Most points scored at Z’s

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
DongerWrestle

Most points scored at Z’s

Postby DongerWrestle » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 am

Did Point set a record..?

vortexfan

Re: Most points scored at Z’s

Postby vortexfan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:38 am

They sure did this year!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:13 am

One problem comparing some years to others is that in the early years there wasn't even a 32 man bracket filled, so with one less round of wrestling this limits advancement points and bonus points that can be scored by a team. I did not check all years but this years point total was not a record. In 2004 the winning team scored 2.5 points more at 322.5. Nonetheless, congratulations to Point Pleasant on an impressive team victory.

Hilljack

Postby Hilljack » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:40 am

Just a guess but I’ll bet it wasn’t a AA team that scored those points.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 am

KDunbar wrote:One problem comparing some years to others is that in the early years there wasn't even a 32 man bracket filled, so with one less round of wrestling this limits advancement points and bonus points that can be scored by a team. I did not check all years but this years point total was not a record. In 2004 the winning team scored 2.5 points more at 322.5. Nonetheless, congratulations to Point Pleasant on an impressive team victory.

You pretty much nailed it there. The tournament is so much bigger and competition much better than previous years. It’s hard to compare scores.

I do know this is the outright highest small school score. Maybe largest margin of victory I found...have to double check that. But it was substantial.

EDIT: Margin of victory AA to AAA not overall. I was vague with that comment.
Tench

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:38 pm

I’m not sure how you could score much more than Point did this tournament unless you won all your matches. They have a great team with lots of great wrestlers.
Moderator WV Mat

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:24 am

mscoach20 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:One problem comparing some years to others is that in the early years there wasn't even a 32 man bracket filled, so with one less round of wrestling this limits advancement points and bonus points that can be scored by a team. I did not check all years but this years point total was not a record. In 2004 the winning team scored 2.5 points more at 322.5. Nonetheless, congratulations to Point Pleasant on an impressive team victory.

You pretty much nailed it there. The tournament is so much bigger and competition much better than previous years. It’s hard to compare scores.

I do know this is the outright highest small school score. Maybe largest margin of victory I found...have to double check that. But it was substantial.

Just continuing to take a walk down memory lane and looked back at a few WSAZ tournaments. Not trying to contradict anything said above or really make any point. Just noted that the 64.5 point margin of victory this year was considerably less than the more than 100 point margin in 2004 by a AAA team over the rest of the field. In possibly more of an apples to apples comparison, in 2017 Independence beat their AAA opponent by more than a 90 point spread. Different tournaments, different teams, different wrestlers, so other than historical statistics the numbers don't mean too much. For Point Pleasant the real message is 13 of 14 wrestlers placed, with 3 champions and 4 runners-up. With only 4 of the 14 wrestlers graduating. And guess who won the middle school tournament?!!! I know it takes money, but the real sin would be for this team not to be going to both the Ironman and Powerade next year. Take the money spent going to Top Gun and any other spot you can and make WV proud by showing these kids off on the bigger stage they deserve. I know some have gone to the Super 32 at times in the preseason. I for one would make a donation to your wrestling booster club if I was assured these kids would get that chance. Don't take this as being critical. It is meant as congratulations and as encouragement.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:09 am

KDunbar wrote:
mscoach20 wrote:

Just continuing to take a walk down memory lane and looked back at a few WSAZ tournaments. Not trying to contradict anything said above or really make any point. Just noted that the 64.5 point margin of victory this year was considerably less than the more than 100 point margin in 2004 by a AAA team over the rest of the field. In possibly more of an apples to apples comparison, in 2017 Independence beat their AAA opponent by more than a 90 point spread. Different tournaments, different teams, different wrestlers, so other than historical statistics the numbers don't mean too much. For Point Pleasant the real message is 13 of 14 wrestlers placed, with 3 champions and 4 runners-up. With only 4 of the 14 wrestlers graduating. And guess who won the middle school tournament?!!! I know it takes money, but the real sin would be for this team not to be going to both the Ironman and Powerade next year. Take the money spent going to Top Gun and any other spot you can and make WV proud by showing these kids off on the bigger stage they deserve. I know some have gone to the Super 32 at times in the preseason. I for one would make a donation to your wrestling booster club if I was assured these kids would get that chance. Don't take this as being critical. It is meant as congratulations and as encouragement.

I can stand corrected lol I either misread the Indy result or didn't even look at 2017!
Tench

Return to “High School Wrestling”