Individual and Team Rankings on "What's New" State Seating

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
figure4match

Individual and Team Rankings on "What's New" State Seating

Postby figure4match » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am

Is this a coaches poll? Over the last month I've seen a few head to head matches in various weigh classes and have seen some beats with kids ranked over them on this poll. Will the 2020 State Tournament use these rankings to separate the 1 and 2 seats for it's brackets? Doesn't seem right if these rankings are coming from a couple of individuals or a select group from one region or coaches that are out of touch with results from their region. Are we sure that all coaches have access to vote for these polls.
There are wrestlers moving from weight class to class given the format of dual or tournament which could be a bracket buster if not ranked and then you have wrestlers that may have been out for part of the season due to grades or injury that could significantly change the outcomes of a State Tournament. If we do not have checks and balances and these rankings are used for seating a State Tournament wouldn't there be question for bias intent for a team or region? Let get pro active instead reacting!!

mscoach57

Re: Individual and Team Rankings on "What's New" State Seating

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 am

Polls are available in the coaches section of the forum. I don’t see the issue as a lack of availability for coaches to participate, when participation numbers are low I consider it more of an apathy issue. On the opposite end of the spectrum I am not sure how wvmat insures that only one coach from each team participates.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 am

It's "Seeding". And no, those polls do not determine seeding for the state tournament. Placement in Regionals and then the pill draw determine the bracket. The polls mean nothing, don't worry about them.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

JustSomeone wrote:It's "Seeding". And no, those polls do not determine seeding for the state tournament. Placement in Regionals and then the pill draw determine the bracket. The polls mean nothing, don't worry about them.

Thanks for correcting my grammar. I believe there was discussion on this board about the possibility of seeding the state tournament and keeping the presumed 1 and 2 seed on separate sides of the bracket. I know that the head official of the WVSSAC ask for suggestions during the rules interpretation meeting at the beginning of the season. Also, don't we all want accurate rankings? Why does everyone follow them?

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 am

figure4match wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:It's "Seeding". And no, those polls do not determine seeding for the state tournament. Placement in Regionals and then the pill draw determine the bracket. The polls mean nothing, don't worry about them.

Thanks for correcting my grammar. I believe there was discussion on this board about the possibility of seeding the state tournament and keeping the presumed 1 and 2 seed on separate sides of the bracket. I know that the head official of the WVSSAC ask for suggestions during the rules interpretation meeting at the beginning of the season. Also, don't we all want accurate rankings? Why does everyone follow them?

Rankings don't matter, and nobody is seeding the state tournament (I hope, what a preposterous idea). Rankings are for the entertainment of fans.

Campion

Postby Campion » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 am

The athletes like the rankings, too, along with fans.

WIfan

Postby WIfan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Doddridge County wrestler Riley Curran is missing from the Top 10 ranking for the 120 lb AA/A Class. He has pinned the #5, has beaten #4, has beaten #9 and has split with Beisell. Curran is a Freshman.

pin2win

Postby pin2win » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

AAA Ranking/195

#4 Boggess from Ripley beat #3 Gregg at John Marshall Invitational 12-7-2019

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm

#7 AAA Zach Mullins- Greenbrier East
-significant matches-
Win Pinned #6 AAA Osbourne- Woodrow
Win Dec 7-4 over #3 AA/A Powell- Wirt
Win Dec 4-2 over #6 AA/A Bearden- North Marion
Loss Dec 5-3 to #2 AAA Hardy- Washington

Placed 4th in state last year.

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Justdeserts wrote:
figure4match wrote:

Rankings don't matter, and nobody is seeding the state tournament (I hope, what a preposterous idea). Rankings are for the entertainment of fans.

They do matter though.... While no one is seeding the state tournament, If i remember correctly last year there was a memo from Mr. Archer that stated that they would separate the #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers in the pill for the 2020 state tournament to help prevent the "state championship in the semi finals" scenario that peopled have griped about over the years.

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 pm

mscoach134 wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:
figure4match wrote:Thanks for correcting my grammar. I believe there was discussion on this board about the possibility of seeding the state tournament and keeping the presumed 1 and 2 seed on separate sides of the bracket. I know that the head official of the WVSSAC ask for suggestions during the rules interpretation meeting at the beginning of the season. Also, don't we all want accurate rankings? Why does everyone follow them?

They do matter though.... While no one is seeding the state tournament, If i remember correctly last year there was a memo from Mr. Archer that stated that they would separate the #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers in the pill for the 2020 state tournament to help prevent the "state championship in the semi finals" scenario that peopled have griped about over the years.

YES!! Can somebody go back a year ago and "intercept that memo"?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach134 wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

Could not find it on the home page but was able to find it after digging through the forum for a bit.

"Memo from Coach Bill Archer
Long-time West Virginia State High School Wrestling Tournament director
State Champ, Huntington High School, 1966, 127 lbs
October 1, 2019
Configuration of Bracket Assignments at the State Wrestling Tournament, and other issues
-------------------------------
Here is the way it would be at the current time.
I wrote an article for the West Virginia Wrestler about 25 years ago about seeding the state
tournament. This has been an issue since 1971.
It was voted on to try the alternate pill at state coaches meeting. It was then presented to the
WVSSAC and Coaches Committee in April.
It did not require a principal’s vote because it is a procedure not a rule. No one on the coaches
committee had let anyone know, I guess, because they didn’t want to happen what happened.
Reason for the change:
I get at least two or three coaches every year that get in a two vs one in semis - and they tell me
that we need to do something. The person who started the team score in 1977 (not 1976) may
have picked the wrong year, but was exactly right in content. You certainly don’t want the
random draw giving one team a better chance to score than another.
The Olympics and World Championships used to be a blind draw and the person who would
have been 3rd seed might draw one and two in the first 2 matches and be out. They use a kind
of seeding system now.
The NCAA seeds of course, and regionals are also seeded. It would be completely nuts to not
seed Winner’s Choice, OVAC, WSAZ or any other tournament.
We will use the seeding system that we use in the regionals for the ranking of wrestlers for 1
and 2. It is called a ranking not a seeding because it is not for a position in the bracket -- that is
done by the pill. This is a system used in some cases in other states.
To the best of my knowledge this is how it will be done at this time.
The coaches committee will vote the ranking for the 1 and 2 wrestler. Any coach from any
school if they want to make a case for their wrestler. He can call the area rep on committee to
state their case. You guys are right -- if we could use WV-Mat rankings it would be the best -- so
that after regional adjustments everyone would know what’s happening. It probably won’t be
much different. Some of you would be very surprised to find out how few coaches vote.
The WVSSAC will call and let me know the Pill numbers. I will call WV-Mat so that both pills can
be posted. We will have a group phone call and decide what brackets need the alternate pill.
I do not know if we can get it completed and ready for distribution the next morning because it
depends on where all the coaches are and how many changes are necessary. I believe that it
won’t be as big a problem as many of you think.
Three other issues.
Please don’t use the term bye when referring to the state tournament. The state tournament
rule made way back is that the state is continuation of the regional Tournaments. The unfilled
bracket is considered a forfeit or default and is scored as 4 pts - not as a bye would be scored.
As far as a girl’s state tournament and an individual tournament: We simply need to have more
wrestlers to make it happen. Any of you that have attended the WSAZ knows, we can get
enough mats down and we can do whatever is necessary to make it happen.
I have given this explanation to Jeremy and Wayne. Many of you should try and attend a rules
clinic in your area. You don’t have to be a coach or official to attend.
Get on Win Magazine and support it by getting a subscription. Mike Chapman knows more
about wrestling than anyone in America. If you really want to get into it, try a few of Mike’s
books about Wrestling. Most of his books I have read. Several of you in to weight lifting will like
a few of his stories about bench pressing over 400 pounds while weighing a little over 220.
Thanks for your interest and let’s see how it works out.
Bill Archer"

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mscoach134 wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

OR just look under the "What's New" section of the site right now!
From today:
"HS State tournament will not be seeded (separation of #1 and #2 ranked wretlers). Brackets will be done as they have been (Pill System)."

and also
Wednesday November 27, 2019
From the Department of Reliable Sources: The WVSSAC has decided to wait another year before doing the splitting of one (A) and two (AA) at the State Tournament.
Er, rather "WVSSAC is going to wait one more year before separating one and two wrestlers in each region or to say it another way, the second pill is out for this year"

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Missed that somehow. Lol. My apologies

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 am

So again, there is confusion because there isn't clarity from the WVSSAC on these proposed changes. Happening or not it was put out there for people to see and there needs to be commutation from the WVSSAC on it's intend. It's better to be proactive than reactive... It shouldn't take a post on site or forum to ask for clarity.

Return to “High School Wrestling”