"Fantastic Fourth" Award

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

"Fantastic Fourth" Award

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:07 pm

Due to increased donors, we will have increased awards. We will now recognize the "Fantastic Fourth" Award.

This will be awarded to the regional 4th placer that places the highest in the state tournament. A donation (starting at $25) will be donated this the winning wrestler's team for next season.

Wrestling teaches life lessons. This award and recognition will show the young ladies and gentlemen that is doesn't matter where you start, but where you actually finish.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

HiCoach

Re: "Fantastic Fourth" Award

Postby HiCoach » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:12 am

Have you even looked into the legalities of “donating” money to a school based on a high school athletes performance? I know from coaching in NCAA that could be a violation. I realize you are donating to that program, but still could be illegal or at least seen as unethical in my opinion.

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 pm

If it trickles down to the athlete then there may be an issue. Otherwise I would be very interested to see the basis of your opinion. Care to share a link?

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Usually schools and their teams/clubs have to report donations to the school board. Any money raised or given or spent has to be recorded, as far as I am aware. There shouldn't be an issue with giving money for an award like this (i am of the opinion that even having an award like this is ridiculous, but that's not the point) as long as Bearhugger or whoever is donating goes through the proper legal channels with the school.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Due to increased donors, we will have increased awards. We will now recognize the "Fantastic Fourth" Award.

This will be awarded to the regional 4th placer that places the highest in the state tournament. A donation (starting at $25) will be donated this the winning wrestler's team for next season.

Wrestling teaches life lessons. This award and recognition will show the young ladies and gentlemen that is doesn't matter where you start, but where you actually finish.

Lol. Maybe we should try a “2 and out award” and give it to the first guy out of the tournament that gets to the dippin dots booth the fastest.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:17 pm

I plan to contact certain coaches after the state tournament and inform them that I would like to donate to their program. I will not tell them why.

The donation will be made in the form of a check. The reason will be "donation for the wrestling program".

As for any dialogue on any form of social media that could be linked to me, it could be because my account was hacked.

I must say that many are pulling out their rule books suddenly. While we are at it, the word on the street was we had a rule dispute at AAA region 4 on weigh ins/dropping down a weight class. I suggest we get that situation cleared up so some young wrestler doesn't worry about his future at the state tournament.

I question how such experienced coaches find themselves at odds over the same written rule. Also, why wasn't this said rule discussed proactively and mutually agreed upon BEFORE it became a heated subject at a state tournament qualifying event?? Somebody was right. Somebody was wrong.

I have been reminded just in the past 24 hours how one's mental attitude impacts what they read, what they see and what they comprehend.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:18 pm

JustSomeone wrote:Usually schools and their teams/clubs have to report donations to the school board. Any money raised or given or spent has to be recorded, as far as I am aware. There shouldn't be an issue with giving money for an award like this (i am of the opinion that even having an award like this is ridiculous, but that's not the point) as long as Bearhugger or whoever is donating goes through the proper legal channels with the school.

How was fundraising at the program you are associated with?

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Sure you can say you are donating money to the program, but donations are recorded differently now and must go through school board. I know this because I work in the system and have gone through this recently. Besides the point, even if you donate to the program you are creating an “award” that is based on individual athlete success. NFHS prohibits any cash prizes for awards (certain states have exceptions for no more than $20 based on entry fees, etc. but WV is not one of them). Giving money based solely on which athlete has success in a certain area is creating a cash prize for wrestlers to fight for. That is basically a wager. If not then just donate money because you want to, not because some wrestler earns it. You are getting away from the real meaning of competition. I’m sure if the WVSSAC heard of such things, they would not approve.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:58 pm

HiCoach wrote:Sure you can say you are donating money to the program, but donations are recorded differently now and must go through school board. I know this because I work in the system and have gone through this recently. Besides the point, even if you donate to the program you are creating an “award” that is based on individual athlete success. NFHS prohibits any cash prizes for awards (certain states have exceptions for no more than $20 based on entry fees, etc. but WV is not one of them). Giving money based solely on which athlete has success in a certain area is creating a cash prize for wrestlers to fight for. That is basically a wager. If not then just donate money because you want to, not because some wrestler earns it. You are getting away from the real meaning of competition. I’m sure if the WVSSAC heard of such things, they would not approve.

Cash prize to a wrestler vs Donation to a program? Independent of any of my statements, I figure all wrestlers are striving or fighting for various levels of success anyway. They always have in the past. Somebody should "intercept some memos" and send them to the WVSSAC.

There is no wager involved. Nobody has predicted a winner in any manner.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:Usually schools and their teams/clubs have to report donations to the school board. Any money raised or given or spent has to be recorded, as far as I am aware. There shouldn't be an issue with giving money for an award like this (i am of the opinion that even having an award like this is ridiculous, but that's not the point) as long as Bearhugger or whoever is donating goes through the proper legal channels with the school.

Fundraising at the school i am associated with requires us to document what the fundraiser is, examples of what the money we raise will be used for, and to document the exact amount of money we raised/spent for the fundraiser. For a donation, it must go through the school board. How exactly or what is involved with that, i have no idea, as we do not normally get donations. But i believe going through the school board is the appropriate process. As others said however, tying a donation to the success of an athlete is illegal. I am not sure of any way around it.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:37 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Fundraising at the school i am associated with requires us to document what the fundraiser is, examples of what the money we raise will be used for, and to document the exact amount of money we raised/spent for the fundraiser. For a donation, it must go through the school board. How exactly or what is involved with that, i have no idea, as we do not normally get donations. But i believe going through the school board is the appropriate process. As others said however, tying a donation to the success of an athlete is illegal. I am not sure of any way around it.

What about if a piece of equipment is donated to a wrestling team and there is no way to prove the reason for the donation other than "I like the team's school colors and I want to help"?

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

What about if a piece of equipment is donated to a wrestling team and there is no way to prove the reason for the donation other than "I like the team's school colors and I want to help"?

You could do that, and unless a WVSSAC member is lurking here that ties posts here and that donation together or someone wants to complain about it and use posts here as proof, you could probably get away with that. But is it worth the risk?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:23 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:

You could do that, and unless a WVSSAC member is lurking here that ties posts here and that donation together or someone wants to complain about it and use posts here as proof, you could probably get away with that. But is it worth the risk?

People complain no matter what anybody does or says. There is so much complaining these days that complaining has lost its effectiveness. The lurking WVSSAC members should be focusing on bigger fish to fry such as:
1. Regional realignments.
2. Class A, AA, AAA, AAAA projects and plans.
3. Skin disease control. Why do we not mop the mats at the state tournament after warm ups like we did a few seasons ago when the skin scare hit??
4. Phantom Point avoidance, desk worker training/focus.
5. Rule clarification and review courses.
6. Preventing Bearhugger from donating a Suzanne Sommers Thigh Master to a wrestling team.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 am

Anyone can donate to a program. Yes, it must be labeled to the program it goes to. If it's not going to a booster club or to a coach/ team itself how can it be wrong..

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:27 am

I understand you are selling this as a donation to the program (based off of performance) and it appears you're going to dance around the rules. But a simple search clearly states:

§127-3-5. Awards. 5.1. Only a member school or a school sponsoring a sanctioned event may give the following awards to a student or team: medal, trophy, cup, certificate, ribbon, plaque, unattached letter, unattached chevron, or any similar award.

So regardless of the legality of the donation, you're awarding this as a non-member.

I'm all for the promotion of the sport and probably should donate to the cause! But, you've asked for clear distinction of legal vs. illegal. Definitely illegal.

"Beware of the ringworm!"
- Mike Bloomberg

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:29 am

I have secured a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer to be donated.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 am

ringworm14 wrote:I understand you are selling this as a donation to the program (based off of performance) and it appears you're going to dance around the rules. But a simple search clearly states:

§127-3-5. Awards. 5.1. Only a member school or a school sponsoring a sanctioned event may give the following awards to a student or team: medal, trophy, cup, certificate, ribbon, plaque, unattached letter, unattached chevron, or any similar award.

So regardless of the legality of the donation, you're awarding this as a non-member.

I'm all for the promotion of the sport and probably should donate to the cause! But, you've asked for clear distinction of legal vs. illegal. Definitely illegal.

- Mike Bloomberg

The rule you have provided uses the term "awards". Show me the rule that uses the word "donation".

Thanks

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:42 am

Bearhugger wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:I understand you are selling this as a donation to the program (based off of performance) and it appears you're going to dance around the rules. But a simple search clearly states:

- Mike Bloomberg

The rule you have provided uses the term "awards". Show me the rule that uses the word "donation".

Thanks

Each thread is titled "Award".

Show me how that's a donation.

Thanks.

- Bernie Sanders

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 am

ringworm14 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

- Mike Bloomberg

Thanks

Thanks.

- Bernie Sanders

The "award" is recognition for what a given wrestler does. The wrestler will be identified and recognized for whichever achievement. There is no medal, trophy, cup, certificate, ribbon, plaque, unattached letter, unattached chevron, or any similar award.

As for the donation to the program, that is a separate matter. If I donate to any program, why I donate is my reason. The burden of proof is not on me. It is on my accusers.

If I donate a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer to Bugtussle Regional High School, just how can anybody prove why I did it? What organization is going to spend their time and resources repossessing the power juicer and suspending a program?? I hope this said organization has all of their bigger fish fried first. With all of the bigger fish to fry these days, it would be embarrassing for an organization to ignore their current and growing agenda to chase down a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer.

I have donated equipment already to different high schools in previous years.

What program are you affiliated with? I might make a donation to that school today so you can take the fall with me.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 am

Bearhugger wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Thanks

Thanks.

- Bernie Sanders

The "award" is recognition for what a given wrestler does. The wrestler will be identified and recognized for whichever achievement. There is no medal, trophy, cup, certificate, ribbon, plaque, unattached letter, unattached chevron, or any similar award.

As for the donation to the program, that is a separate matter. If I donate to any program, why I donate is my reason. The burden of proof is not on me. It is on my accusers.

If I donate a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer to Bugtussle Regional High School, just how can anybody prove why I did it? What organization is going to spend their time and resources repossessing the power juicer and suspending a program?? I hope this said organization has all of their bigger fish fried first. With all of the bigger fish to fry these days, it would be embarrassing for an organization to ignore their current and growing agenda to chase down a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer.

What program are you affiliated with? I might make a donation to that school today so you can take the fall with me.

We'd take a donated Jack Lalanne Power Juicer!!!!

I believe people are just wanting to post to get a rise. This isn't about belittling a team or wrestler. If someone wants to donate money to a program so be it... I believe there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to rules and how they sway to a side that is truly unfair.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

figure4match wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:

Thanks.

- Bernie Sanders

I believe people are just wanting to post to get a rise. This isn't about belittling a team or wrestler. If someone wants to donate money to a program so be it... I believe there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to rules and how they sway to a side that is truly unfair.

No one is posting to get a rise, people are posting so that a school/team/wrestler doesn't get their body of work this seasoned stripped or the team is sanctioned or whatever the WVSSAC might do just because a few people don't want to follow the rules or call the WVSSAC to sort this out. WVSSAC wont come for you, they will come for the program. If you want to promote the sport/wrestlers with these awards, so be it. If you want to donate, just follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, go change them. But i can tell you that if a wrestler on a team i am affiliated with gets this award, and there is a donation that does not follow the rules, and the WVSSAC punishes the team i am affiliated with, i will most certainly make a post to get a rise. I am sure other coaches would agree. Don't screw over kids/coaches/fans/programs just because you may not agree with the WVSSAC. Rules are rules.

mscoach20

Postby mscoach20 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Has anyone simply called to see the best way to handle the situation? Seems a lot easier than all of this speculation.
Tench

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:54 am

figure4match wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
ringworm14 wrote:

Thanks.

- Bernie Sanders

I have no idea on Earth how anybody has twisted all of this around as to think there is any belittling of wrestlers, schools or programs. The recognition was posted in sincerity and some of the response has been comical!!!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:01 am

JustSomeone wrote:
figure4match wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

No one is posting to get a rise, people are posting so that a school/team/wrestler doesn't get their body of work this seasoned stripped or the team is sanctioned or whatever the WVSSAC might do just because a few people don't want to follow the rules or call the WVSSAC to sort this out. WVSSAC wont come for you, they will come for the program. If you want to promote the sport/wrestlers with these awards, so be it. If you want to donate, just follow the rules. If you don't like the rules, go change them. But i can tell you that if a wrestler on a team i am affiliated with gets this award, and there is a donation that does not follow the rules, and the WVSSAC punishes the team i am affiliated with, i will most certainly make a post to get a rise. I am sure other coaches would agree. Don't screw over kids/coaches/fans/programs just because you may not agree with the WVSSAC. Rules are rules.

No rules have been broken. Do you really think that a team is going to get stripped of their team points, their state champions are going to be stricken from the record books all because their team received a donation in the form of a Suzanne Sommers Thigh Master??

I can see the national news on Flo. "WV does it again. First the skin disease/two state tournament fiasco. Then the Phantom Point Debacle. NOW, three state champions stripped of their titles because their team was given a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer".

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:20 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
figure4match wrote:

No rules have been broken. Do you really think that a team is going to get stripped of their team points, their state champions are going to be stricken from the record books all because their team received a donation in the form of a Suzanne Sommers Thigh Master??

I can see the national news on Flo. "WV does it again. First the skin disease/two state tournament fiasco. Then the Phantom Point Debacle. NOW, three state champions stripped of their titles because their team was given a Jack Lalanne Power Juicer".

You haven't broken any rules yet. Everything that has been said has been to PREVENT a break in the rules. You are trying to donate money (or your thigh master) based on the performance of athletes, that is against the rules. It doesn't matter what the WVSSAC or what the NFHS would/wouldn't, might/might not do, it is still a rule that would be broken and a punishment for the team might absolutely follow. If you want to scoff at and not take seriously the rules of the governing bodies of WV high school sports or of the governing bodies of national high school sports that is on you, but we coaches do not. Just because you don't like the rules, doesn't mean you are exempt from following them. Why take the chance of hurting a coach, wrestler, team, program just because you don't like a rule? Call the WVSSAC like you should have already done and do this the legal way that wont result in punishment. Why is that such a difficult thing to do? Promote the sport by doing it the legal way, that isn't a crazy request.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:00 pm

JustSomeone wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:

You haven't broken any rules yet. Everything that has been said has been to PREVENT a break in the rules. You are trying to donate money (or your thigh master) based on the performance of athletes, that is against the rules. It doesn't matter what the WVSSAC or what the NFHS would/wouldn't, might/might not do, it is still a rule that would be broken and a punishment for the team might absolutely follow. If you want to scoff at and not take seriously the rules of the governing bodies of WV high school sports or of the governing bodies of national high school sports that is on you, but we coaches do not. Just because you don't like the rules, doesn't mean you are exempt from following them. Why take the chance of hurting a coach, wrestler, team, program just because you don't like a rule? Call the WVSSAC like you should have already done and do this the legal way that wont result in punishment. Why is that such a difficult thing to do? Promote the sport by doing it the legal way, that isn't a crazy request.

You have a history of being against anything I say on here. That is fine. However, your history is your history. I never said I was against any rules. Those are your words, fueled by your history toward me.

I have not read any rule that states donating equipment is illegal. I have seen where businesses have bought teams mats. Mats that cost a lot of money. Whatever method this was done, then I will follow. As for any coincidental speculation for my reasons, they are/could be coincidental.

Go chill out and get your team ready.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:43 pm

The people who are repeatedly explaining their interpretation of a rule and urging bear hugger to contact the wvssac for the official interpretation are apparently selective in their ability to read rules. Those people (some of whom are coaches) are telling bear hugger to do something that is also against the rules. The front page of the wvssac website states with more clarity than the rules cited about giving a donation to a school that it is against the rules for anyone other than an athletic director to ask for an interpretation and the wvssac will not entertain rules or eligibility requests from coaches or parents or bear huggers. So those long time coaches who are lecturing bear hugger on the rules might want to brush up on their own domain.

aacoach70

Postby aacoach70 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:36 pm

Point made, but it doesn't prevent a person from going through proper channels to get an answer before such proposals. 1st year coaches know better than to accept money for their athletes' performance. That much is clear. I think some coaches have tried to point that out is all. If you have a wrestler that fits the bill for one of Bearhugger's awards, and see no problem with accepting money from him, go right ahead. I can only speak for myself when I say I could not.
If you want to help programs, be transparent, and do it without controversy, how about giving prior to wrestling on Thursday?
Now, you go ahead and question my integrity or character. That's fine. Maybe 57 will gladly accept a juicer.

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 pm

”The WVSSAC office and staff members do not respond to e-mail messages. To avoid any misunderstanding, confusion or delay, all questions regarding the eligibility of a student/athlete by their parent/s or coach should be directed through the Athletic Director or Principal. The Athletic Director should then gather all information necessary and call or write the WVSSAC. By following this path of communication, it is hoped that a more timely ruling can be made“

That is a more conservative interpretation of what their statement says. To avoid confusion or delay...SHOULD. Should and shall are two different things, it does not explicitly say you are not permitted to call WVSSAC. This is my objective interpretation, I’m sure they don’t want every mom, dad, cousin, aunt, etc. constantly calling. Now to do what I try not to and give a personal opinion, in the future just donate, don’t publicly state any reasoning. For what it’s worth I always let our AD and Principal take care of SSAC issues.

JustSomeone

Postby JustSomeone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:56 am

Bearhugger wrote:
JustSomeone wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

You have a history of being against anything I say on here. That is fine. However, your history is your history. I never said I was against any rules. Those are your words, fueled by your history toward me.

I have not read any rule that states donating equipment is illegal. I have seen where businesses have bought teams mats. Mats that cost a lot of money. Whatever method this was done, then I will follow. As for any coincidental speculation for my reasons, they are/could be coincidental.

Go chill out and get your team ready.

Stop trying to make this out to be a personal attack on you. It's not about you, don't try and twist what im saying to fit around some anti-bearhugger bias you think is present. I have offered suggestions so that harm is prevented, i sure hope you can understand that. I replied to you in respect to your willingness to donate to teams, which is a great thing. I don't like just giving awards outside of the already approved WVSSAC awards to kids, but donating is a great thing. And all i said to YOU, originally, was to make sure you go through the proper channels (WVSSAC, School board, principal, whomever) to ensure it is done in a legal manner. Donations happen all the time. However, you have left a very clear justification for your donation on here and on your facebook page, talking about AWARDS BASED ON PERFORMANCE. That is CLEARLY illegal, and it is absolutely silly to think this these things couldn't or wouldn't be used if a case were to be brought up based on donations. As i have said, go through the proper channels to ensure that NO ONE is harmed by this good faith gesture. Your snide remarks about what the governing bodies might do, and mocking the punishment shows a clear lack of respect for what could befall a team. Another poster remarked that those who are informing everyone of the rules and pitfalls of such an act are only posting to "get a rise" only further shows a lack of respect for the consequences.

Go chill out and talk to the WVSSAC/AD/Principle/School board/whoever

Return to “High School Wrestling”