A/AA Realignment 2020 - 2024 Proposal

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach15

Re: A/AA Realignment 2020 - 2024 Proposal

Postby aacoach15 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:42 am

Why would you split the Marion County schools?

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:37 am

It helps if the best 2 wrestlers are in the same region - no matter what pill is drawn they will be on opposite sides of the bracket.
Now wihen there are several good wrestlers and they get left out of states that is a different story.

figure4match

Postby figure4match » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am

baxter841 wrote:It helps if the best 2 wrestlers are in the same region - no matter what pill is drawn they will be on opposite sides of the bracket.
Now wihen there are several good wrestlers and they get left out of states that is a different story.

Ding Ding we have a winner. I believe that regions in both AA & AAA have been stacked to keep the top teams together in hopes of state match ups on opposite sides.

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 am

How does this look for regionals 2021 to 2024?
Region 1
Berkley Springs
Cameron
East Fairmont
Fairmont Senior
Frankfort
Keyser
Hundred
Madonna
Magnolia
North Marion
Oak Glen
Paden City
Tyler Consolidated
St. Marys
Valley
Weir
Wheeling Central

Region 2
Braxton County
Clay County
Doddridge County
East Hardy
Elkins
Grafton
Lewis County
Liberty Harrison
Petersburg
Moorefield
Lincoln
Notre Dame
Roane County
Robert C Byrd
South Harrison
Phillip Barbour
Ritchie County
Moorefield
Petersburg

Region 3
Webster County
Greenbrier West
Bluefield
Independence
Liberty Raleigh
Meadow Bridge
Midland Trail
Nicolas County
Pike View
Richwood
Riverview
Shady Spring
Wyoming East
Herbert Hoover

Region 4
Williamstown
Wirt County
Buffalo
Calhoun County
Chapmanville Regional
Logan
Man
Mingo Central
Point Pleasant
Nitro
Poca
Ravenswood
Sissonville
Wahama
Winfield
St Joseph Central
Parkersburg Catholic
Last edited by aacoach62 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 am

aacoach62 wrote:How does this look for regionals 2021 to 2024?
Region 1
Berkley Springs
Cameron
East Fairmont
Fairmont Senior
Frankfort
Keyser
Hundred
Madonna
Magnolia
North Marion
Oak Glen
Paden City
Tyler Consolidated
St. Marys
Valley
Weir
Wheeling Central

Region 2
Braxton County
Clay County
Doddridge County
East Hardy
Elkins
Grafton
Lewis County
Liberty Harrison
Petersburg
Moorefield
Lincoln
Notre Dame
Roane County
Robert C Byrd
South Harrison
Phillip Barbour
Ritchie County
Moorefield
Petersburg

Region 3
Webster County
Greenbrier West
Bluefield
Independence
Liberty Raleigh
Meadow Bridge
Midland Trail
Nicolas County
Pike View
Richwood
Riverview
Shady Spring
Wyoming East
Herbert Hoover

Region 4
Williamstown
Wirt County
Buffalo
Calhoun County
Chapmanville Regional
Logan
Man
Mingo Central
Point Pleasant
Nitro
Poca
Ravenswood
Sissonville
Wahama
Winfield
Herbert Hoover
St Joseph Central
Parkersburg Catholic

aside from the dates (This would only be for the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons, then there will be an evaluation of the 4 class system) I think this is exactly like something WVSSAC would send out. Shoot I'd bet they will send this out as soon as, yesterday.

aacoach62

Postby aacoach62 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:28 am

Yep, It was in my school mail this morning. My understanding it's the final draft.

aacoach126

Postby aacoach126 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:37 am

aacoach62 wrote:Yep, It was in my school mail this morning. My understanding it's the final draft.

Region 3 only has 10 wrestling teams in it (Assuming Hoover moves to Region 4, as they are shown in both Region 3 and 4). Surely they'd at least give some effort to making the regional alignment relatively even (number of teams).

Maybe I'm wrong?

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:55 am

aacoach126 wrote:
aacoach62 wrote:Yep, It was in my school mail this morning. My understanding it's the final draft.

Region 3 only has 10 wrestling teams in it (Assuming Hoover moves to Region 4, as they are shown in both Region 3 and 4). Surely they'd at least give some effort to making the regional alignment relatively even (number of teams).

Maybe I'm wrong?

HH is in 3.

aacoach141

Postby aacoach141 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 pm

aacoach62 wrote:How does this look for regionals 2021 to 2024?
Region 1
Berkley Springs
Cameron
East Fairmont
Fairmont Senior
Frankfort
Keyser
Hundred
Madonna
Magnolia
North Marion
Oak Glen
Paden City
Tyler Consolidated
St. Marys
Valley
Weir
Wheeling Central

Region 2
Braxton County
Clay County
Doddridge County
East Hardy
Elkins
Grafton
Lewis County
Liberty Harrison
Petersburg
Moorefield
Lincoln
Notre Dame
Roane County
Robert C Byrd
South Harrison
Phillip Barbour
Ritchie County
Moorefield
Petersburg

Region 3
Webster County
Greenbrier West
Bluefield
Independence
Liberty Raleigh
Meadow Bridge
Midland Trail
Nicolas County
Pike View
Richwood
Riverview
Shady Spring
Wyoming East
Herbert Hoover

Region 4
Williamstown
Wirt County
Buffalo
Calhoun County
Chapmanville Regional
Logan
Man
Mingo Central
Point Pleasant
Nitro
Poca
Ravenswood
Sissonville
Wahama
Winfield
Herbert Hoover
St Joseph Central
Parkersburg Catholic

This seems a little odd and hopefully mistyped.
Region 1 - 17 teams
Region 2 - 19 teams
Region 3 - 14 teams (assuming Hoover since they are in there twice)
Region 4 - 17 teams

Region 3 either has 13 or 14 teams. Most of those teams don't have more than 5-6 wrestlers. Which means Independence and any other "powerhouse" in that region will practically always send a near full team by default. Can we keep the number of teams in each region at least semi close?

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm

Based on the newly released basketball configurations, it is not the AAA-AA-A State Tournament and the AAAA State Tournament.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:07 pm

aacoach32 wrote:Based on the newly released basketball configurations, it is not the AAA-AA-A State Tournament and the AAAA State Tournament.

They still have way too much to figure out before they decide that.

But once the basketball trial is over there are a few options.
3 Tournaments
4A State
3A State
1A/2A State

2 Tournament
4A State
3A-1A state

2 Tournament
4A/3A state
2A/1A state.

Or who knows maybe that is when they go all class.

But before they get to that point they really need to see if this trial goes well.

I personally would like the see the 3 tournament option. But that is just to make it where I can see more wrestlers at the same tournament. ;).

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:33 pm

now

aacoach32

Postby aacoach32 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm

I like the three tournament setting as well.

Iwatchwrestling

Postby Iwatchwrestling » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Why don’t they make it simple. There is like 99 wrestling teams in the state. Start at the top by enrollment and take the first 33 teams and the second 33 and the last 33 and do a 3 class 32 man bracket tournament and get rid of the regions all together and let the wrestler decide who wins

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:56 pm

scruffy wrote:Not sure who all moves to AAA or who moves down to AA aside from Bridgeport. Here is my suggested Regions

Region 1 (16 Teams)
Oak Glen
Weir
Madonna
Cameron
Wheeling Central
Magnolia
Hundred
Paden City
Tyler Consolidated
St. Marys
Williamstown
Ritchie County
Doddridge County
Clay Battelle
Wirt County
North Marion

Interested to see what thoughts are. I feel this is pretty darn fair across the board.

So your idea is to take Region 1 from 18 teams down to 15 (Clay-Battelle has no team) and reduce the number of AA teams from 9 to 3, while every other region adds AA teams and loses A teams, and you see that as fair? What single A team are you a fan of?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:32 pm

aacoach15 wrote:Why would you split the Marion County schools?

In AA/A, we already split Kanawha County schools. Sissonville is in R4 and Hoover is in R3. I like the idea. This whole discussion is about splitting traditional powerhouse teams.

I raised splitting Parkersburg and Parkersburg South a few years ago. I still say we do it. DRIVE A WEDGE THROUGH WOOD COUNTY.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

DevilAum

Postby DevilAum » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 pm

Here's how ya fix it. Put all AA teams in 2 regions and all A teams in 2 regions. Top six out of each region. A must wrestle AA in in all pigtail or opening round matches, still using pill method ie: Region 1 AA 1vs Region 2A 4 or vice versa. This will allow more A wrestlers but should assure all the best wrestlers are competing for a state title.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:42 am

DevilAum wrote:Here's how ya fix it. Put all AA teams in 2 regions and all A teams in 2 regions. Top six out of each region. A must wrestle AA in in all pigtail or opening round matches, still using pill method ie: Region 1 AA 1vs Region 2A 4 or vice versa. This will allow more A wrestlers but should assure all the best wrestlers are competing for a state title.
so, just like the rest of society....squeeze the middle class?

DevilAum

Postby DevilAum » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Please tell me how that squeezes the middle class?

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 pm

99 schools really isn't that many, considering there are district tournaments in Ohio where nearly that many teams are represented. If having a 1 class state tournament is out of the question for the SSAC, then split the schools is half with approximately 45 schools in each division.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:08 pm

I think the team concept needs to become secondary. In actuality, it already is. There is maybe at best a two team race in AAA, a possible two team race in A and no chance in Hades for anybody in AA unless you have Village Pizza planned for a Saturday night feast come February 29th.

The state tournament is about individual performance first. How many "teams" have qualified 5 or less wrestlers?

Based on these hard facts to digest, the answer is to load up the regions with every single body that is on any wrestling team. There were 40+ girls at the girls' states. Who is afraid of letting them fill byes in these regions? The WSAZ had quite a few JVs seeded. Who is afraid of JVs?

Afraid some JVs will knock out wrestlers and hurt their team's team point standing? There is no team point standing.

There is maybe at best a two team race in AAA, a possible two team race in A and no chance in Hades for anybody in AA unless you have Village Pizza planned for a Saturday night feast come February 29th.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:53 pm

WP1992 wrote:99 schools really isn't that many, considering there are district tournaments in Ohio where nearly that many teams are represented. If having a 1 class state tournament is out of the question for the SSAC, then split the schools is half with approximately 45 schools in each division.

I'm not really just responding to your proposal, just citing it as a starting point.
First of all, it is almost never a AAA issue as to how many classes there are. In other words, it is not a fear of the AAA wrestler that they may not be a State Champion because a AA or A wrestler can beat them. They just take that in stride as part of the sport. It is almost invariably that of either a AA perspective wanting possibly more recognition on the occasions when they might be able to beat the AAA wrestler or more commonly that of a A school feeling that the playing field is uneven due the smaller pool of students to draw from for fielding a complete team. The A teams and some AA teams also feel they are at a disadvantage because of either funding or competition in the practice room. These are not necessarily incorrect thoughts. It's just that merely making it easier for an individual to win a state title by decreasing individual competition would seem to be a bad idea. The current set up, although maybe not absolutely ideal, would seem to give all teams a fair chance of being the team champion in their particul ar classification without diluting down the competition on the individual level.
Bearhugger tends to point out that the team competition is often a forgone conclusion. However, this is mainly due to South's dominance over the past several years and he tends to use that as a reason to somewhat ignore the importance of the team title. I know it is not his intention, but he is allowing this dominance to cause himself to make statements that could imply a diminished significance of the team title. I assure it is just as hard for South to win the team title year after year as it would be for any other team to achieve this success as a one time champion. As far as merely dividing the classifications in half, an important concept in wrestling is to consider wrestlers and not teams. Dividing things this way would result in the larger school having maybe 45 wrestlers vying for a state title, while there might only be half as many wrestlers per weight class in the smaller school classification with a significant drop off in the "quality" of competition along with "quantity" (mainly due to just the years of experience of the wrestlers and not their heart and determination). The upper classification schools really may not care, but do the smaller classification individuals really want to win a state title that has diminished meaning when t is created in such a fashion?

Return to “High School Wrestling”