Conference Tournaments

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Conference Tournaments

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Many or all of these conference tournaments need to be given a review.

Are they still worth the time and effort? Some? Probably so. Others? Probably not.

One idea brought up by somebody was to merge a few of them into one tournament. You would gain better competition, more matches and could still award conference team champions.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

hollywood

Re: Conference Tournaments

Postby hollywood » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Why? These conference tournaments are just tournaments at the end of the year for teams, big or small, to get matches/weigh ins. Teams don’t have to go through a meat grinder for every tournament like you think they should. Look at college wrestling, do you think just because the PAC-12 is a weaker wrestling conference that they wanna mix with the Big-12 just so wrestlers have tougher competition?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:44 pm

hollywood wrote:Why? These conference tournaments are just tournaments at the end of the year for teams, big or small, to get matches/weigh ins. Teams don’t have to go through a meat grinder for every tournament like you think they should. Look at college wrestling, do you think just because the PAC-12 is a weaker wrestling conference that they wanna mix with the Big-12 just so wrestlers have tougher competition?

I suggested a review. Everybody can look at the scores for all conference tournaments and form their own opinions.

uknowme

Postby uknowme » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:14 pm

I agree with Bearhugger. I think that some of the conference tournaments would indeed benefit by combining somehow. Looking at the scores, some conference tournaments only have 2-3 wrestlers in the weight class. Do coaches really want to waste weigh-ins when your athletes are not getting anything out of it. I understand there is history and tradition with the conference tournaments, but is there really??? I mean when some teams have opted to send JV wrestlers or not even a full team, knowing that they do have one, are some conference tournaments the way they are really worth it?

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm

I know a lot of wrestlers did not compete in their conference tournaments due the flu and/or injuries This weekend. After all, next weekend is when it’s going to count most. Why risk an existing injury, becoming more sick if you have the flu, or infecting everyone else? How about we leave the conferences alone and focus on fixing a couple of the regions in AA and AAA that absolutely make no sense in their current structure?

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:19 pm

There is rich history in many conference tournaments, especially the LKC. In my opinion this tournament does not need a review, yes, we had several scratches this year but this flu that has spread throughout the state was the reason why. I stand behind our conference tournament and would gladly give my weigh-ins to honor it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 pm

INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM BEARHUGGER: Are they still worth the time and effort? Some? Probably so.

Coach_Beech

Postby Coach_Beech » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 pm

I might be wrong, but back when I coached Middle school, the Conference tourneys did not count as one of your weigh-ins. So you basically got a free tournament slot without it counting against you. One extra weekend of some sort of competition.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 pm

matcoach90 wrote:I know a lot of wrestlers did not compete in their conference tournaments due the flu and/or injuries This weekend. After all, next weekend is when it’s going to count most. Why risk an existing injury, becoming more sick if you have the flu, or infecting everyone else? How about we leave the conferences alone and focus on fixing a couple of the regions in AA and AAA that absolutely make no sense in their current structure?

1. The viewpoint on "some" conferences has been mentioned last season but probably not on here.

2. It appeared that the flu was worse this season than ever before.

3. As for regions, I say fix everything.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:31 pm

I love the conference tournaments, just not the weekend before regionals. Local and area tournaments are great.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Conference tournaments are a great opportunity to see teams that you might not see otherwise. This weekend we (Braxton) saw St. Marys, Wahama, Tyler Consolidated and Wirt for the first time this season. From a competitive standpoint, seeing a wrestler at least once before regionals or states is important.

saltydog326

Postby saltydog326 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:29 pm

They can be important for regional seeding purposes. Others have stated that it is the only time they will see some of the teams involved. In a sense it is also important for the only seeding input available at the state tourney through regional placement.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Replace the regionals with conference tournaments to qualify for states, like the NCAAs.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

brentsams wrote:Replace the regionals with conference tournaments to qualify for states, like the NCAAs.

Noble idea but don't think it will work. You have AAA and AA teams in same conference.

Chris Diserio

Return to “High School Wrestling”