Passing of a wrestling family friend.

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
dunbar76

Passing of a wrestling family friend.

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Last month, quietly, the wrestling community lost a member. Chuck Wright,Stonewall Jackson High School, HWT 1970 State Champion passed away. I mention this for he was my high school coach at Dunbar High School for 2 years. Nothing but a positive effect on my life and several others as coach. He also coached a State Champion, Ed Keiffer , Dunbar High School, HWT 1979. He coache and taught this unskilled wrestler to an amazing 16-20 record over those 2 years. without him I may have one a couple of matches. He left coaching when his dad needed help at his tire and battery shop in Charleston. Great man. Thanks for touching my life coach.

dunbar76

Re: Passing of a wrestling family friend.

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:03 am

Sorry my auto correct is more of a problem than it’s worth. “Coached” not coache and “won” not one.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:47 am

dunbar76 wrote:Sorry my auto correct is more of a problem than it’s worth. “Coached” not coache and “won” not one.

My condolences and sympathy to friends and family. This is the 50th anniversary of his State championship, where he was also named the MOW for the tournament. Maybe the tournament directors might see fit to offer a moment of silence for him and Matt Ashley (and any other recent fallen state champs) if someone mentioned it to them. One of my old college roommates was also a heavyweight wrestler at Stonewall Jackson High School a year or so after Charles (in fact another"Charles" named Charles Lee Vance). He always spoke highly of him and looked up to him and their coach, Roger Jefferson.

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 am

Chuck Wright was an outstanding wrestler, a true sportsman as a coach and truly deserves all the respect of the wrestling community!! Sorry to hear of his passing!!GK

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:56 am

it should be noted that we also lost a former State Champion from Herbert Hoover this week. CHAD WERHLE was a State Champion in 1999 at Herbert Hoover!! He was a hardnosed, tough, wrestler who also loved the sport!!!GK

Return to “High School Wrestling”