South’s State Title run

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Truesouthfaninhunt

South’s State Title run

Postby Truesouthfaninhunt » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:13 pm

South has another great influx of young talent combined with a solid returning lineup. How many more in a row can this school win?
At least 4 or 5 more seem very likely.

Of course I have been wrong before...(once in 1980 as I recall).

KDunbar

Re: South’s State Title run

Postby KDunbar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I'm not claiming to know very much about it and I've never seen any of the kids wrestle, but in reading some of the youth scores it looks like North Parkersburg is revitalizing their youth program the last couple years. Not sure how quickly that might make its way to the high school level, if at all, and not taking anything away from those kids feeding into the South program. It might be what puts an end to the string of victories. Unless Wheeling Park does it before then. It's what makes it interesting anyway. Kids striving to keep getting better.

Heath

Postby Heath » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Truesouthfaninhunt wrote:South has another great influx of young talent combined with a solid returning lineup. How many more in a row can this school win?
At least 4 or 5 more seem very likely.

Of course I have been wrong before...(once in 1980 as I recall).

Not a fan of either team but park south can't even beat the best aa team lol.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:57 pm

I hold no personal love for Parkersburg South, but there is no shame in Point Pleasant being competative with and even beating them. Point Pleasant has one hell of a team right now, and from what I understand about kids coming up through their ranks is likely to continue to for awhile. Also of note is that Point Pleasant was far and away the best AA/A team winning the state title by 150+ points. So the attempted mockery of Parkersburg South for not being able to "even beat the best AA team" still leaves them as the second best team int he state by a large margin. Not that I am particularly happy that is the case, or that I dont appreciate some mockery of South, but lets mock them for something that is actually worthy of it.

Have, suprisingly, come to the defense of Parkersburgh South enough for my own liking I would also note here that with lossing some big hammers (Amos, Roberts) and other placers (Irizarry, Somerville) South may be open to some weakness. They certainly have some young talent, however, many of those young guns (106 Roberts, 113 Ford) have already ahcieved, and overachieved based on rankings, about as much success at the state tournament as possible. From this post it also seems like they will have some freshmen who could be very successful, but that is always hard to determine and bank on. Why I say they are open to some competition this year is Wheeling Park (and if there are other teams, I know less about them, and if you know about them add your evaluations here). Wheeling Park was the state runner up at AAA and return all but 2 starters (Big Shelek and Welker). In addition, the will have the return of Hunter Nixon (who was injured and replaced w/ state placer Adam Angel late in the year) who was a placer his freshamn year. One would imagine they would spread out weight classes to get the most of these to caliber wrestlers. Also, both Adam and Gabe Carmen have transfered to Wheeling Park for this year. Meaning they will get a strong freshamn to fill 106 if Velas moves up and a state placer to hold down a weight were they didnt even have a qualifer last year. If weights fall in the right place, and we have a season, Wheeling Park could certainly be competing for a state title this year.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Pottstd wrote:I hold no personal love for Parkersburg South, but there is no shame in Point Pleasant being competative with and even beating them. Point Pleasant has one hell of a team right now, and from what I understand about kids coming up through their ranks is likely to continue to for awhile. Also of note is that Point Pleasant was far and away the best AA/A team winning the state title by 150+ points. So the attempted mockery of Parkersburg South for not being able to "even beat the best AA team" still leaves them as the second best team int he state by a large margin. Not that I am particularly happy that is the case, or that I dont appreciate some mockery of South, but lets mock them for something that is actually worthy of it.

Have, suprisingly, come to the defense of Parkersburgh South enough for my own liking I would also note here that with lossing some big hammers (Amos, Roberts) and other placers (Irizarry, Somerville) South may be open to some weakness. They certainly have some young talent, however, many of those young guns (106 Roberts, 113 Ford) have already ahcieved, and overachieved based on rankings, about as much success at the state tournament as possible. From this post it also seems like they will have some freshmen who could be very successful, but that is always hard to determine and bank on. Why I say they are open to some competition this year is Wheeling Park (and if there are other teams, I know less about them, and if you know about them add your evaluations here). Wheeling Park was the state runner up at AAA and return all but 2 starters (Big Shelek and Welker). In addition, the will have the return of Hunter Nixon (who was injured and replaced w/ state placer Adam Angel late in the year) who was a placer his freshamn year. One would imagine they would spread out weight classes to get the most of these to caliber wrestlers. Also, both Adam and Gabe Carmen have transfered to Wheeling Park for this year. Meaning they will get a strong freshamn to fill 106 if Velas moves up and a state placer to hold down a weight were they didnt even have a qualifer last year. If weights fall in the right place, and we have a season, Wheeling Park could certainly be competing for a state title this year.

I understand and concur with what you are saying above. Like you, I too thought about responding that this was more of a slap in the face for what Point Pleasant is accomplishing than a slight of South. Since South is out on the national stage enough, we always know the actual caliber of their teams. Since Heath has stated (I believe) that he is from the northern panhandle, I thought of comparing this to slighting the accomplishments of Oak Glen during their 13 AA state title runs by observing that they lost at the OVAC tournament all but about 3 or 4 times during that run to teams of lower caliber than the current Point Pleasant team (you see how that slights the other teams being referred to). However, I just presumed that Heath was merely tired of hearing people brag on South more than anything else. I am a South fan, but more a fan of wrestling itself, and I get a little tired of it too. I live in Wheeling and know and follow most of the kids you are referring to and I have said for the past couple years that Wheeling Park has the makings of a team capable of a challenge for the title at the OVAC and State. And that's what makes it fun to watch and follow. Adding the Carmens to the team will no doubt make them even tougher.

Gator

Postby Gator » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 am

Heath likes to get his digs in on South at every opportunity. Must be some jealousy there somewhere.

As for Point beating South, that was no upset. Point is well coached and has several very talented wrestlers. Upsets me that we won’t get to see those kids and some of the South kids compete in the Ironman this year.

We may see another Point/South battle this year and I expect it will close again and fun to watch. Let’s just pray we have a season, but with football competing, it’s very possible.
Moderator WV Mat

Return to “High School Wrestling”