Baddest Babe Award

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Baddest Babe Award

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:27 pm

This year we will be giving an award to the girl wrestler that wins the most matches at the WV State Tournament.

1. We will be donating $25 to the Baddest Babe's team for next season.

2. It is simple, the girl who wins the most matches at the state tournament, wins!

3. If there is a tie, there will be TWO pay outs!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KSRefBP

Re: Baddest Babe Award

Postby KSRefBP » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Not sure that any female will enjoy being referred to as babe. Pretty offensive, really.
Brian Pauley
Retired Kanawha Southern Wrestling Official
KS1845

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:22 pm

KSRefBP wrote:Not sure that any female will enjoy being referred to as babe. Pretty offensive, really.

Ok. We can rename the award. What are your ideas?

TBNRmma

Postby TBNRmma » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 pm

I think you should not name it and pic the girl who wins the most matches and name it after her so it will be history

WrestlingMom4453

Postby WrestlingMom4453 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Female Warrior Award
Top Notch Female Award
Queen of the Mat

aacoach141

Postby aacoach141 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Yeah, I got to agree with Pauley on this one. I don't like calling a high school girl "babe".
No sense to get weird and creepy with it.

Let's go with the "Erica Dye Award". Name it after the only female to make it to the state finals.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm

I can almost see it now. Intercepted from offended grandma. “My grandchild identifies as a female and was not allowed to participate in the Girls State Wrestling Tournament. Now this Bearhugger character is giving away his own hard earned cash to promote and encourage female wrestling while doing absolutely nothing to pay for my very confused grandchild. Someone please make him give away his money in a manner that is pleasing to me”.
We live in an easily offended world. We live in a world where everyone is demanding a handout from someone else and when that someone else does grace us with generosity of time or money we are offended because we didn’t like the name.

KSRefBP

Postby KSRefBP » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Any of you two have a daughter? While the gesture is nice, calling a female wrestler a babe is a sign of ignorance. These ladies work hard for the recognition and are blazing a trail to bring the fastest growing high school sport to the forefront in WV high school athletics.

Joke, make fun, laugh...but ask any of those girls who wrestled in the girls tournament last week if they do this to be recognized as a babe.

It's not about upsetting grandma. It's about giving these ladies some freakin' respect. They have more than earned it.

And last I checked, none of these ladies have asked for a hand out.
Brian Pauley
Retired Kanawha Southern Wrestling Official
KS1845

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 pm

This subject will be addressed on Wednesday when I have more time. Update: the donation is at $50 and possibly growing.

No hand out. Its a donation. I have heard and read all season long where teams do not have funding to go to tournaments or overnight trips.

I have read and seen where teams leave at 3:30AM in the morning to travel because they do not have funding for motels.

I have also learned that the wrestling world is just a subset of the real world. Good people and bad people. Know it alls, crooked people, arrogant people, old timers, etc, etc.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 am

KSRefBP wrote:Any of you two have a daughter? While the gesture is nice, calling a female wrestler a babe is a sign of ignorance. These ladies work hard for the recognition and are blazing a trail to bring the fastest growing high school sport to the forefront in WV high school athletics.

Joke, make fun, laugh...but ask any of those girls who wrestled in the girls tournament last week if they do this to be recognized as a babe.

It's not about upsetting grandma. It's about giving these ladies some freakin' respect. They have more than earned it.

Well said

Sj69

Postby Sj69 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 am

Anyone that goes out there and puts there foot on the line deserves respect for their effort.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:10 am

I applaud the efforts to recognize female wrestler and their accomplishments. I am not going to get into the name suggested for the award/reward but I would suggest that the rules about giving money to athletes at the high school level be consulted. If it hasn't already been done. I faintly remember that it may not be proper.

Maybe find some way to recognize them in print or on Social Media.

Its just my opinion and I could be wrong.

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:29 am

§127-2-11. Amateur. 11.1. A student who represents a school in an interscholastic sport shall be an amateur in that sport. An amateur athlete is one who engages in athletic competition solely for the physical, mental, social, and pleasure benefits derived therefrom. An athlete forfeits amateur status in a sport by: 11.1.a. competing for money or other monetary compensation (allowable travel, meals, and lodging expenses may be accepted); 11.1.b. receiving any award or prize of monetary value which has not been approved by the WVSSAC; 11.1.c. capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value (scholarships to institutions of higher learning are specifically exempted);

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am

KSRefBP wrote:Any of you two have a daughter? While the gesture is nice, calling a female wrestler a babe is a sign of ignorance. These ladies work hard for the recognition and are blazing a trail to bring the fastest growing high school sport to the forefront in WV high school athletics.

No joke was made! I didn't make fun of anybody!! Matter of fact, I took OFF work, drove from Fort Mill, South Carolina to Parkersburg, spent $24 in tolls to drive on a crap road, and spent over $100 in gas. I was at the Girls' State Wrestling Tournament. Were you?

The only negative I heard at the girls' state tournament was a particular referee complaining about how long it was lasting. Within my own mind, I thought why would a ref complain while working at a historical event?? On the other hand, I also didn't know what had been discussed before hand in terms of expected time, pay, etc.

At the girls' state meet, I was taking pictures, posting them on Facebook and many people obviously enjoyed them. Matter of fact, I had people contacting me wanting their girl's pictures shared. Some of these same people wanting their girl wrestler's picture shared are also the same people complaining about the word "Babe".

As for your "hand out" comment, this is a sign of your negative attitude. It was clearly stated to be a donation! I went through the state pairings. I came across four girls that qualified. They are from Musselman, St. Albans, Greenbrier East and Hoover. Although I have not looked name by name, I have seen people associated with some of these schools that like the idea. The people who seem to dislike the idea are affiliated with schools that do NOT have a girl wrestler.

I saw during the season where St. Albans was getting their wrestlers up and meeting at 3:30am to drive to a wrestling meet. The word on the street was that there wasn't enough funds for motel rooms. Probably false. However, I figure all wrestlers would rather sleep in a motel room before competing as opposed to leaving town at 3:30am. Hoover has been without a school since 2016. Musselman has an army of girls and they travel the greatest distance to attend the girls' state meet.

Maybe this was a bad idea? Maybe I should ditch this? The girl wrestlers have an equal chance to raise donations for their team through placing fourth in their region and then out placing the field. They can also pin their way through the state tournament faster than anybody. Plenty of opportunities.

I wish these four ladies great success. Rather than working on finishing single legs or getting their cardio up...…………..I hope they mentally prepare for when their opponent tells them "Good luck Babe" before the match.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:31 am

wiseone wrote:I applaud the efforts to recognize female wrestler and their accomplishments. I am not going to get into the name suggested for the award/reward but I would suggest that the rules about giving money to athletes at the high school level be consulted. If it hasn't already been done. I faintly remember that it may not be proper.

Maybe find some way to recognize them in print or on Social Media.

Its just my opinion and I could be wrong.

he is ALIVE

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am

dontlikethelights wrote:§127-2-11. Amateur. 11.1. A student who represents a school in an interscholastic sport shall be an amateur in that sport. An amateur athlete is one who engages in athletic competition solely for the physical, mental, social, and pleasure benefits derived therefrom. An athlete forfeits amateur status in a sport by: 11.1.a. competing for money or other monetary compensation (allowable travel, meals, and lodging expenses may be accepted); 11.1.b. receiving any award or prize of monetary value which has not been approved by the WVSSAC; 11.1.c. capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value (scholarships to institutions of higher learning are specifically exempted);

Very True!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:45 am

dontlikethelights wrote:§127-2-11. Amateur. 11.1. A student who represents a school in an interscholastic sport shall be an amateur in that sport. An amateur athlete is one who engages in athletic competition solely for the physical, mental, social, and pleasure benefits derived therefrom. An athlete forfeits amateur status in a sport by: 11.1.a. competing for money or other monetary compensation (allowable travel, meals, and lodging expenses may be accepted); 11.1.b. receiving any award or prize of monetary value which has not been approved by the WVSSAC; 11.1.c. capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value (scholarships to institutions of higher learning are specifically exempted);

Thank you for your input. I am collecting donations. The donations will be given to a "wrestling program". The criteria for which wrestling program receives the donations has been proactively communicated.

The donations can be used toward whatever the Coach, principal, etc deem necessary (allowable travel, meals, and lodging). The specific wrestler gets nothing other than extra recognition for pinning everybody the fastest, placing fourth in their region and then placing in the state higher than any other regional fourth placer, or any other donation based superlative that gets created.

All of this is unofficial! It has nothing to do with the WVSSAC, nothing to do with the Official State Wrestling Tournament or anything else outside of a wrestling fan generating donations on their own time and then paying the donations to a school (not a person). If any given school turns down the donations, we will move on to the next school and/or the donations will be refunded.

This is all for fun and generated excitement. Some fans will probably track who is on course to win what. Some fans will sit in their miserable minded self and hate.

I will conclude by saying that there is a visible correlation to negative attitude and poor performance on the mat.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:58 am

I applaud Bearhugger for stepping up. Just make sure it is legal. Not sure not associated with WVSSAC matters. Hope it all works out!.

I am sure this board will blow up in next two weeks on what could should of happened.

in my eyes most important thing is life lessons being learned to help make productive members of society, while learning why it is the greatest and oldest sport on earth.

Chris Diserio

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:02 pm

If the money was paid directly to the athlete I think you’re right wiseone but I think that’s why the guy was offering his own money as a donation to the school which according to the rule you posted looks like it would be perfectly legal.

If I offended anyone by using the term “guy” I apologize.

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:21 pm

Thank You Studcradle.

If a group or one person does something for a group of people then I am all for it. I was not pointing out any wrongdoing by Bearhugger or criticizing his efforts. I see by his reply above that he clarified how the money could/should be donated. Excellent! Just trying to help out and ensure that the athletes and contributors do not get sanctioned or criticized. I have given money to programs in the past myself as I'm sure others have too. If his efforts to promote, salute, and reward these young ladies takes off then maybe the State of West Virginia will take another big step forward (they have already done a lot) to provide more opportunities for these young ladies.

Ray Marling
OVAC Official, (RET)

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:15 pm

People make donations. That's not new. IF there's a problem with these ideas, it might be because the contribution of money is still directly tied to the athlete's performance.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 pm

forthekids wrote:I applaud Bearhugger for stepping up. Just make sure it is legal. Not sure not associated with WVSSAC matters. Hope it all works out!.

I am sure this board will blow up in next two weeks on what could should of happened.

in my eyes most important thing is life lessons being learned to help make productive members of society, while learning why it is the greatest and oldest sport on earth.

Chris Diserio

To expand, there are a few wrestlers that did not qualify for the state tournament but they possess more heart, more fight, more character than I ever had. They also possess more heart, fight and character than ANY of the readers. One of these wrestlers is on Poca's team!

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:20 pm

I posted the rule directly from WVSSAC, because I don’t want a kid to lose their eligibility over $25. I get that it’s a “donation” to a program but it is directly tied to the performance of an individual at a WVSSAC event and directly benefits said individuals program. I don’t know where WVSSAC/lawyer is going to stand within this gray area. Donations to public school programs are certainly tax deductible and auditable. I’m all for rewarding exemplary performance, just please make sure for the kids sake it’s done in the appropriate manner. Perhaps a queen of the mat college scholarship would be more appropriate, seeing how educational scholarships are exempted, and the proposed name was profoundly derogatory.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:27 pm

dontlikethelights wrote:I posted the rule directly from WVSSAC, because I don’t want a kid to lose their eligibility over $25. I get that it’s a “donation” to a program but it is directly tied to the performance of an individual at a WVSSAC event and directly benefits said individuals program. I don’t know where WVSSAC/lawyer is going to stand within this gray area. Donations to public school programs are certainly tax deductible and auditable. I’m all for rewarding exemplary performance, just please make sure for the kids sake it’s done in the appropriate manner. Perhaps a queen of the mat college scholarship would be more appropriate, seeing how educational scholarships are exempted, and the proposed name was profoundly derogatory.

I suggest the WVSSAC's lawyer gets to work and provides some commentary to educate me and everybody else on this topic. My lawyer doesn't see the harm. I had a donor ask me yesterday "what does the wrestler get"? I said nothing!

As for the name "Babe", there are many definitions. I know what my mindset was when I typed it. I see what others' mindset is also.

I am now leaning toward "The girl wrestler who wins the most matches" award.

Thanks for your input.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:07 pm

People are getting caught up on how the money is given or who it's given to. The rule that was cited is somewhat broad and does not say it applies only to money paid directly to the athlete. The rule is in place to insure that our amateur athletes aren't taken advantage of and programs aren't enticed to cheat or become otherwise corrupted by money. The point is that donations can be made for equipment, expenses, food, travel, etc., but donations based on performance or success/failure of our athletes can't be accepted, so for that reason, I doubt most coaches would be willing to accept such awards. I cannot pay my athletes for doing a, b, or c. A donation from someone for those same things wouldn't be allowed either. A couple posters have tried to make this point, but it's fallen on deaf ears. The idea is a noble gesture, and there's no doubt money can be a good motivator, but I do not think it is permitted. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:05 pm

aacoach70 wrote:People are getting caught up on how the money is given or who it's given to. The rule that was cited is somewhat broad and does not say it applies only to money paid directly to the athlete. The rule is in place to insure that our amateur athletes aren't taken advantage of and programs aren't enticed to cheat or become otherwise corrupted by money. The point is that donations can be made for equipment, expenses, food, travel, etc., but donations based on performance or success/failure of our athletes can't be accepted, so for that reason, I doubt most coaches would be willing to accept such awards. I cannot pay my athletes for doing a, b, or c. A donation from someone for those same things wouldn't be allowed either. A couple posters have tried to make this point, but it's fallen on deaf ears. The idea is a noble gesture, and there's no doubt money can be a good motivator, but I do not think it is permitted. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Donations cannot be made? How about money is spent on equipment and then equipment is donated? I like that idea better. A climbing rope, a set of dumbbells, an ab roller, etc, etc will benefit wrestlers yet to be born as long as the equipment is maintained.

I am reading a bunch of devil advocates that have not provided any real documented "intercepted memos". One person has shared the documented rule. I read the rule and I am working within the rule. We got another 10 days to hash this out.

Bring on the facts!!! If it wasn't for donations and fundraisers, WV wrestling would have died sooner.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 pm

What are you guys going to do if a $1 donation is made to every school that wins on Thursday night? And another donation to every school that has a wrestler that loses after 9pm on Friday night?

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Bearhugger, you obviously want to help, but you could end up inadvertently causing harm (and I know that's exactly the opposite of your aim). So, your position is that you are contemplating doing this thing that probably is illegal and you expect the WVSSAC to contact you to head it off? Interesting. I think it's also unfair to characterize those that have tried to provide the other side on this issue as being somehow anti wrestling or unwilling to promote or unwilling to whatever. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to contact the WVSSAC and tell them what you'd like to do and see what they say.

WVwrestling365

Postby WVwrestling365 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Bearhugger go eat a brick!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:33 pm

aacoach70 wrote:Bearhugger, you obviously want to help, but you could end up inadvertently causing harm (and I know that's exactly the opposite of your aim). So, your position is that you are contemplating doing this thing that probably is illegal and you expect the WVSSAC to contact you to head it off? Interesting. I think it's also unfair to characterize those that have tried to provide the other side on this issue as being somehow anti wrestling or unwilling to promote or unwilling to whatever. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to contact the WVSSAC and tell them what you'd like to do and see what they say.

"Probably" illegal? Probably means you do not know. I probably see no harm.

Return to “High School Wrestling”