Rule Changes: Injury Time

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Thetruth101

Rule Changes: Injury Time

Postby Thetruth101 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 am

I believe High School wrestling needs to adopt college rules when it comes to injury time. Non-injured wrestler will receive choice of top, bottom, or neutral after first injury time is called. Second injury time, non-injured wrestler is awarded 1 point. Third injury time, match is terminated, non-injured wrestler is declared the winner. If injury time occurs at end of period and non-injured wrestler has choice in next period, injured wrestler is called for stalling.

Too many times this year, I watched kids who were tired, request injury time just to catch their breath. When a wrestler takes injury time, it ruins the momentum of the non-injured wrestler. I believe this would deter wrestlers from taking injury time and make kids work harder in the room to ensure they are in good enough shape to compete. I know that there are times when kids are truly injured but there are also kids that are taking advantage of a rule to help keep them in matches. This is why the rule should be changed.

HiCoach

Re: Rule Changes: Injury Time

Postby HiCoach » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 am

I fully agree with you! Just like I tell my kids, there is a difference in being hurt and being injured.

DongerWrestle

Postby DongerWrestle » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 am

Amen!

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Thetruth101 wrote:I believe High School wrestling needs to adopt college rules when it comes to injury time. Non-injured wrestler will receive choice of top, bottom, or neutral after first injury time is called. Second injury time, non-injured wrestler is awarded 1 point. Third injury time, match is terminated, non-injured wrestler is declared the winner. If injury time occurs at end of period and non-injured wrestler has choice in next period, injured wrestler is called for stalling.

Too many times this year, I watched kids who were tired, request injury time just to catch their breath. When a wrestler takes injury time, it ruins the momentum of the non-injured wrestler. I believe this would deter wrestlers from taking injury time and make kids work harder in the room to ensure they are in good enough shape to compete. I know that there are times when kids are truly injured but there are also kids that are taking advantage of a rule to help keep them in matches. This is why the rule should be changed.

I know what you mean about kids using injury time to catch their breath. But I wonder if increasing the incentive to injure an opponent would result in more opponents being injured. Make them to need a few seconds 3 times in the match and you win...could be a strategy some wrestlers try against opponents they are unlikely to otherwise defeat.

The other thing to consider is there may be a wrestler who is legitimately injured..who then does not feel he can take a moment to allow medical professionals to come evaluate him because he knows he will lose a point, or possibly forfeit the match, if he stops for the injury.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:41 am

guard0544 wrote:
Thetruth101 wrote:I believe High School wrestling needs to adopt college rules when it comes to injury time. Non-injured wrestler will receive choice of top, bottom, or neutral after first injury time is called. Second injury time, non-injured wrestler is awarded 1 point. Third injury time, match is terminated, non-injured wrestler is declared the winner. If injury time occurs at end of period and non-injured wrestler has choice in next period, injured wrestler is called for stalling.

I know what you mean about kids using injury time to catch their breath. But I wonder if increasing the incentive to injure an opponent would result in more opponents being injured. Make them to need a few seconds 3 times in the match and you win...could be a strategy some wrestlers try against opponents they are unlikely to otherwise defeat.

The other thing to consider is there may be a wrestler who is legitimately injured..who then does not feel he can take a moment to allow medical professionals to come evaluate him because he knows he will lose a point, or possibly forfeit the match, if he stops for the injury.

Isn't physical pain a part of the sport? I understand that you are talking about malicious intent, but there are already deterrents and consequences for actions taken to intently injure another wrestler; penalty points are given, ejections are made, etc. Currently it seems there is a strategy for wrestlers to use and bend the injury time rule to fit their need instead of staying in the intention of the rule.

Also If you are legitimately injured, I don't think you really care to give up choice, or a point. Your mind tends to be worried about other things at that moment.

When it comes down to it, its about the coaching, but I think the OG poster is saying too many are taking the letter of the rule and bending it to their will instead of following the true intention and therefore the rule needs to be changed because it is allowing what some would call in a sense cheating, while I am sure others would call it "good coaching".

I believe that the sport doesn't need all these breaks and it definitely doesn't need timeouts. It should definitely adopt what the NCAA are using. I am not sure of the negatives. Is college wrestling facing the issues you bring up?

mscoach134

Postby mscoach134 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 am

guard0544 wrote:

Thats why i think the rule now is about as good as we will get it. The first injury time as the rule is now gives the wrestler taking it the benefit of the doubt about them being injured. The second injury time resulting in the other wrestlers choice takes away the possible abuse of injury time. You hate to see a wrestler actually be hurt multiple times and give choice to the other wrestler but that is a small con of what i believe to be a pretty solid rule in place and is absolutely necessary to prevent abuse of injury time.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 am

mscoach134 wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

Thats why i think the rule now is about as good as we will get it. The first injury time as the rule is now gives the wrestler taking it the benefit of the doubt about them being injured. The second injury time resulting in the other wrestlers choice takes away the possible abuse of injury time. You hate to see a wrestler actually be hurt multiple times and give choice to the other wrestler but that is a small con of what i believe to be a pretty solid rule in place and is absolutely necessary to prevent abuse of injury time.

Yes. I think the current rule is a good balance.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm

guard0544 wrote:
mscoach134 wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

I disagree. Watching matches in the last couple of years there has been far more, "water break injury timeouts" than legitimate injury time usage. I would say let's get someone to calculate the instances in the next season, but there is no way of being able to tell the difference unless people start confessing to it.

One could argue that's why we need to keep the rule the way it is and err on the side of caution. One could argue because we can't tell and this rule is easily and in the opinion of some, frequently manipulated, there should be more safeguards to deviate wrestlers from misusing the ability to call injury time, whether it be for a break, to get out of a bad position, etc.

Thetruth101

Postby Thetruth101 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:00 pm

guard0544 wrote:
mscoach134 wrote:
guard0544 wrote:

Wrestlers never take a second injury time bc they know they are giving non-injured wrestler choice. So if implement new rules and it does not have to be college exactly. Say first injury time choice. Second injury time, point. Third injury time, point and choice or just 2 points. You dont have to disqualify wrestler, but if you really think about it, if a wrestler has to take more than 2 injury times in a match should he even be wrestling?

Return to “High School Wrestling”