AA-A regional alignment

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhug

AA-A regional alignment

Postby Bearhug » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 pm

The WVSSAC needs to figure this out. The Northern teams (particularly in Region 1) are at a ginormus disadvantage compared to teams like Point PL and Independence when it comes to taking a full team to the state tournament year in and year out. Region 1 is LOADED every year and no wonder, when you have basically every historically tough school in the north (oak glen, all three Marion's, Berkeley Springs, etc) in one region, it makes it virtually impossible for one of those tough schools to send all their wrestlers to Huntington. There are multiple 5th place finishers I watched today at region 1 who would most definitely make it to states if they were in any of the other regions. Something needs done because it ain't right!

Bearhugger

Re: AA-A regional alignment

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:34 pm

Bearhug wrote:The WVSSAC needs to figure this out. The Northern teams (particularly in Region 1) are at a ginormus disadvantage compared to teams like Point PL and Independence when it comes to taking a full team to the state tournament year in and year out. Region 1 is LOADED every year and no wonder, when you have basically every historically tough school in the north (oak glen, all three Marion's, Berkeley Springs, etc) in one region, it makes it virtually impossible for one of those tough schools to send all their wrestlers to Huntington. There are multiple 5th place finishers I watched today at region 1 who would most definitely make it to states if they were in any of the other regions. Something needs done because it ain't right!

We have been discussing this since the last regional alignment. It has even been mentioned of pig tailing in ranked 5th placers. All we can do is raise the issue and keep raising the issue until people take notice. There have been changes made in recent years that were discussed on the forum for a few years before the change.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
Bearhug wrote:The WVSSAC needs to figure this out. The Northern teams (particularly in Region 1) are at a ginormus disadvantage compared to teams like Point PL and Independence when it comes to taking a full team to the state tournament year in and year out. Region 1 is LOADED every year and no wonder, when you have basically every historically tough school in the north (oak glen, all three Marion's, Berkeley Springs, etc) in one region, it makes it virtually impossible for one of those tough schools to send all their wrestlers to Huntington. There are multiple 5th place finishers I watched today at region 1 who would most definitely make it to states if they were in any of the other regions. Something needs done because it ain't right!

We have been discussing this since the last regional alignment. It has even been mentioned of pig tailing in ranked 5th placers. All we can do is raise the issue and keep raising the issue until people take notice. There have been changes made in recent years that were discussed on the forum for a few years before the change.

I know, the alignment is supposed to be changed next year, and what they're proposing for next year is basically keeping the region the same as is. It makes zero sense

mscoach26

Postby mscoach26 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Try AAA region IV and get back to me.

BeePositive

Postby BeePositive » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Not quite sure what the 7 teams within Region IV AAA, all geographically near each other, has to do with the 18 teams within Region I A/AA that are spread throughout North Central WV, Northern Panhandle, Eastern Panhandle and the Mountain Region. Bearhugger and Bearhug are correct in the fact that change is needed and the current proposal isn't a fix.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Well said... though someone in another thread rolled their eyes at the suggestion that region one was a bear compared to other regions. After viewing some results of other regions, it’s ridiculous.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:19 pm

To add to the commentary, Herbert Hoover won region 3 for the first time in 20 years. Qualified 13/14 weights.

Indy had more region 3 champs. Should be interesting to see who out places who at the state tournament between these two.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:52 pm

How do we accurately determine toughness of a region?

Lets review some facts:

1. Oak Glen won AA/A region 1 over Fairmont Senior. Oak Glen also beat Fairmont Senior in the Cameron Tournament.

2. Oak Glen walked in with 14 wrestlers, only 5 were ranked in the top 10 on the February 5 Coaches' individual rankings. They qualified 8 wrestlers.

3. Fairmont Senior walked in with 13 wrestlers but 8 were ranked in the top 10. They qualified 8 wrestlers. One of their ranked wrestlers did not qualify.

4. Region 1 has 47 ranked wrestlers or 33.81%. Region 2 has 36 or 25.90%. Region 3 has 25 or 17.99%. Region 4 has 31 or 22.30%

5. Region 1 is without a doubt the toughest region for the average wrestler to qualify for the state tournament. Seven weight classes contained FOUR ranked wrestlers. One of which was 106 that had 5 ranked wrestlers.

Now lets look at all of this from a different perspective. First, I know the difference between dual competition and tournament competition. However, if Team A beats Team B 59 to 9, then Team B is NOT going to beat Team A in a tournament.

Oak Glen walked into region 1 with their full team. They won the tournament. Oak Glen took on Point Pleasant in a dual and lost 59 to 9. Thus, I do not see Oak Glen challenging for a state team title with all 14 of their wrestlers. They will be contending for second with their 8 STQs and second is what everybody is fighting for.

The regions are set up based on geography. Region 1's geography looks a little whacked out on the map. Swapping region 1 and region 2 teams could correct this and also spread some of the traditional strength around more.

The problem is too many ranked or top wrestlers in a given weight class within a given region. The only solution is to live with what we have or continue the recent creative trend and implement a "Last Chance Qualifier" tournament or LCQ.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am

Bearhugger wrote:How do we accurately determine toughness of a region?

Lets review some facts:

1. Oak Glen won AA/A region 1 over Fairmont Senior. Oak Glen also beat Fairmont Senior in the Cameron Tournament.

2. Oak Glen walked in with 14 wrestlers, only 5 were ranked in the top 10 on the February 5 Coaches' individual rankings. They qualified 8 wrestlers.

3. Fairmont Senior walked in with 13 wrestlers but 8 were ranked in the top 10. They qualified 8 wrestlers. One of their ranked wrestlers did not qualify.

4. Region 1 has 47 ranked wrestlers or 33.81%. Region 2 has 36 or 25.90%. Region 3 has 25 or 17.99%. Region 4 has 31 or 22.30%

5. Region 1 is without a doubt the toughest region for the average wrestler to qualify for the state tournament. Seven weight classes contained FOUR ranked wrestlers. One of which was 106 that had 5 ranked wrestlers.

Now lets look at all of this from a different perspective. First, I know the difference between dual competition and tournament competition. However, if Team A beats Team B 59 to 9, then Team B is NOT going to beat Team A in a tournament.

Oak Glen walked into region 1 with their full team. They won the tournament. Oak Glen took on Point Pleasant in a dual and lost 59 to 9. Thus, I do not see Oak Glen challenging for a state team title with all 14 of their wrestlers. They will be contending for second with their 8 STQs and second is what everybody is fighting for.

The regions are set up based on geography. Region 1's geography looks a little whacked out on the map. Swapping region 1 and region 2 teams could correct this and also spread some of the traditional strength around more.

The problem is too many ranked or top wrestlers in a given weight class within a given region. The only solution is to live with what we have or continue the recent creative trend and implement a "Last Chance Qualifier" tournament or LCQ.

Well said... and the one ranked FSHS wrestler who didn't place was sick and could not even compete.

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 am

While Im not disagreeing with what you are saying... Some teams are indeed "better off" in their region due to geography in both AAA and AA/A. But what do you recommend the WVSSAC do based on the current set up? Geographically speaking the regions are fairly accurate in my opinion. A few could shift here or there based on location but i think it is pretty close to being right. You cant just lump teams in other regions for "fairness". Interested to hear what you would do if given the opportunity to make changes.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am

matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:How do we accurately determine toughness of a region?

Lets review some facts:

Well said... and the one ranked FSHS wrestler who didn't place was sick and could not even compete.

When I referred to "placing", I should have said "qualifying". FSHS had one ranked wrestler place 5th.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm

mscoach134 wrote:

While Im not disagreeing with what you are saying... Some teams are indeed "better off" in their region due to geography in both AAA and AA/A. But what do you recommend the WVSSAC do based on the current set up? Geographically speaking the regions are fairly accurate in my opinion. A few could shift here or there based on location but i think it is pretty close to being right. You cant just lump teams in other regions for "fairness". Interested to hear what you would do if given the opportunity to make changes.

I am not taking one side or another in this. Also, I notice that "Bearhug" has not offered a solution, so I'm not sure if they are even following the conversation on the thread they started. However, I would offer a thought and some reassurance on the "fairness" from a team standpoint that they were lamenting about. Historically Region 1 AAA for years was markedly "over-stacked" with top teams and often their 5th place finisher could have likely been on the podium at the state tournament. This "inequality" shifted somewhat to Region IV AAA a few years back (thus the reference above to Region IV AAA in one post by "mscoach 26"). Despite this, it has never prevented any of the teams from those regions from being successful at the state tournament. So although this may be somewhat unfortunate for some individual wrestlers from attending the state tournament, the lack of those wrestlers is unlikely to hinder a teams ability to bring home a state title. As "Bearhugger" alluded to above, although Point Pleasant did manage to send all 14 wrestler to the state tournament I have seen them wrestle this year and you do not want to move them up to Region 1 AA/A in an attempt to pare down their numbers.

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Heard a proposed revision to the A-AA regions has been sent to some schools.

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:50 pm

Might as well just throw out the separate classification system and just have one class with four regions and eight districts (two per region.) Top four in each district qualify for regionals. Top four in each region qualifies for States. One State Champion in each weight class plain and simple. No excuses or bullcrap at the end of the day.

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Not going to happen to many people worked to get it separated!

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm

So, what are the new (proposed) regional alignments that you mention?

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Our school has not received a proposal.

Whitlock

Postby Whitlock » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:56 pm

They could do it like the NCAA tournament and have at large bids that would give the kids in the tougher regions a shot to still make it to states based on other criteria

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:32 am

aacoach32 wrote:Might as well just throw out the separate classification system and just have one class with four regions and eight districts (two per region.) Top four in each district qualify for regionals. Top four in each region qualifies for States. One State Champion in each weight class plain and simple. No excuses or bullcrap at the end of the day.

Please understand that I am not poking fun of your proposal, just the location of it. I'm wondering if you read the original theme of this thread. It was a complaint that someone felt it was too difficult to send wrestlers to the State tournament in Region 1 AA/A, at least compared to some of the other regions. You do realize the irony of suggesting we lump AAA with AA/A as a solution to what is being discussed on this thread. (Of course, your response could have been intended as sarcasm, which I have personally found that it is sometimes tough to convey sarcasm via social media unless it is clearly spelled out).

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:06 pm

I think the northern part is best divided up how it used to be.
Region 1 : Oak Glen, Marion County, Ritchie, St Mary's, Weir, Magnolia, Cameron
Region 2 : Keyser, Petersburg, Berkeley Springs, Harrison County,Braxton,

How the region's were set up from 2013-2016. It just made more sense geographically and was still solid on both sides of the state.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:51 am

Bearhug wrote:I think the northern part is best divided up how it used to be.

How the region's were set up from 2013-2016. It just made more sense geographically and was still solid on both sides of the state.

Okay, I'll play along. So Region 1 will have 7 teams and Region 2 will have 5 teams, for a total of 12 teams. That would leave Region 3 with 27 teams and Region 4 with 27 teams. And of course this alignment would be the same for all sports, not just wrestling. Certainly would make it a lot more fair for Region 1 & 2. I'm sure the rest of the state would readily embrace this. Problem solved. However, Point Pleasant still wins the State Title in a run away.

Bearhug

Postby Bearhug » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:19 am

KDunbar wrote:

Okay, I'll play along. So Region 1 will have 7 teams and Region 2 will have 5 teams, for a total of 12 teams. That would leave Region 3 with 27 teams and Region 4 with 27 teams. And of course this alignment would be the same for all sports, not just wrestling. Certainly would make it a lot more fair for Region 1 & 2. I'm sure the rest of the state would readily embrace this. Problem solved. However, Point Pleasant still wins the State Title in a run away.

Obviously I didnt add the remaining teams that were in region 1 &2 during 2013-2016

All together there was 13 teams in Region 1 (FSHS, Oak Glen, TC, Cameron, East Fairmont, North Marion, Magnolia, Ritchie, St Mary's, Clay Battelle, Doddridge, Weir, and Madonna) Wheeling Central, Paden City and Hundred were listed in that region as well, but failed to have a team during that time. Obviously that's not the case now which equals 16 teams all together

Region 2 had 15 teams (Petersburg, Berkeley Springs, Keyser, Braxton, Grafton, Lincoln, Frankfort, Liberty, Bridgeport, South Harrison, Moorefield, East Hardy, RCB, Phillip Barbour and Notre Dame)With Bridegport moving to AAA that would leave 14 teams in Region 2. You could add Roane to Region 2 to make it even more "leveled" for the rest of the state.

Also your math is wrong for the schools I stated before , "Marion County" equals 3 high schools (North, East, and West) and "Harrison County" equals 5 schools (Lincoln, Liberty, RCB, South Harrison, ND)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Bearhug wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Obviously I didnt add the remaining teams that were in region 1 &2 during 2013-2016

All together there was 13 teams in Region 1 (FSHS, Oak Glen, TC, Cameron, East Fairmont, North Marion, Magnolia, Ritchie, St Mary's, Clay Battelle, Doddridge, Weir, and Madonna) Wheeling Central, Paden City and Hundred were listed in that region as well, but failed to have a team during that time. Obviously that's not the case now which equals 16 teams all together

Region 2 had 15 teams (Petersburg, Berkeley Springs, Keyser, Braxton, Grafton, Lincoln, Frankfort, Liberty, Bridgeport, South Harrison, Moorefield, East Hardy, RCB, Phillip Barbour and Notre Dame)With Bridegport moving to AAA that would leave 14 teams in Region 2. You could add Roane to Region 2 to make it even more "leveled" for the rest of the state.

Also your math is wrong for the schools I stated before , "Marion County" equals 3 high schools (North, East, and West) and "Harrison County" equals 5 schools (Lincoln, Liberty, RCB, South Harrison, ND)

Maybe it is time to consolidate North, East and West into a new AAA school called Marion Consolidated?? Consolidate Harrison County as well in Harrison Consolidated. This strengthens AAA and takes some heat out of AA/A region 1.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:11 am

Bearhug wrote:
KDunbar wrote:

Above noted. I stand corrected on the school count, as I didn't really pay close enough attention to the "schools" listed. I know it isn't exactly your point in terms of regional comparisons, but one has to always look at the actual wrestlers participating, especially at the AA/A level.. Although you list 16 teams in Region 1, weight class 113 lb only had 7 wrestlers and weight class 195 lb only had 8. The most was 13 wrestlers in weight classes 126 and 152. There was an "average" of 11 "complete" teams participating, so not really a 16 team region. Didn't actually look at the other AA/A regions, but guessing they were possibly about the same. This is why the concept of dividing AA/A in half makes little sense. There just aren't enough wrestlers to make a viable and meaningful competition.
However, I know your observation was more along the lines of the geographic locations of the Region 1 teams and the "perceived" disadvantage they might have compared to other regions. Again, the history of the Region 1 and Region 4 AAA teams and their success at the State tournament level despite the even more marked disparity in overall depth at the regional level for them for many, many years should alleviate your concerns regarding other schools possibly being able to take a number of "lesser quality" wrestlers to the state tournament. These wrestlers usually don't score a significant number of points to change the overall outcome. That only leaves the geographic question and whether it is worth it to change for that reason alone.
I'm not sure what all goes through the minds of the WVSSAC in their process in dividing up the regions, but the wrestling community has to remember that all the other sports are also affected, possibly in some adverse way from their perspective, with any changes in the regional alignments. For example, in cross country my daughter's team from Wheeling Park is always in Region 1 with Morgantown and University, historically the top 2 teams for quite some years. This year the top 3 teams were all from Region 1. Despite her team being the maybe 5th or 6th best team in the state, only the top 3 teams from each region get to go to the state tournament. Therefore her team was likely better than 50% of the teams getting to attend the state tournament. Also, despite my daughter being about the 40th best runner in the state and about 100 girls getting to attend the state tournament, her region is so packed, with about 25 to 30 of the top 40 girls. You have to be in the top 10 individually in your region to get an individual at large bid. Because of this regional alignment, which is quite good geographically, many girls and other teams throughout the state much, much slower got to have the experience. As others have postulated, it may be that all things in life just won't be "corrected" for "absolute" fairness. My daughter was okay with that. She just loves running. The ones that just love wrestling will stick with the sport and those that aren't wrestlers won't. And that's okay.

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:23 pm

I was but I wasn't being sarcastic. Considering I had four other wrestlers on my team who did not qualify for States out of Region 1 AA, but they crushed wrestlers in other regions in both AA and AAA who made it to states, there's no doubt the road to Huntington is much tougher for Region 1 AA. Changes are being discussed and proposed, but in the end nothing will really change. We might as well just scrap the who multi-classification idea and just go to one class.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:48 pm

aacoach32 wrote:I was but I wasn't being sarcastic. Considering I had four other wrestlers on my team who did not qualify for States out of Region 1 AA, but they crushed wrestlers in other regions in both AA and AAA who made it to states, there's no doubt the road to Huntington is much tougher for Region 1 AA. Changes are being discussed and proposed, but in the end nothing will really change. We might as well just scrap the who multi-classification idea and just go to one class.

I'm not sure I understand how just having districts in the very same geographic area and then also adding in AAA wrestlers helps out those 4 wrestlers (and not actually hurt them) getting to the state tournament. There has always been a sort of geographic disparity in terms of the "quantity of quality" wrestlers. I guess it is fortunate that this has not at least adversely affected the top 3 or 4 wrestlers in the state from getting to the tournament and it has not had a significant affect on the overall team title. This was the concern of the poster who initiated this thread.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:48 pm

KDunbar wrote:
aacoach32 wrote:I was but I wasn't being sarcastic. Considering I had four other wrestlers on my team who did not qualify for States out of Region 1 AA, but they crushed wrestlers in other regions in both AA and AAA who made it to states, there's no doubt the road to Huntington is much tougher for Region 1 AA. Changes are being discussed and proposed, but in the end nothing will really change. We might as well just scrap the who multi-classification idea and just go to one class.

I'm not sure I understand how just having districts in the very same geographic area and then also adding in AAA wrestlers helps out those 4 wrestlers (and not actually hurt them) getting to the state tournament. There has always been a sort of geographic disparity in terms of the "quantity of quality" wrestlers. I guess it is fortunate that this has not at least adversely affected the top 3 or 4 wrestlers in the state from getting to the tournament and it has not had a significant affect on the overall team title. This was the concern of the poster who initiated this thread.

I dont think the original poster said anything about team titles. I think his point was about individual wrestlers and weight classes. There were several ranked wrestlers that finished 5th or even 6th in region a/aa. You have to admit that region 1 is way tougher than 2, 3, and 4.

WVwrestling365

Postby WVwrestling365 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Suck it up and wrestle!

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:08 pm

The reason (I’m not from their region so I’m not being biased) that Point does so good is because the have a team that wants to win at wrestling. All their kids look strong. Our team has one kid that participates out of season, the rest do whatever. A regional realignment to compensate for will to win is silly. The reason a team has a jv that could finish 2nd at states isn’t misalignment, it’s participation. We once had a jv team that would have finished 2nd at AA behind our varsity team but now we have a 5 man jv team because participation changed. That is the problem! Don’t try to figure out how to stop a team from winning multiple titles because of Misalignment. Figure out why a once great team now has only 3 wrestle offs for varsity and the rest get slotted in. ..

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm

Diamond wrote:The reason (I’m not from their region so I’m not being biased) that Point does so good is because the have a team that wants to win at wrestling. All their kids look strong. Our team has one kid that participates out of season, the rest do whatever. A regional realignment to compensate for will to win is silly. The reason a team has a jv that could finish 2nd at states isn’t misalignment, it’s participation. We once had a jv team that would have finished 2nd at AA behind our varsity team but now we have a 5 man jv team because participation changed. That is the problem! Don’t try to figure out how to stop a team from winning multiple titles because of Misalignment. Figure out why a once great team now has only 3 wrestle offs for varsity and the rest get slotted in. ..

I am not sure that your word salad has anything to do with this discussion.

Return to “High School Wrestling”