the quality of Point's placers, their advancement points and bonus points should only increase their projected distance from the rest of the pack. In any case there should be a lot of good matches at all the weight classes.

Unless it is not in the best interest of the kids entered to answer, I was wondering why the JV wrestler for Point at 182 is seeded while their varsity wrestler is not? Obviously it could be for any of a variety of reasons (for example a JV wrestler beating out his teammate in wrestle offs heading into the tournament, or a younger wrestler with "less high school credentials" to get seeded but able to beat out his teammate with good enough credentials to get seeded). Riverside has the same situation at the 220 lb weight class. I'm thinking of seeing if tournament rules committee might make a special dispensation at the 106 lb weight class for South, as it likely has never happened before that the same team has had 4 wrestlers seeded in the same weight class. I'm going to petition to allow all 4 to score for the varsity team in order to possibly to catch up to Point ;) . Good luck to everyone.

WSAZ seeds are based on criteria. The JV 182 defeated a wrestler with a stellar record, who in turn defeated other competitors, and thus allowed the JV to be seeded ahead of the varsity. I've had this happen on multiple occasions during my time as a coach at the WSAZ.

As far as 4 seeded in one weight, Point had 3 106 seeded last year. I believe they were 1, 5, and 6 in the seeds. They finished 1, 2, 3 at the end.
Tench

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm

looks like another good tournament like always. like dunbar said point has a good chance to put 8 in the finals with 12 placing. looking at seeds and possible match ups i could see south with 6 kids at a shot at the finals. 4 kids with a good chance to place while the other 4 could score some valuable points. team race should be fun to watch.

just wish you guys would use trackwrestling so i could follow along down here.

machoman929

Postby machoman929 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:28 pm

KDunbar - I'm wondering how Ramsey from Riverside didn't get seeded at all at 195 when Clay, Woodrow Wilson and Parkersburg South are seeded and he has beat all of them!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:57 pm

machoman929 wrote:KDunbar - I'm wondering how Ramsey from Riverside didn't get seeded at all at 195 when Clay, Woodrow Wilson and Parkersburg South are seeded and he has beat all of them!

I'm not the person to ask. Don't know anything about the seeding criteria and had nothing to do with the seeding. Did the coach/team turn in that information? Just a thought.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:58 pm

mscoach20 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:After a cursory glance at the seeds and competitors entered it would appear that Point Pleasant is an overwhelming favorite to win. They have 12 of their 14 wrestlers projected to place in the top 8, with 4 as 1st and 4 as 2nd. This would give them 131 placement points. Coming in second would be South with 9 wrestlers projected to finish in the top 8 giving them 98 points, followed by Christiansburg with 10 wrestlers projected to place and 82 points. With the quantity and the quality of Point's placers, their advancement points and bonus points should only increase their projected distance from the rest of the pack. In any case there should be a lot of good matches at all the weight classes.

WSAZ seeds are based on criteria. The JV 182 defeated a wrestler with a stellar record, who in turn defeated other competitors, and thus allowed the JV to be seeded ahead of the varsity. I've had this happen on multiple occasions during my time as a coach at the WSAZ.

As far as 4 seeded in one weight, Point had 3 106 seeded last year. I believe they were 1, 5, and 6 in the seeds. They finished 1, 2, 3 at the end.

I don't think South's 4 seeds will match that outstanding performance.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm

I think before we start making projections as to who places where, we better start digging below the seeds into the packs and identify the hammers that were not seeded. I see some rude awakenings coming early on.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Having the tournament a single elimination tournament the first round(64) makes for some interesting, hard fought first round K. O’s!
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Gator wrote:Having the tournament a single elimination tournament the first round(64) makes for some interesting, hard fought first round K. O’s!

Where applicable, I hope the seeded wrestlers receive byes in the round of 64 to give the unseeded wrestlers a better chance of winning and advancing.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm

machoman929 wrote:KDunbar - I'm wondering how Ramsey from Riverside didn't get seeded at all at 195 when Clay, Woodrow Wilson and Parkersburg South are seeded and he has beat all of them!
did Riverside coach go to meeting?

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 pm

csmith11 wrote:looks like another good tournament like always. like dunbar said point has a good chance to put 8 in the finals with 12 placing. looking at seeds and possible match ups i could see south with 6 kids at a shot at the finals. 4 kids with a good chance to place while the other 4 could score some valuable points. team race should be fun to watch.
just wish you guys would use trackwrestling so i could follow along down here.

Not sure on the program they use, but I know last year it was easy to follow along on the website. They had the link here on wvmat and you was able to see up to date scores, who was on deck and live time mat results.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

I remember some years ago when a returning state HS champion (I won’t name them) got caught in a head and arm - pinned in the 64 man and out.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 pm

mscoach64 wrote:

Pretty sure there was no meeting involving coaches. Wrestler info was to be submitted to those doing the seeding I think.

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Gator wrote:Having the tournament a single elimination tournament the first round(64) makes for some interesting, hard fought first round K. O’s!

Where applicable, I hope the seeded wrestlers receive byes in the round of 64 to give the unseeded wrestlers a better chance of winning and advancing.

Our teams coaches and parents were just saying the same thing. Everyone wants a competitive shot at making it to double elimination...

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 pm

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:

Pretty sure there was no meeting involving coaches. Wrestler info was to be submitted to those doing the seeding I think.

Looking at the seeds, this is not the only weight class where a lower seeded or unseeded wrestler beat a higher seed. That will happen sometime even with perfect information. But I am guessing, there was results that the seeding committee just weren’t privy to. But, unseeded wrestlers place all the time and low seeds still win championships! Look at NCAA results from the past. Looking forward to the competition this weekend!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Bearhugger wrote:I think before we start making projections as to who places where, we better start digging below the seeds into the packs and identify the hammers that were not seeded. I see some rude awakenings coming early on.

I agree and don't mistake my observations as someone making any predictions/projections. That's why they wrestle the matches and don't go ahead and award the medals to those seeded. The recent OVAC tournament should be a good example for the South team and I'm also sure Point, Christiansburg, Skyline, etc will all come ready to wrestle.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 pm

Panther_coach wrote:I remember some years ago when a returning state HS champion (I won’t name them) got caught in a head and arm - pinned in the 64 man and out.

I would recommend many coaches/wrestlers drilling a head and arm the couple of days and then take out some of these seeded wrestlers in the round of 64.

abettnman

Postby abettnman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:26 am

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:

Mr. Dunbar, there was a coaches seeding meeting this year, where all were allowed to attend and participate with input when it came the seeds.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:

As Abettnman said, there was a coaches meeting this year for seeds. First year they have done that. This is also the first year high school (to my knowledge) is doing single elimination in the first round. Looking at the entries for high school, doesn't look like any weight class will fill a 64 man bracket completely, and i would assume they would make the byes as even as possible across the board. I expect your top 4 will get byes almost guaranteed. After that, luck of the draw.

Just a Fan

Postby Just a Fan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Looking forward to a great tournament! Always a great atmosphere and good wrestling! Almost time!

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:51 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
KDunbar wrote:
mscoach64 wrote:did Riverside coach go to meeting?

As Abettnman said, there was a coaches meeting this year for seeds. First year they have done that. This is also the first year high school (to my knowledge) is doing single elimination in the first round. Looking at the entries for high school, doesn't look like any weight class will fill a 64 man bracket completely, and i would assume they would make the byes as even as possible across the board. I expect your top 4 will get byes almost guaranteed. After that, luck of the draw.

Perhaps in recent history, for years there was a seeding meeting (good luck with that many schools who haven't seen each other) then they made the move to the seeding committee. The High School elimination format has changed several times over the years, at one point in time the 32 man round was single elimination (06-07 for example). If I remember correctly they had a few years similar to a repechage in the first round where if the guy who eliminated you won, you advanced to consolations.

coach999

Postby coach999 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 am

What is the seeding criteria? I think the criteria is great to use in a big tournament like this.

Return to “High School Wrestling”