Question regarding certified coaches

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
WPChestBumper

Question regarding certified coaches

Postby WPChestBumper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:15 am

I noticed throughout the season that there were a number of teams with parents in the corners that did not have the required coaches certification completed. So my question is- is there any kind of WVSSAC rule that states that all coaches must have the completed requirements, or is it a county by county rule or policy? Is the head coach the only one required to have the certifications?
Thanks

secretstud96

Re: Question regarding certified coaches

Postby secretstud96 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 am

Anyone that sits in the corner in the coach role must be certified. Also, Anyone in the practice room giving instruction as well.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:51 am

WPChestBumper wrote:I noticed throughout the season that there were a number of teams with parents in the corners that did not have the required coaches certification completed. So my question is- is there any kind of WVSSAC rule that states that all coaches must have the completed requirements, or is it a county by county rule or policy? Is the head coach the only one required to have the certifications?
Thanks

How would you know if said coach(es) we’re certified or not?
Moderator WV Mat

WPChestBumper

Postby WPChestBumper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:17 am

Gator wrote:
WPChestBumper wrote:I noticed throughout the season that there were a number of teams with parents in the corners that did not have the required coaches certification completed. So my question is- is there any kind of WVSSAC rule that states that all coaches must have the completed requirements, or is it a county by county rule or policy? Is the head coach the only one required to have the certifications?
Thanks

How would you know if said coach(es) we’re certified or not?

The schools should allow more paid assistant positions. I know a couple of the dads that ended up having to coach bc their real coach was with another wrestler. On another occasion, one teams coach was late arriving to a tournament and some dads had to step in. On the weekend of girls states- one team had a coach there, another coach at MSAC, and a full lineup with a couple dads coaching at another tournament.

Also, you can search on the nfhs website by name and state for any coach that has ever completed the courses.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Because you didn't find someone listed on there doesn't mean they are not certified. I can assure you that I have taken all required courses every year for about 7 years now, plus I am just one course short of being an AIC, and I searched for myself and got a "No Results Found" response.

Gator

Postby Gator » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:43 am

coach_williams wrote:Because you didn't find someone listed on there doesn't mean they are not certified. I can assure you that I have taken all required courses every year for about 7 years now, plus I am just one course short of being an AIC, and I searched for myself and got a "No Results Found" response.

Guess that answers that question.

Congratulations to Jordan, coach, for another state title!
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:55 am

Gator wrote:
coach_williams wrote:Because you didn't find someone listed on there doesn't mean they are not certified. I can assure you that I have taken all required courses every year for about 7 years now, plus I am just one course short of being an AIC, and I searched for myself and got a "No Results Found" response.

Guess that answers that question.

Congratulations to Jordan, coach, for another state title!

Thank you sir! I am super proud of him and his work ethic.

Return to “High School Wrestling”