I may ruffle a few feathers

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
figure4match

I may ruffle a few feathers

Postby figure4match » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 pm

The convention center where the OVAC was held looks like a nice arena (they have a jumbo tron). Any chance that a State Tournament could be hosted there? Huntington's arena just isn't that accommodating and it isn't the easiest to view the mats. If not Wheeling why not Morgantown? We all pay taxes to support that school. Why can't it be used for state competition? Travel isn't the easiest for the northern and eastern teams heading to Huntington and same can be said for the southern teams that would need to travel to Wheeling. But if it's broken up it wouldn't be so overwhelming for teams to partake the State Tournament. You may even have a few more teams take part in the WSAZ (this is not about changing the venue for WSAZ, keep it in Huntington).
Why can't the venue change from year to year. I'm sure the WVSSAC has the money and the connections to make this happen. Doesn't seem right that one part of the state always has the State Tournament and other areas can't use the attraction to be a facilitator and option for growth in the sport in their given draw area.

I do applaud the group that put together that State Dual at the GreenBrier. I hope this event continues and I'm glad that it's at a venue that our State holds with pride!!

mscoach23

Re: I may ruffle a few feathers

Postby mscoach23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Same could be said about the football state championship being held in wheeling. These things are determined and bid on years in advance. I think it would be very hard to get this changed anytime soon

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 pm

1. The State tournament is bid on every two years. From my understanding Huntington is only one that applies.
2. You have to have some one run the tournament. (tournament director) etc. Don't know for sure but the OVAC doesn't have anyone to run it. The OVAC is their baby.
3. There is no way you will close the coliseum three days. Remember it is also a classroom. Plus no one to run it.
4. Bill Archer takes the state tournament and runs with it. (people don't realize the mountain of people he has behind him.)
5. I personally would like to see it go back to wheeling. But you also have scheduling conflict with the Nailers still in town. If you have ever been to a OVAC they have it down to a science. No plug to Coach Archer he also has it down,
6. Another good place would be Charleston Civic center. Personally think that is idle location.

But the bottom line someone has to put in bid and have a mountain of people line up ready to help.

Chris Diserio

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Asking for a friend:

How much money does the State give to run the tournament?

Im my experiences most people want to get paid to do work.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:58 pm

The Kanawha County tournament died in Kanawha County. I would hate to see the state tournament crash and burn too. Kanawha County may have a leader that could take it on but I doubt they can assemble the army Bad Bill Archer has down in Little Detroit.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Huntington's hospitality room is too good to move the tournament. The coaches and refs might starve at some of the other venues.

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 pm

The main reason that the WesBanco arena can't be used for the State Wrestling Tournament is because there is a standing commitment for another event each year that conflicts with that date every year. We have tried to get this changed, but so far there is no chance in the near future! I agree it is a wonderful setting for a wrestling tournament!

Gator

Postby Gator » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:14 pm

They once rotated the state tournament between Huntington and Wheeling. Not sure why that stopped. I’m guessing that Bill Archer and his gang of helpers do a great job and have won some bidding wars.

Bill and Diane have put in countless hours to help promote this event for many years. They deserve tons of credit.

The OVAC tournament is ran really well also and the seats at Wesbanco Arena and the view is great. Would like to see a Jumbotron like they have in Wheeling in Huntington also.

Both are about the same distance to travel from Parkersburg. I can see the long drive from places like the eastern panhandle and Oak Glen to Huntington as being difficult, especially in February.
Moderator WV Mat

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

This is when the state championship proposal are up for renewal. Got this straight from the wvssac site:

Sport ---------------------Location------------------Next Open Date
Baseball -----------------Charleston ------------------2021
Basketball ---------------Charleston ------------------2020
Cheerleading ------------ Huntington --------------- 2023
Cross Country ----------- Ona ------------------- 2020
Football ----------------- Wheeling ---------------- 2020
Golf -------------------- Wheeling --------------- 2020
Soccer ------------------- Beckley -------------- 2020
Softball --------------- South Charleston ----------- 2023
Tennis ----------------- Charleston.---------------- 2020
Track ----------------- Charleston --------------- 2020
Volleyball ------------- Charleston --------------- 2022
Wrestling ------------- Huntington -------------- 2021

Wrestling still has at least another in Huntington. Personally, I think that people in Huntington do a phenomenal job running the tournament. Many people don't understand all the man hours before the tournament and all the little things that must go on behind the scenes for the tournament to occur. However, the folks from Huntington will not be around forever. Hopefully when the time comes to change, it is still ran as smoothly as it does now.

firedawg64

Postby firedawg64 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Why Not is Morgantown Im sure WVU would love to host a State Tournament and even take football over there. What better place to play State Title then in Milan Puskar Stadium. Just food for thought.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:51 am

Huntington Big Sandy Arena just has terrible viewing compared to Wesbanco Arena. Personally would love states be moved to Wheeling, Charleston or Morgantown. I’m sure coach Archer does a lot of work with the tourney in Huntington, but sure be nice to view the matches better.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:51 am

uknowme wrote:This is when the state championship proposal are up for renewal. Got this straight from the wvssac site:

Sport ---------------------Location------------------Next Open Date
Baseball -----------------Charleston ------------------2021
Basketball ---------------Charleston ------------------2020
Cheerleading ------------ Huntington --------------- 2023
Cross Country ----------- Ona ------------------- 2020
Football ----------------- Wheeling ---------------- 2020
Golf -------------------- Wheeling --------------- 2020
Soccer ------------------- Beckley -------------- 2020
Softball --------------- South Charleston ----------- 2023
Tennis ----------------- Charleston.---------------- 2020
Track ----------------- Charleston --------------- 2020
Volleyball ------------- Charleston --------------- 2022
Wrestling ------------- Huntington -------------- 2021

Wrestling still has at least another in Huntington. Personally, I think that people in Huntington do a phenomenal job running the tournament. Many people don't understand all the man hours before the tournament and all the little things that must go on behind the scenes for the tournament to occur. However, the folks from Huntington will not be around forever. Hopefully when the time comes to change, it is still ran as smoothly as it does now.

Its not so much the organization of the tournament as it is the poor line of sight for the fans.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 am

vortexfan wrote:Huntington Big Sandy Arena just has terrible viewing compared to Wesbanco Arena. Personally would love states be moved to Wheeling, Charleston or Morgantown. I’m sure coach Archer does a lot of work with the tourney in Huntington, but sure be nice to view the matches better.

Its no longer called the Big Sandy. Its now Mountain Health Arena. Mt Health took over leadership of both Hospitals in Huntington last year. They bought the naming rights to the arena for 1.75 million.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 am

I have nothing negative to say about how the tournament is ran and the current organizer of the State event (I do believe it could be shorten to a two day tournament). Thank you Mr Archer for stepping up and handling a good organized event! There is always room for improvement and the improvements needs to start with the event site and demographic area which it's held.
I believe is very short sided by the WVSSAC to not encourage growth and providing a better product year after year (very reactive vs. proactive). The Huntington Arena is very dated. Other than going to see a family member wrestle and outside of a few wrestling fans it doesn't have a lot of flash to draw fans. The three day pass is expensive, the concession food isn't that good and Huntington isn't that easy for 60% of the state population to travel.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:09 pm

Coach Turnbull tried to get the WVU Coliseum once for us for the Jr. State and the biggest obstacle was basketball. He told me we could get the indoor practice facility but we never pursued it. If we couldn't get it for a two day tournament, I doubt a three day tournament would fly either.
But the new AD at WVU is from Parkersburg so who knows now. Thanks - Brent

SkyWalker22

Postby SkyWalker22 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:27 am

It would take some work but it would be awesome to have it held in Morgantown, there is also the Waterfront where they have fights and other events

Monarch1996

Postby Monarch1996 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm

It would be interesting to have the State in Wheeling, but I suspect that Chris is right...they may not have anybody to run it. I have worked a table at OVAC for 10 years now and it is down to a science. The guy in charge of the table crews--Rich McCardle--does really well in getting the right groups at the right place (normally one of the folks at the champ matches is an official, typically Larry Deaton). Apart from that, I don't know who manages the whole thing, but everything interacts very well.

For example, the head table does really well with the sheets, the runners know exactly where to go, there is a particular path they follow, we have excellent communication with the officials, and so on. Heck, my table is my family and a dude from Park (Flava Flav!). We know what each is good at and we have no issues...but it's because the overall tournament is meticulously planned.

I agree that Webanco is the better arena, but the overall logistics could likely be tricky.

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm

First, the Archer's have done a fabulous job of fostering this tournament. They're the best, hands down! Coach Archer can't help the fact that Huntington's arena might not be as modern as Wheeling's. He does the best with what he has to work with. Second, nobody else is bidding on it. If they do, it's going to take more than a shiny arena to win the bid. You'd better have support staff galore and be prepared to make it more of an "event" than it already is. The WVSSAC wants these kids to have memorable experiences at their state championship events. Third, taking a day away from the event might seem logical to you, but it takes away a day of gate revenue. Not gonna happen! Staying for a few nights instead of one makes it more of a destination than a stop on the schedule. My two cents!

Return to “High School Wrestling”