Baddest Babe Award

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach70

Re: Baddest Babe Award

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:02 pm

I tried to speak respectfully. 30 years of working within the rules of the WVSSAC, boosters clubs, fundraisers, school finance offices, audits, athletic directors, and administrators tells me it is not permissible as you've laid it out. You could make a donation to whatever program you wish and you don't even have to specify what it's for other than general operating expenses, but you cannot award money. You can't give training equipment or anything else of significant value either if it is known to be for an athlete's performance. Certainly you can donate. The catch is that you've already laid out your plans for the world to see. The program with the "LAT" or "4th", or female, etc, now becomes the subject of scrutiny if they receive money. Am I 100% sure about this? No. You never know what the governing body may rule sometimes. I'm just telling you as I understand the rules to be. We have hurdles, but we have to operate within the rules, or we risk too much. Imagine pinning your way to a state title and then being declared ineligible or your school penalized because you received a few bucks from a fan trying to promote the sport. Don't take offense to it. Just call and ask. I don't have a memo for you, but maybe other coaches or athletic directors can offer their professional opinions about what you're proposing. I think folks don't want to get into trouble or see you look like the bad guy just for trying to do something good. Hope you get it figured out.

mscoach12

Postby mscoach12 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:27 pm

I think we are setting an awesome example for our youth! Come on..... does everyone have to prove their point is the correct one? Bearhugger wasn't making negative only showing the positive and excitement for these ladies accomplishments. Good lord this is getting just like the Democrats and Republicans bull.... we can have different opinions people and still be compassionate. I coached for a long time and saw the struggles with kids and programs not able to afford to eat, let alone compete! Instead of arguing about who is right, let’s find a solution that everyone wins. Let’s find the solution for kids and programs don’t have to worry about not being able to go. Now I will step off the soapbox and get the popcorn ready....

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:41 pm

mscoach12 wrote:I think we are setting an awesome example for our youth! Come on..... does everyone have to prove their point is the correct one? Bearhugger wasn't making negative only showing the positive and excitement for these ladies accomplishments. Good lord this is getting just like the Democrats and Republicans bull.... we can have different opinions people and still be compassionate. I coached for a long time and saw the struggles with kids and programs not able to afford to eat, let alone compete! Instead of arguing about who is right, let’s find a solution that everyone wins. Let’s find the solution for kids and programs don’t have to worry about not being able to go. Now I will step off the soapbox and get the popcorn ready....

well said

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:36 pm

INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM BEARHUGGER: Upon review of the name "Baddest Babe" to simply recognize the female wrestler that wins the most matches at the 2020 West Virginia State Tournament, the name has now been changed. In collaboration with a select group of fathers, mothers, coaches, hall of famers, coaches' committee members and even some mat maids (is this term degrading now too???), we have formed a new name.

The "BADDEST BEAUTY" Award. The term "Beauty" is obviously good enough for everybody's beloved West Virginia University to use in marketing their upcoming event involving the wrestling and gymnastics team.

Whereas I am simply a wrestling fan, a wrestling analyst, a wrestling promotor and self-ordained wrestling visionary, I am nothing compared to the great, majestic organization that West Virginia University is. If the name "Beauty" offends you in any form, please forward your complaints to the President of West Virginia University.

In conclusion, I offer a sincere apology to those who were offended by the term Babe. On the other hand, I will sit back and watch how your wrestlers do. Mental preparation is the most neglected aspect of wrestling that determines winners and loser, competitors and quitters.

Sticks and stones!!!!

Good luck!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:03 am

Bearhugger wrote:INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM BEARHUGGER: Upon review of the name "Baddest Babe" to simply recognize the female wrestler that wins the most matches at the 2020 West Virginia State Tournament, the name has now been changed. In collaboration with a select group of fathers, mothers, coaches, hall of famers, coaches' committee members and even some mat maids (is this term degrading now too???), we have formed a new name.

The "BADDEST BEAUTY" Award. The term "Beauty" is obviously good enough for everybody's beloved West Virginia University to use in marketing their upcoming event involving the wrestling and gymnastics team.

Whereas I am simply a wrestling fan, a wrestling analyst, a wrestling promotor and self-ordained wrestling visionary, I am nothing compared to the great, majestic organization that West Virginia University is. If the name "Beauty" offends you in any form, please forward your complaints to the President of West Virginia University.

In conclusion, I offer a sincere apology to those who were offended by the term Babe. On the other hand, I will sit back and watch how your wrestlers do. Mental preparation is the most neglected aspect of wrestling that determines winners and loser, competitors and quitters.

Sticks and stones!!!!

Good luck!

I saw that advertisement and in all honesty I thought the Beauty terminology was referring to the wrestlers and the Beast was referring to the Gymnasts. Are you so sure that you're not making a rather derogatory generalization? Isn't it possible that you are a bit presumptuous in your assumption? Have you not realized yet that you just can't win. (PS: Please just keep this between you and me, but you have given me a great idea on how to eliminate a lot of competition for next year for just $25 a pop).

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:22 am

KDunbar wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:INTERCEPTED MEMO FROM BEARHUGGER: Upon review of the name "Baddest Babe" to simply recognize the female wrestler that wins the most matches at the 2020 West Virginia State Tournament, the name has now been changed. In collaboration with a select group of fathers, mothers, coaches, hall of famers, coaches' committee members and even some mat maids (is this term degrading now too???), we have formed a new name.

Sticks and stones!!!!

Good luck!

I saw that advertisement and in all honesty I thought the Beauty terminology was referring to the wrestlers and the Beast was referring to the Gymnasts. Are you so sure that you're not making a rather derogatory generalization? Isn't it possible that you are a bit presumptuous in your assumption? Have you not realized yet that you just can't win. (PS: Please just keep this between you and me, but you have given me a great idea on how to eliminate a lot of competition for next year for just $25 a pop).

The word on the street is WVU now has a few faculty members that oppose the usage of the "Beauty and the Beast" wording. I came across a YouTube video for WVU's Beauty and the Beast from 2014. 2014!!!!! How has this become a problem 6 years later.

The biggest threat to today's youth is this mindset that words will demoralize and destroy them. We are cultivating generations that will lose world wars because soldiers from enemy nations call them "Babe" or "Dude" on the battle field.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Campion

Postby Campion » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 pm

A wise woman once told me...

Offense is an Event. Offended is a Choice.

aacoach75

Postby aacoach75 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:51 pm

^^^^^❗

Return to “High School Wrestling”