DQ at States

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gorilla

DQ at States

Postby Gorilla » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:38 am

I noticed Cabell Midland's 220 was disqualified from the tournament, he was ranked 2nd. Did anybody witness what happened, and if so was it justified?

brentsams

Re: DQ at States

Postby brentsams » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 am

It was a reaction swing that was a bad choice of a reflex after being shoved in the chest. I didn't think it was flagrant while watching from the 23rd row, but I was hoping to see a good match from 2 of the top 3 wrestlers in the weight and wanted the match to continue. But after watching the video, I don't know if it was flagrant or not.
And then there was scuttle on the street was the same strategy was being planned for the championship match. I don't know if that is true or just idle gossip.
Check the the 2:55 mark on the video and you can decide for yourself.
https://www.facebook.com/19260340176459 ... 656976606/

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:25 am

Watching the video:
2:50 escape by Midland
2:56 wwe style push by park
3:00 Midland steps forward & receives a stiff right jab to the body from park (heel of the hand, not a fist)
3:02 Midland responds with a right swipe to the back of park’s head which does not connect (also open handed)
Official calls flagrant misconduct on Midland.

From the official’s angle he saw the shove I don’t think he probably saw the jab.

The second guy always gets caught. True in wrestling, definitely true in football. It is hard to not fight back /retaliate but you have to swallow your pride and hope the official catches it the next time. Tough way to end your senior season.

Yes the rumor that park planned to implement the same strategy was buzzing. The official in the finals appeared to keep a close eye on things and dinged the park wrestler for an unsportsmanlike.

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:47 am

I wouldn't call that flagrant... wrestling is a physical sport. I know I snapped harder than that in my wrestling days, and received the same, often. It looked worse, because he missed.

I think it should've been a caution and a stern talking to for both wrestlers, warning them that the next time would be the last time, but the ref did what he felt was neccessary to prevent it from degrading into an all out brawl.
Seems like he was overwhelmed by the physicality of the match, felt he was losing control, and made a knee-jerk decision to keep the kids safe. I get that. Not disagreeing.

My question is, if that is flagrant, what about the cross face at 1:53 by the Park wrestler? The impact of that blow was far more severe, and it was let go. That was actually the start of it.

1:53 HARD cross face by Park (The most flagrant action, imo)
2:43 second Period begins
2:50 escape by Midland
2:56 Push by Park
3:00 right jab to the body by Park
3:02 Midland responds with a right swipe to the back of park’s head which does not connect (also open handed)

37 seconds of clock time between the cross face and the DQ. 3 offenses by Park, all let go, midland goes for a hard snap and misses...result= DQ Midland. Warning and de-escalation measures should have occured when the cross face landed.

rodneyjwv

Postby rodneyjwv » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 am

Unfortunately the wrong wrestler was DQ’d. The WP wrestler has shown a bad attitude in multiple matches I have watched this season. When he was at the South quad he was trying his best to start a fight with souths 220, Braxton did toss him about a good bit in that match, and PSHS lost a team point I believe. Maybe that’s what fueled the rumors.

Great season for WP I hope they keep it up, I enjoy good wrestling.
Rodney James
HS Wrestling Fan GO SOUTH!!

Bigcharlie

Postby Bigcharlie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:11 am

I watched the match and had the opportunity to review it several times from different angles. From my perspective the park wrestler was reacting off the midland wrestlers over aggression, parks wrestler was provoked several times, the push was a result of several non wrestling touches to the face. The midland wrestler should have been able to continue I believe that the DQ was a little much. I still believe the outcome would have been the same a win by the park wrestler. The park boy controlled the midland wrestler the entire time and had the midland wrestler on his back at one point in the match. I believe the midland boy had all he could handle and frustration gets the best of you when you feel defeat!

Bigcharlie

Postby Bigcharlie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:44 am

[quote="rodneyjwv"]Unfortunately the wrong wrestler was DQ’d. The WP wrestler has shown a bad attitude in multiple matches I have watched this season. When he was at the South quad he was trying his best to start a fight with souths 220, Braxton did toss him about a good bit in that match, and PSHS lost a team point I believe. Maybe that’s what fueled the rumors.

Great season for WP I hope they keep it up, I enjoy good wrestling.[/quote
Maybe you watched a different match at South because I saw it totally different

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:25 pm

As an Xcoach for many years and grandfather of the wrestler declared the winner of that match, I agree whole heartedly that should not have been a flagrant call, no harm done! Match should have been allowed to continue! As for the suggestion of a strategy being used, what strategy? If there were a strategy in the finals match against Braxton it was to survive! Braxton is the best wrestler that this state will ever had!

I feel badly for Dillon , especially since he is a senior and his last chance to compete in that tournament. I thought that Dillon showed great composure after the bad call, but I can assure you there was no intent by Charlie to cause that result. After watching the video again several times, most of the replies above were very opinionated and were a direct attempt to discredit the winner. Why place blame on the winner by a bad call. Unfortunate yes, strategy used none.

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 pm

soupbone wrote:As an Xcoach for many years and grandfather of the wrestler declared the winner of that match, I agree whole heartedly that should not have been a flagrant call, no harm done! Match should have been allowed to continue! As for the suggestion of a strategy being used, what strategy? If there were a strategy in the finals match against Braxton it was to survive! Braxton is the best wrestler that this state will ever had!

I feel badly for Dillon , especially since he is a senior and his last chance to compete in that tournament. I thought that Dillon showed great composure after the bad call, but I can assure you there was no intent by Charlie to cause that result. After watching the video again several times, most of the replies above were very opinionated and were a direct attempt to discredit the winner. Why place blame on the winner by a bad call. Unfortunate yes, strategy used none.

This is the correct answer

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:57 pm

soupbone wrote:As an Xcoach for many years and grandfather of the wrestler declared the winner of that match, I agree whole heartedly that should not have been a flagrant call, no harm done! Match should have been allowed to continue! As for the suggestion of a strategy being used, what strategy? If there were a strategy in the finals match against Braxton it was to survive! Braxton is the best wrestler that this state will ever had!

Since I was one of those who commented, and I can see my post may have been a bit biased, I want to clear the air. I dont think either wrestler was particularly out of line, or that any of the actions that took place were flagrant enough to warrant what happened. I merely meant that if SOMETHING was worthy of a CAUTION, it would have been the cross face. I'm sorry if I came off that way. Your grandson is clearly a very good wrestler, and I am sure he had no ill intent. Wrestling is meant to be a physical sport.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 pm

I have no dog in the discussion nor did I see any of it. However there is no warning for unnecessary roughness! It is a match point. Clearly no warning !

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Matofficial wrote:I have no dog in the discussion nor did I see any of it. However there is no warning for unnecessary roughness! It is a match point. Clearly no warning !

Yep, agreed.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:52 am

Sometimes its about one's vantage point and how things looked from it. The ref did not have the same view as the video. In the end, he has to call it as he sees it. I assume from his vantage point it appeared the wrestler swung and hit the other kid. I can see how it might appear that way given how the wrestler appeared to be reacting angrily and his arm swung twice. This is a good example of where video replay could have been utilized to get a second look at it...even from a different angle that might have provided the ref with a different perspective of what occurred. Without the option of video replay, the ref is left to, and should, make the call based on how it appeared to him.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Soupbone, being the classy guy that he is!
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”