Where's South

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
GetThePoint

Where's South

Postby GetThePoint » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:15 pm

South is looking like they forgot to show up done here in Huntington. Too bad all those coaches can't score some POINTs for them. :lol:

racraig13

Re: Where's South

Postby racraig13 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:05 am

:lol:

racraig13

Postby racraig13 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:07 am

:lol: now that’s funny!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

South was one of many teams that made the 2020 WSAZ great!!!

Continuous improvement prevailed at the WSAZ. A better tournament this weekend than what we had last year. And...……..there was nothing wrong with last year's event.

I would like to see double elimination for all. Maybe have the "Round of 64" losers wrestle three 30 second rounds and call it the "Last Chance" round.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

TrueSouthFanInTampa

Postby TrueSouthFanInTampa » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:06 pm

Congratulations to PP. great team win. As for GetThePoint......Act like you’ve been there before 8-)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 pm

TrueSouthFanInTampa wrote:Congratulations to PP. great team win. As for GetThePoint......Act like you’ve been there before 8-)

LOL!! "GetthePoint" just joined WVMAT on Saturday. That means they are a regular member feeling the need to go under a mask.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 pm

A few WSAZ thoughts ...
I used to like the “Follow the Leader” bracket we used for some years at WSAZ - if the guy you lost to in your first match won his next one, you were still in. This helped the poor guy who drew a top seed his first match. No one likes to travel several hours, draw a stud and be one and done. But ... the tournament has grown so large that it had to go to double elimination across the board.
In some weights, the WSAZ is tougher than the state tournament and this was once again proven this weekend. The out of state kids, larger brackets and combining of classes make this the case.
Finally, the WSAZ has roughly 1400 entries this year and was done in two days. There is no reason why every single high school wrestler in WV should not be allowed to participate in the state tournament! Varsity and JV combined would not come close to all the participants this weekend due to the middle schools and out of state teams plus the JV kids that were at the WSAZ. Plus, the state tournament is three days instead of two. I say forget the regionals which are unfair anyway ( look at region four), enter everyone, establish a seeding criteria and go at it. Just.02 from an old guy who remembers when the WSAZ was the HUPCO and had about 25-30 schools total.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Panther_coach wrote:A few WSAZ thoughts ...
I used to like the “Follow the Leader” bracket we used for some years at WSAZ - if the guy you lost to in your first match won his next one, you were still in. This helped the poor guy who drew a top seed his first match. No one likes to travel several hours, draw a stud and be one and done. But ... the tournament has grown so large that it had to go to double elimination across the board.
In some weights, the WSAZ is tougher than the state tournament and this was once again proven this weekend. The out of state kids, larger brackets and combining of classes make this the case.
Finally, the WSAZ has roughly 1400 entries this year and was done in two days. There is no reason why every single high school wrestler in WV should not be allowed to participate in the state tournament! Varsity and JV combined would not come close to all the participants this weekend due to the middle schools and out of state teams plus the JV kids that were at the WSAZ. Plus, the state tournament is three days instead of two. I say forget the regionals which are unfair anyway ( look at region four), enter everyone, establish a seeding criteria and go at it. Just.02 from an old guy who remembers when the WSAZ was the HUPCO and had about 25-30 schools total.

Where were you yesterday Jimbo? I looked for you. This tourney was in your backyard. You missed some good wrestling if you missed this one.

I congratulated coach Bonecutter yesterday on his teams win. Some of you posters could take a little lesson from your coach and show some class!
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:47 pm

Gator wrote:

Where were you yesterday Jimbo? I looked for you. This tourney was in your backyard. You missed some good wrestling if you missed this one.

I congratulated coach Bonecutter yesterday on his teams win. Some of you posters could take a little lesson from your coach and show some class!

I already did my research here. 99% sure he isn’t one of us. If he’s a Point guy, never once heard his name in our town. And it’s a small town with a wrestling community where you get to know people.
Tench

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Family responsibilities I had to take care of. Sorry I missed you. Maybe I’ll see you at the State Tournament. I am not surprised by Point’s success ... I could see this coming back when I was coaching. Coaches Darst, Cullen, etc. laid the foundation with their excellent youth program throughout the county with each elementary having a team, plus travel teams from the county. Those little kids are now in high school and the coaches who came along later kept it going and growing. Their community support is tremendous as well.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Load up the REGIONS with every wrestler. This will maintain the integrity of the sport in the eyes of the old timers and relics of the 70s and 80s. It will give all of this misguided youth some to stick around for during the season.

Now I have not done my research to determine status, but I believe Stiffler of Woodrow Wilson was JV at the WSAZ. He placed THIRD!!! I also think he has placed three years in a row now. I will research later whereas I have a long drive home.

TOO many goofus kids do not come out as freshmen because they "do not have a spot". Sometimes you have to give a little to gain a lot. A lot of JV at the WSAZ. I think maybe ONE placed. Use this sample as to what would happen at the regions. Put a lot in. Maybe 1-2 qualify for states. What is the problem?????

PS: I launched my response to your comment panthercoach. This is not directed AT you. You make sense to me. Besides, I am less than a year away from a Shoney's Senior Citizen discount.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:00 pm

I can think of several instances off hand where both the varsity and JV kid had a real chance of placing at State. I am sure you can too. I also know the #5 wrestler in some regions may very well be a state placer. I say let them all wrestle. More wrestlers, more revenue for the city and the SAAC. More kids stay interested... grow the sport!

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 am

mscoach20 wrote:
Gator wrote:

I already did my research here. 99% sure he isn’t one of us. If he’s a Point guy, never once heard his name in our town. And it’s a small town with a wrestling community where you get to know people.

You and I both know that many on here hide behind monikers and if you are going by an email address, they make those up too.

There are some that get on here and say they are South fans and stir also. Only takes a few rotten tomatoes to ruin the whole batch!
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am

Gator wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:
Gator wrote:

You and I both know that many on here hide behind monikers and if you are going by an email address, they make those up too.

There are some that get on here and say they are South fans and stir also. Only takes a few rotten tomatoes to ruin the whole batch!

Perhaps it is YOU using a burner account.............. :lol:
Tench

GetThePoint

Postby GetThePoint » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:12 am

Bearhugger wrote:
TrueSouthFanInTampa wrote:Congratulations to PP. great team win. As for GetThePoint......Act like you’ve been there before 8-)

LOL!! "GetthePoint" just joined WVMAT on Saturday. That means they are a regular member feeling the need to go under a mask.

Derek Raike number 1 wrestler in the state. Along with Bonecutter being hands down the best coach. Now try to see under the mask. :lol:

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:46 pm

mscoach20 wrote:
Gator wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

I have never used any other moniker, nor would I ever.

Can you say the same? :shock:
Moderator WV Mat

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:54 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Studcradle on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:07 am

Cant we all just get along ?

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:07 am

Gator wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:
Gator wrote:

Sure can't! You are looking at the infamous Dson. But I think I've always had my name at the bottom...maybe not. I wonder if I can fire up the ol' Dson and get it rolling again!
Tench

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Clubbie reunion coming!

GetThePoint

Postby GetThePoint » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Gator wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:
Gator wrote:

Probably have never wrestled either. Do you think you could out coach bonecutter?

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:54 am

GetThePoint wrote:
Gator wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

Probably have never wrestled either. Do you think you could out coach bonecutter?

Are you really implying that he should out Coach Bonecutter?

JennyHannan

Postby JennyHannan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote: A lot of JV at the WSAZ. I think maybe ONE placed.

South JV wrestler Oscar Lemus placed 8th at 195. He beat South's varsity wrestler Noah Buckalew 2-1 in the blood round.

Return to “High School Wrestling”