Who won awards at the state tournament?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Hilljack

Who won awards at the state tournament?

Postby Hilljack » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Who was the outstanding wrestlers and COY winners?

Gator

Re: Who won awards at the state tournament?

Postby Gator » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:23 pm

South’s coach Shaun Smith was COY and Braxton Amos was OW. That is AAA, not sure in AA/A.
Moderator WV Mat

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 pm

John Bonecutter was Coach of the year and the OW was Peyton Hall in AA and in A Noah Brown and Jeremy Tincher

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 pm

The "Nature Boy" Award goes to Ritchie County's 113 state champ Brady Layman.

The "Baddest Beauty" is not being awarded due to no girl wrestlers winning a match.

The "Least Amount of Time" on the mat award in AA/A goes to Peyton Hall. He was the only wrestler to pin his way through the tournament.

The award's committee is still sorting out the details on the other awards.

A great job to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 am

Bearhugger wrote:The "Least Amount of Time" on the mat award in AA/A goes to Peyton Hall. He was the only wrestler to pin his way through the tournament.

point: A tech fall technically counts as a fall, hence the name. None of Braxton's matches went into the third period. I think Braxton had 3 pins, 1 in the first, 1 in the second, the third I can't remember. With the tech fall in the second period, none of his matches went the full length making him eligible for the least amount of time award. But I think Peyton still wins based on total time.
counterpoint?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 am

brentsams wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:The "Least Amount of Time" on the mat award in AA/A goes to Peyton Hall. He was the only wrestler to pin his way through the tournament.

point: A tech fall technically counts as a fall, hence the name. None of Braxton's matches went into the third period. I think Braxton had 3 pins, 1 in the first, 1 in the second, the third I can't remember. With the tech fall in the second period, none of his matches went the full length making him eligible for the least amount of time award. But I think Peyton still wins based on total time.
counterpoint?

I haven't gone through the AAA brackets yet for this award. More to come.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 pm

The AAA LAT Award goes to Parkersburg's John Martin Best. 4 pins at a total of 5:14.

Heath

Postby Heath » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:00 am

Have they ever split the OW wrestler in a single class? For me it would of had to go to Frazier in AA but I could see splitting it with Hall.

Frazier just came along at the wrong time. The same time as Amos. Has anyone ever won four heavyweight titles before? Would he be looked at as the greatest if Amos wasn't doing his thing?

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 am

Heath wrote:Have they ever split the OW wrestler in a single class? For me it would of had to go to Frazier in AA but I could see splitting it with Hall.

Frazier just came along at the wrong time. The same time as Amos. Has anyone ever won four heavyweight titles before? Would he be looked at as the greatest if Amos wasn't doing his thing?

One could argue for him being the greatest HWT. He did win 4 titles so he is at or near the top of that list.

Beyond that, I'd place him as the 5th best WV senior this year, behind Amos, Hall, Roberts and Best. The 2020 class was loaded with top level talent. Frazier being one of them.

JoeGiovengo

Postby JoeGiovengo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Heath wrote:Have they ever split the OW wrestler in a single class? For me it would of had to go to Frazier in AA but I could see splitting it with Hall.

The answer is yes, in 1988 in AA-A, the MOW was split between Tom Giovengo of Bishop Donahue and Chris Blankenship.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 pm

I think this whole topic is based a lot on perspective. Things and times have changed a bit over the past several years in terms of how WV wrestling is viewed by some, and possibly not as much by others. Because a lot of the "top" wrestlers in the state now repeatedly "expose" their wrestling abilities on a national level, there is a different gauge to determine just how good they are. The key word here is repeatedly. The four wrestlers that are being placed by some ahead of Zach have done this. Not once, twice or three times. But dozens and dozens. I know Zach has stepped up and performed the three times or so he has met that level of competition. There just hasn't been that repeated, vigorous testing that the other four have endured and succeeded at. I know that wasn't his goal or interest, and that's okay. Has he accomplished something very, very impressive? No doubt. Is he himself impressive? No doubt? Could he have been even more successful in wrestling had he wished too? Obviously we'll never know, but I'm guessing no doubt. Have other heavyweights in the past faced more formidable competition in state? Not to take anything away from any current or recent heavyweight, but some would argue no doubt. None of this is meant to take anything whatsoever away from Zach. His accomplishments speak for themselves as to what they are. We just have to keep them in that perspective when trying to compare to the past and present. He obviously accomplished all of his wrestling goals and I'm sure he is happy and proud of that, and well he should be.

Now, with this being said, the OW award for this tournament should be based on the performance at this tournament, and not be based on past accomplishments. This a subjective decision and thus many people can have different opinions. The coaches that voted picked Peyton, but it could have been close with Zach in second place. We'll never know.

Heath

Postby Heath » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 am

guard0544 wrote:

One could argue for him being the greatest HWT. He did win 4 titles so he is at or near the top of that list.

Beyond that, I'd place him as the 5th best WV senior this year, behind Amos, Hall, Roberts and Best. The 2020 class was loaded with top level talent. Frazier being one of them.

I agree with everything you just said. Amos is the clear number one. It's easy to place Frazier fifth simply because he didn't wrestle in the off season like the other guys. The other three guys are great, and I love two are coming to Wvu, well three counting fb for Frazier, but I'm not going to hold it against him that he didn't wrestle year round.
To me the top two are easy. Amos and Frazier. I don't mean he's technically a better wrestler than the other three but he has four titles at HW. Only Hall out of that list has four and he's lost more in his career than Frazier. I guess I'm going on entire HS career achievement I guess if that makes any sense.

Speaking of great olineman coach Brown pulled a rabbit out of his hat and got Wyatt Milum to commit. FINALLY a top recruit staying home. Love it and With Noah about to win his first big12 title, hopefully, just love seeing the instate studs decide they want to represent this state for four to five more years athletically. Wish Best was doing the same but you can't really get mad at going with the airforce academy. Amos, I'll just keep my mouth shut lol.
Big question, does anyone really see Amos getting down to 197? His legs are tree trunks. If he can I'm sure he steps right in as a freshman. If not, while he could probably give Wisconsin's Hillger all he wanted in a wrestle off, he'd need a rs year to be a full HW. Hell he may need a rs year to get down to 197 as well.

I apologize I'm rambling but who has the bigger frame between Roberts and Hall? Both look like they could go 149 easy. Just trying to figure out where they go in relation to dowling and blumer.

Return to “High School Wrestling”