Wrestling moving to Spring

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
abettnman

Wrestling moving to Spring

Postby abettnman » Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 pm

https://twitter.com/ptoc134/status/1263 ... 98624?s=21

Looks like a good chance that College wrestling moving to the spring semester.

I really hope that high school does the same !!

Gator

Re: Wrestling moving to Spring

Postby Gator » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:20 pm

abettnman wrote:https://twitter.com/ptoc134/status/1263565210620698624?s=21

Looks like a good chance that College wrestling moving to the spring semester.

I really hope that high school does the same !!

With it being so difficult to put together a schedule for most schools, I’m sure hoping it stays the same. Even for Bill and Diane Archer to secure the civic center dates would create problems.
Moderator WV Mat

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 am

I dont think a move this year would be advised quickly, maybe give a year or two for teams and schools to realign everything with a known move. However, I understand the reasoning with weight cuts and everything (get rid of two major holidays that center around food, get rid of the break from school, etc.). Overall I think it could be accomplished, but it would need to be a multiple year procedure. I also dont know that I really like competing with baseball for student-athletes in the spring semester. Basketball doesnt typically steal kids that would really want to wrestle (at least in large numbers), but baseball is a different story. I think it would make some harder choices for the kids there.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Pros for Spring:
1. Easier to cut weight in warm weather.
2. No school/event cancellations due to cold, snowy weather.
3. Break after football.
4. Less colds, flu, snot, germs in the Spring.

Cons:
1. Conflicts with baseball and track.
2. Gyms could be hotter for fans.
3. BBQs are not quite as good while eating in a hot gym (unless the slaw is real cold).
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:59 pm

I’d rather have the problem of competing with baseball and other spring sports this year than not have the season at all. Let’s face it... we need a small miracle at this point to make it through winter with the regular flu and covid without the season being yanked from us... if it started at all.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 am

This year is its own beast with COVID-19. I agree that for this year we should be happy with anything we can get safely. My prior post was really only considering the move to a spring time frame permanently. I have seen that idea being kicked around at the college level for awhile (which I actually really like), but permanently for HS, middle school, etc. would be a little more challenging.

However, for this year I agree. Spring all the way if it still allows a wrestling season.

Return to “High School Wrestling”