Braxton Amos at States

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aaacoach63

Braxton Amos at States

Postby aaacoach63 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Will we see Braxton Amos move up to heavy weight for states so he might actually have to wrestle a tough match

Gator

Re: Braxton Amos at States

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

aaacoach63 wrote:Will we see Braxton Amos move up to heavy weight for states so he might actually have to wrestle a tough match

I’m guessing you don’t follow high school wrestling closely “Coach”. Braxton has already beat the top ranked kids in the country at 220 and pinned the top ranked AAA 285 in the first period. Who might be his tough match at the state tournament at 285?

I’ll wait.....

In nearly 3 years of high school wrestling, Braxton has 3 Ironman titles, 3 Powerade titles and 3 OVAC titles.

How do you beat a kid you can’t score on? Zero offensive points allowed in high school thus far! And, why do you want him to wrestle up and give up as much as 70 lbs to a 285?
Moderator WV Mat

Slingblade33

Postby Slingblade33 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:38 pm

OK, I’ll bite. Since we are speaking in hypothetical scenarios. There will be no close match at the WV high school state tournament this year for Braxton. The closest matches would be if he cut 70 pounds between now and then and wrestled some of the guys in the state around that weight class while he is dehydrated and starved. Make no mistake, Braxton could probably AA this year at 197 at the NCAA’s.

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Slingblade33 wrote:OK, I’ll bite. Since we are speaking in hypothetical scenarios. There will be no close match at the WV high school state tournament this year for Braxton. The closest matches would be if he cut 70 pounds between now and then and wrestled some of the guys in the state around that weight class while he is dehydrated and starved. Make no mistake, Braxton could probably AA this year at 197 at the NCAA’s.

I appreciate hyperbole as much as anyone, and he is certainly the best 220 in the country, but I wouldn't discredit the other wrestlers in the weight class who are working hard to surpass him.
The phrase "any given Sunday" applies well here.
Dan Gable could tell you all about it.

Truesouthfaninhunt

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:17 am

Justdeserts wrote:
Slingblade33 wrote:OK, I’ll bite. Since we are speaking in hypothetical scenarios. There will be no close match at the WV high school state tournament this year for Braxton. The closest matches would be if he cut 70 pounds between now and then and wrestled some of the guys in the state around that weight class while he is dehydrated and starved. Make no mistake, Braxton could probably AA this year at 197 at the NCAA’s.

I appreciate hyperbole as much as anyone, and he is certainly the best 220 in the country, but I wouldn't discredit the other wrestlers in the weight class who are working hard to surpass him.

With all due respect sir, the term “ any given Sunday “ does not “apply well” in this circumstance.
The talent differential n WV between this kid and his opponents is simply too great.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 pm

You guys crack me up trying to get a rise out of the South folk. Stop trying to take shots at a kid. He is one of the most respectful kids around and is very level-headed, even with all of the hardware he's earned over the years. Tim and Anika have raised an awesome young man. Stop all of the "will he wrestle ____ to get a match". He's done that time and time again.

Good luck Braxton. Keep doing you buddy.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm

masonbailey wrote:You guys crack me up trying to get a rise out of the South folk. Stop trying to take shots at a kid. He is one of the most respectful kids around and is very level-headed, even with all of the hardware he's earned over the years. Tim and Anika have raised an awesome young man. Stop all of the "will he wrestle ____ to get a match". He's done that time and time again.

Good luck Braxton. Keep doing you buddy.

You’re wise beyond your years champ! Rick and Erin Bailey did a great job too! Proud of you buddy!
Moderator WV Mat

russling

Postby russling » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Agree 100 percent with Mason and I'm up in the Northern Panhandle. Enjoy the years that Braxton wrestled in WV. You may never see another at his level in HS again. He is the best that I ever saw unless someone can point out a wrestler who had a better HS career in WV wrestling history.

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:32 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

With all due respect sir, the term “ any given Sunday “ does not “apply well” in this circumstance.
The talent differential n WV between this kid and his opponents is simply too great.

Well, just send him the medal in the mail, and be done with it then. Why bother wrestling?
I said he is the best 220 in the COUNTRY, and I was absolutely not taking a "shot" at him. He is a great wrestler, and I am sure, despite having never met him, a fine young man.
I take great joy in watching Braxton Amos, Noah Adams, Peyton Hall, and any other wrestler from West Virginia excel on a national level.

masonbailey

Postby masonbailey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 pm

Justdeserts wrote:
Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

Well, just send him the medal in the mail, and be done with it then. Why bother wrestling?
I said he is the best 220 in the COUNTRY, and I was absolutely not taking a "shot" at him. He is a great wrestler, and I am sure, despite having never met him, a fine young man.
I take great joy in watching Braxton Amos, Noah Adams, Peyton Hall, and any other wrestler from West Virginia excel on a national level.

Wasn’t directed towards you. I agree with you on the “any given Sunday” reference. When I wrestled at Beast of the East, Ed Ruth was spladled before I could see him in the semis (glad that happened, btw).

Heath

Postby Heath » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 am

So how is the descent to wrestle 197 in college going? Or he just taking one for the team here or is this a hint that maybe 197 just isn't happening?

Heath

Postby Heath » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:07 am

russling wrote:Agree 100 percent with Mason and I'm up in the Northern Panhandle. Enjoy the years that Braxton wrestled in WV. You may never see another at his level in HS again. He is the best that I ever saw unless someone can point out a wrestler who had a better HS career in WV wrestling history.

Well we could of enjoyed him for four more years wrestling in state but that's neither here nor there.

He probably could all American this year at NCAA's at 197 if he can make the weight. - 197 will be much deeper next year and in the future. Can't wait to see it. Wish him the best.

mattman

Postby mattman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:07 pm

Heath wrote:
russling wrote:Agree 100 percent with Mason and I'm up in the Northern Panhandle. Enjoy the years that Braxton wrestled in WV. You may never see another at his level in HS again. He is the best that I ever saw unless someone can point out a wrestler who had a better HS career in WV wrestling history.

Well we could of enjoyed him for four more years wrestling in state but that's neither here nor there.

He probably could all American this year at NCAA's at 197 if he can make the weight. - 197 will be much deeper next year and in the future. Can't wait to see it. Wish him the best.

I’m amazed at how you can say 197 will be tougher next season. 197 is the class that is unpredictable. Imo Noah will win but I’m loyal. It’s a 3-4 horse show and the deepest class in division 1 right now imo.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:01 am

197 is deeper than 133?

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:56 pm

mscoach57 wrote:197 is deeper than 133?

I’m not sure deeper is the right word choice but definitely unpredictable. I promise you that I can pick the top 4 at 133 and probably not the top 4 at 197. Pickling the top 8 at 197 would be nearly impossible. You would have to look at who beat who but lost to this guy that lost to The Who guy. 197 is unpredictable man

Return to “High School Wrestling”