Tournaments Hosted IN Huntington

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Tournaments Hosted IN Huntington

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 am

INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM BILL ARCHER:

Memo from Coach Bill Archer, Long Time State Wrestling Tournament Director (48 years), former Head Coach Huntington High School, WV HS State Champ 127lbs 1966 Huntington High, Inducted WV Chapter NWHOF in 2007:
The City, County, Convention Bureau and the Archer Family donated over $21,000 to the State Tournament. The State Tournament profit to the the WVSSAC was $35,000. The rules clinic (not much) comes out of this too.
Wrestling was one of the few tournament events that did not have revenue go down last year.
Wrestling has had tremendous growth. If you can believe this, our first tournament we used the first mat side scoreboard, (if you can believe it - 2 sided), 4 mats, and we moved the partition that slides out at about 65 per cent of arena.
We are adjusting the seats this year to back for early rounds and moving them back out for Saturday matches, to pick back up the 600 seats for the finals.
Huntington High purchased the mats and clocks. Huntington High receives $1000 rent for mats and clocks. When we rented them before we had the clocks it was $ 6400.
These are the facts. I believe the WVSSAC has made this of public record.
This close to the WSAZ tournament with a record breaking 1400 wrestlers I am beginning to think am too old for this.
Bill Archer
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

forthekids

Re: Tournaments Hosted IN Huntington

Postby forthekids » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Bill,
You are like a fine wine the just keeps getting better. I can tell your hard work is greatly appreciated. Been to Ohio and Pa Championships and you could teach them a few things.

THANK YOU for all you do. Everybody thinks it is easy until you walk in your shoes.

Chris Diserio

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Bill and Dianne: You two have always made the Wsaz and the State Tourney your priority!!!! You two care more about WV wrestling than anyone I know, always do it the right way and always have the best interest of the kids involved. I am proud to call both of you good friends and can't conceive of those two tournaments being run by anyone else!! As always they will be the best ran and you'll still look to improve something!! Thanks for all you do for our great sport!!! GK

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Oh please

stumpy

Postby stumpy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:54 pm

Bill Archer is a great guy and good friend of mine. He is a true wrestling Ambassador for our state, I know he has retired from his job but hope its a long time before he retires from this sport. believe me we would surely miss him.

mscoach26

Postby mscoach26 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Truesouthfan please list below all your contributions to wrestling in WV ...

We’ll wait

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:11 am

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Oh please

All you wheeling homers need to get over the fact that the state tournament is not going back there. The Archers and the army they have assembled do a better job than anyone else in the state can even think of doing and the state tournament will be staying in Huntington. Sorry about your luck, pal.
You should be appreciative of what they do as far as running the state tournament and what they do for WV wrestling!

"Watch out for the ring worm!"
-Queen Elizabeth II

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:14 am

ringworm14 wrote:
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:Oh please

All you wheeling homers need to get over the fact that the state tournament is not going back there. The Archers and the army they have assembled do a better job than anyone else in the state can even think of doing and the state tournament will be staying in Huntington. Sorry about your luck, pal.
You should be appreciative of what they do as far as running the state tournament and what they do for WV wrestling!

-Queen Elizabeth II

And Huntington's hospitality room is great. :D

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:53 pm

INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM RINGWORM:

-Queen Elizabeth II
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”