Countdown to Z-DAY!!!

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Countdown to Z-DAY!!!

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:36 am

5 days and counting!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhug

Re: Countdown to Z-DAY!!!

Postby Bearhug » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm

I understand you're wanting to make WSAZ's great again, but if you look at competition idk if I would put it as the toughest tournament in the state(let alone this weekend). The Brooke Classic this weekend has a lot of nationally ranked kids as well as tough teams like Seneca Valley (PA), Erie Prep(PA), Licking Valley(OH), Wheeling Park, Oak Glen, Fairmont Sr and Spring Mills. A lot of animals will be going at it in the Panhandle.

I'd also like to point out soon to be 4x state champ Peyton Hall is still looking for his 1st Brooke title.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Bearhug wrote:I understand you're wanting to make WSAZ's great again, but if you look at competition idk if I would put it as the toughest tournament in the state(let alone this weekend). The Brooke Classic this weekend has a lot of nationally ranked kids as well as tough teams like Seneca Valley (PA), Erie Prep(PA), Licking Valley(OH), Wheeling Park, Oak Glen, Fairmont Sr and Spring Mills. A lot of animals will be going at it in the Panhandle.

I'd also like to point out soon to be 4x state champ Peyton Hall is still looking for his 1st Brooke title.

It is a matter of perspective. Importing out of state schools to make any tournament tougher will work for all tournaments.

Parkersburg South just out wrestled Wheeling Park and Oak Glen at the OVACs. South will be at the WSAZ.

At a quick glance, the WSAZ has a WV 2x state champ seeded 7th. I can think of one wrestler that is a 2x WV state placer that has yet to place at the WSAZ. He is now a junior trying again.

Both tournaments are legit. The WSAZ is better preparation for the WV state tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:03 pm

Bearhug wrote:I understand you're wanting to make WSAZ's great again, but if you look at competition idk if I would put it as the toughest tournament in the state(let alone this weekend). The Brooke Classic this weekend has a lot of nationally ranked kids as well as tough teams like Seneca Valley (PA), Erie Prep(PA), Licking Valley(OH), Wheeling Park, Oak Glen, Fairmont Sr and Spring Mills. A lot of animals will be going at it in the Panhandle.

Also, anybody was/is free to start a "Countdown to Brooke Classic" thread. I was simply promoting one event and not trying to compare it to the Brooke Classic.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:15 am

Bearhug wrote:I'd also like to point out soon to be 4x state champ Peyton Hall is still looking for his 1st Brooke title.

Braxton Amos is still looking for his 1st WSAZ high school title

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Studcradle wrote:
Bearhug wrote:I'd also like to point out soon to be 4x state champ Peyton Hall is still looking for his 1st Brooke title.

You are correct! This is another indicator as to how tough the WSAZ is.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:05 pm

FOUR DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I guess I need to gas up my snow blower since it’s WSAZ weekend.LOL
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Panther_coach wrote:I guess I need to gas up my snow blower since it’s WSAZ weekend.LOL

I am hoping Global Warming kicks in this week.

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Panther_coach wrote:I guess I need to gas up my snow blower since it’s WSAZ weekend.LOL

I am hoping Global Warming kicks in this week.

RINO! :lol:
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:58 am

THREE DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 am

TWO DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:02 am

Someone broke down the nationally ranked (FLO, intermat, Track ranking) wrestlers attending Brooke. How many will attend WSAZ?

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am

figure4match wrote:Someone broke down the nationally ranked (FLO, intermat, Track ranking) wrestlers attending Brooke. How many will attend WSAZ?

I know St. Joe pulling out of the competition took a few off the list. I believe their 170 is #1 in the country. May be wrong, haven't looked lately.
Tench

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 pm

I am not trying to compare and contrast the WSAZ and the Brooke Classic whereas I am promoting both tournaments.

Generally speaking, just what defines "toughness" when evaluating a tournament?

This season, the WSAZ high school division is so large, they are doing single elimination in the round of 64. I personally do not like it. But for the wrestlers being put in that circumstance, that is pretty dang tough!!!

With a large population of wrestlers, one has more opponents to run through in order to place.

Regardless of which tournament has the most nationally ranked wrestlers, those ranked guys almost always win their class. But the other 10 to 64 wrestlers have to gut it out.

Using Frazier as an example, he is/was ranked third in the nation. Where does that put Chapman who only lost 1-0 to him??? Ranked 4th? 14th? Not ranked? If not ranked, why not?

Regarding the Brooke Classic, Peyton Hall has yet to win it. On the other hand, Braxton Amos will be going after his first WSAZ title.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:07 pm

mscoach20 wrote:
figure4match wrote:Someone broke down the nationally ranked (FLO, intermat, Track ranking) wrestlers attending Brooke. How many will attend WSAZ?

I know St. Joe pulling out of the competition took a few off the list. I believe their 170 is #1 in the country. May be wrong, haven't looked lately.

The word on the street is St Joe only has four wrestlers. Their 152 placed lower than WSAZ's Roberts and Brooke's Hall at Ironman.

They will be missed but the team would only be impacting 4/14 of the tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:38 am

Z DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsams

Postby jsams » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 am

Studcradle wrote:

I bet he finds it

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:15 am

jsams wrote:
Studcradle wrote:

I bet he finds it

1. How many seconds will it take him?

2. Can he do it under 2 minutes?

3. Under 1 minute?

4. Or will some of these football playing wrestlers find a way to tackle him, score on him and make history?????

BobbiWilliams

Postby BobbiWilliams » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Are wrestlers who lose in the first round eliminated? Or is it truly a double elimination tournament regardless of which round you wrestle?

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

The word on the street is St Joe only has four wrestlers. Their 152 placed lower than WSAZ's Roberts and Brooke's Hall at Ironman.

They will be missed but the team would only be impacting 4/14 of the tournament.

Their school site has them at 5 wrestlers. And looking at the 2019 PIAA results where they had 5 underclassmen place, finished runner up, and Ohl was a state placer the year before...I'd say that's a decent impact.
Tench

Return to “High School Wrestling”