Pittsburgh Classic 2020

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
wvnorth

Pittsburgh Classic 2020

Postby wvnorth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am

Imagine team WV’s lineup? A major ball was dropped here. Unbelievable!!!

forthekids

Re: Pittsburgh Classic 2020

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:18 pm

wvnorth wrote:Imagine team WV’s lineup? A major ball was dropped here. Unbelievable!!!

No ball dropped here. Have to be invited. Think they are still feeling sting from last time. :D

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm

forthekids wrote:
wvnorth wrote:Imagine team WV’s lineup? A major ball was dropped here. Unbelievable!!!

No ball dropped here. Have to be invited. Think they are still feeling sting from last time. :D

I really thought we’d see Team WV there this year. This class deserves it. Very disappointing!!!

Studcradle

Postby Studcradle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:42 pm

WVNORTH What do you think the WV lineup would look like? Anyone know when they release the names of the wrestlers who are participating? It would be interesting to compare our lineup against the WPIAL and other teams.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:47 pm

wvnorth wrote:
forthekids wrote:

I really thought we’d see Team WV there this year. This class deserves it. Very disappointing!!!

I totally agree

1. You need to get invited.
2. You need to come up with sponsorship. I think it is around 8k.
3. Then find someone to coach.

It has been announced. It is Maryland. I know we got one on TEAM USA.

I think the biggest hurdle would be sponsorship. It almost fell through last time when Mylan pulled out. Thankfully, a life long enthusiast stepped up and covered it.

I agree this would have been the year. Maybe they knew that, after all it is a charity event. Don't think they want PA losing. LOL

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm

forthekids wrote:
wvnorth wrote:
forthekids wrote:

I totally agree

I think the biggest hurdle would be sponsorship. It almost fell through last time when Mylan pulled out. Thankfully, a life long enthusiast stepped up and covered it.

I agree this would have been the year. Maybe they knew that, after all it is a charity event. Don't think they want PA losing. LOL

For some reason, "wrestling enthusiasts" come under fire when trying to sponsor wrestling teams. We must pull together and seek facts first rather than go with "probably wrong", "probably illegal", etc. Although I do not know why Mylan pulled out, it "probably" was because somebody made them feel bad for contributing to the sport of wrestling. Many teams get little to NO support from their own school or community.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
forthekids wrote:
wvnorth wrote:

I totally agree

For some reason, "wrestling enthusiasts" come under fire when trying to sponsor wrestling teams. We must pull together and seek facts first rather than go with "probably wrong", "probably illegal", etc. Although I do not know why Mylan pulled out, it "probably" was because somebody made them feel bad for contributing to the sport of wrestling. Many teams get little to NO support from their own school or community.

Mylan pulled out because Pittsburgh Post is the major sponsor. That is when the CEO was taking heat for the being Machin's daughter and raising price of pens etc. They didn't like the bad press they were getting. This is a different scenario being a charity event. All money goes to Boys and Girls club of Western Pa. It is a non profit organization. Thankfully, someone stepped up and gave a large chunk of money to make it happen. I didn’t say his name because he didn’t want it to get out and out of respect to him. HOF Chuck Satterfield was a driving force behind it. These things don’t happen over night and I am sure it is years of planning.
Last edited by forthekids on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Studcradle wrote:WVNORTH What do you think the WV lineup would look like? Anyone know when they release the names of the wrestlers who are participating? It would be interesting to compare our lineup against the WPIAL and other teams.

I don’t wanna give a lineup, Bearhugger is better for that. I’m just saying that with Shelek, Miller, Roberts, Hall, Best, Bush, Amos and Frazier (I don’t know all the good kids so don’t jump me) we have a nice start there.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:02 pm

forthekids wrote:
wvnorth wrote:
forthekids wrote:

I totally agree

Man 8k is a touch on the preposterous side. Sad these boys couldn’t align just once in the same singlet. Such a great group!!!

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:43 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I commend you for donating your time and money to help programs and the sport. Unless I am misinterpreting or missing something, no one is putting you under fire or shaming you for contributing to programs. That being said you seem to have a tenuous grasp of Coach Jarvis' comments at best. The issue is publicly stating that money will be awarded for performance, which can be interpreted as a violation of WVSSAC Policy S127-2-11 11.1.a. and 11.1.c. All it takes is some upset parent to complain that another program was awarded money for their kids performance instead of theirs. The forum comments describing reasoning of such donations/awards would be discoverable and admittable in a courtroom(screenshots are a thing). I am an engineer and not a lawyer and as such if there is any uncertainty I use the term, most likely or probable. Rules are often written ambiguously and open to various interpretations. My work duties include serving as an "expert witness" (I don't know about the term expert lol). Constitutional laws can be void for vagueness if the average person can not understand it, in this case you are at the mercy of how the WVSSAC interprets their own statute. As a coach I have been through an eligibility investigation of an athlete and it is stressful and no fun for anyone involved. I won't mention sport, name or reasoning for said investigation, but not wrestling or money related. You still have almost a week, just reach out to Bernie Dolan/WVSSAC and verify they are okay with it and if not they can probably find a way to do it within their rules. Again, it is awesome that you want to help programs and recognize performances, but no one wants to see a program or athlete in trouble over this. Cue nonsensical response that elicits complete misunderstanding.

Coach_BradleyReed

Postby Coach_BradleyReed » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:28 pm

dontlikethelights wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

I commend you for donating your time and money to help programs and the sport. Unless I am misinterpreting or missing something, no one is putting you under fire or shaming you for contributing to programs. That being said you seem to have a tenuous grasp of Coach Jarvis' comments at best. The issue is publicly stating that money will be awarded for performance, which can be interpreted as a violation of WVSSAC Policy S127-2-11 11.1.a. and 11.1.c. All it takes is some upset parent to complain that another program was awarded money for their kids performance instead of theirs. The forum comments describing reasoning of such donations/awards would be discoverable and admittable in a courtroom(screenshots are a thing). I am an engineer and not a lawyer and as such if there is any uncertainty I use the term, most likely or probable. Rules are often written ambiguously and open to various interpretations. My work duties include serving as an "expert witness" (I don't know about the term expert lol). Constitutional laws can be void for vagueness if the average person can not understand it, in this case you are at the mercy of how the WVSSAC interprets their own statute. As a coach I have been through an eligibility investigation of an athlete and it is stressful and no fun for anyone involved. I won't mention sport, name or reasoning for said investigation, but not wrestling or money related. You still have almost a week, just reach out to Bernie Dolan/WVSSAC and verify they are okay with it and if not they can probably find a way to do it within their rules. Again, it is awesome that you want to help programs and recognize performances, but no one wants to see a program or athlete in trouble over this. Cue nonsensical response that elicits complete misunderstanding.

This is an important point here. The WVSSAC Policy is a little vague, so it is up to their interpretation as to how they enforce this policy and what they would view as an infraction of this policy. Coaches have to adhere to the fundraising policies of their school districts so if a coach were to accept the donation they would need to verify with their school board/athletic boosters/athletic director before accepting it. I also think that it is important for the person wanting to make a donation like this, to verify with the WVSSAC if it is prohibited/allowed under the provisions of the policy. The WVSSAC isn't going to reach out to you to let you know if it is permissible or not. I agree that it is great to promote our sport, it needs to grow and I'm sure that many teams would appreciate donations; but if a donation ends up causing a team to be fined or worse then that defeats the purpose.

wvnorth

Postby wvnorth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Well that’s a whole lot of red tape and I’m for sure not the guy to try and navigate thru it but this is an annual tournament that hosts a different state all stars each year. Anyway, good luck Braxton Amos!! At least you get to represent!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”