Wrestling season

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
dunbar76

Wrestling season

Postby dunbar76 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Gov. Justice has floated the idea of students not coming back to school after Thanksgiving. How will this effect winter sports including wrestling? I'm concerned it will be gone for the season.

matcoach90

Re: Wrestling season

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:52 am

That's just one more reason I was hoping for a move to spring altogether. However, I realize the argument that it competes with spring sports and some kids would have to make a choice. I just don't know how it can be pulled off in between covid and the regular flu season. On another note... I do find it ridiculous and hypocritical that all through our football season, only family members can attend games due to covid... but now that our playoff run begins and the WVSSAC gets a take, all of a sudden they can sell tickets and allow members of the general public in the games. I call BS! And I don't care who it offends. Both locally and nationally, it seems covid is only as bad or dangerous as someone else's agenda.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:27 pm

I dont disagree with that assessment. It does appear, across the board, it is only as concerning as what someone in charge wants to happen. With the recent news that all winter sports are delayed until at least Jan. 11, 2021. However, football is still safe to complete its season until early December when the Super 6 occurs. If its safe enough for one sport why not another?

I dont disagree with being cautious and safe, but at least be consistent.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:39 pm

Wrestling is taking a big hit and I would not be surprised come January 11th, they say 'NO WRESTLING"!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps lobbying for it to take place in the Spring is a good idea. It is an easy enough sport to have anytime of the year.

As for kids having to make a choice..............................GIVE THEM A CHOICE TO MAKE!!!!! Right now the wrestlers have nothing! The fans have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WV has two kids going for their 4th state title this season. A few are going for their third and if they win, they will be going for their fourth in 2022.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:10 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Wrestling is taking a big hit and I would not be surprised come January 11th, they say 'NO WRESTLING"!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps lobbying for it to take place in the Spring is a good idea. It is an easy enough sport to have anytime of the year.

As for kids having to make a choice..............................GIVE THEM A CHOICE TO MAKE!!!!! Right now the wrestlers have nothing! The fans have nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WV has two kids going for their 4th state title this season. A few are going for their third and if they win, they will be going for their fourth in 2022.

This has been my suggestion since this mess began... I knew there would be no way we’d be allowed to get a wrestling season in with the flu and covid. It needs moved to spring. Vaccines are coming and the flu season will be gone by then. Letting kids make a choice is better than having no choice at all. This is my son’s last chance at a state title. I feel so bad for him.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:14 pm

I say go club wrestling for now. That way even if the SSAC says no, it can still happen.

mgr1980

Postby mgr1980 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:48 pm

So if a team is ineligible to play a football playoff game due to covid regulations members from the ineligible team can still buy tickets and go watch another game thats being played??

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:33 pm

mgr1980 wrote:So if a team is ineligible to play a football playoff game due to covid regulations members from the ineligible team can still buy tickets and go watch another game thats being played??

OUTSTANDING QUESTION. I look forward to the clarification on this one.

mscoach25

Postby mscoach25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 pm

mike.carman wrote:I say go club wrestling for now. That way even if the SSAC says no, it can still happen.

I thought Big Jim shut that down as well when he postponed winter sports. Said no winter sports, biddy league, travel teams, etc.

mscoach25

Postby mscoach25 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mgr1980 wrote:So if a team is ineligible to play a football playoff game due to covid regulations members from the ineligible team can still buy tickets and go watch another game thats being played??

To answer your question, yes they can. I know to happened in volleyball state tournament. There were girls there from teams that had to forfeit because of the color map. Also, there was football players from schools that were forced to forfeit at other playoff games this past weekend.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:30 pm

mscoach25 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

To answer your question, yes they can. I know to happened in volleyball state tournament. There were girls there from teams that had to forfeit because of the color map. Also, there was football players from schools that were forced to forfeit at other playoff games this past weekend.

Thank you for your input. Something doesn't sound right here. Can't play due to county risk but can come and watch, thus expose everybody. This is as big of a joke as what we had down here on the North Carolina/South Carolina border. Planet Fitness opened back up in SC in June. Planet Fitness in NC didn't open back up until September. One SC location was open while a NC location, 8 miles away, stay closed for another 3 months.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:25 am

mscoach25 wrote:
mike.carman wrote:I say go club wrestling for now. That way even if the SSAC says no, it can still happen.

I thought Big Jim shut that down as well when he postponed winter sports. Said no winter sports, biddy league, travel teams, etc.

Big Jim has put out a mandate that is unenforceable. He cannot dictate to someone what they can and can't do on PRIVATE property. Just an observation. One thing I have learned about the wrestling community is that they are incredibly resourceful when backed into a corner.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Just wondering, it's been a long time since I've been involved in the nuts and bolts of a season. The SSAC in the past has frowned on club wrestling. If they still do this , could the SSAC be more accepting this year? I'd push for some kind of a statement/directions.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:10 am

I still find it relatively true that the SSAC frowns on club wrestling, particularly in competition season (even though we arent in competition season with the push back to Jan., if at all). However, its also a fairly open secret the club wrestling still happens. The idea (at least from what I can tell) is that it would create an unfair advantage for those kids/teams that had various club access over those who do not. However, there is really never an even playing field so arbitrary rules regarding fairness are rather pointless (in my opinion). Its "not fair" that there can be a 1000+ enrollment difference in AAA schools, its "unfair" that some schools have access to college/university training facilities during offseasons,its "unfair" that some wrestling teams have significantly bigger budgets than others. However, this to an extent is a result of investment in the program by those surrounding it. Its never going to be a level playing field and I dont have a problem with that.

All of that to say I dont have a problem with club wrestling either (in season, out of season, whenever). If the people in and around the program are willing to put in the work then why hold the wrestlers back for arbitrary fairness concerns. I like the idea of club wrestling. If you want to be safe just label and conduct it as a freestyle/greco club and there should be no conflict. The SSAC has long considered freestyle/greco "different sports" from folkstyle wrestling that bypassed alot of the rules regarding coach involvement, etc. Run a freestyle/greco club season to start and if we get a season starting in Jan. the kids will be in decent shape, have some of the rust knocked off, and based on historical interpretation and behaviors by the SSAC no rules will have even had their boundaries push. Then transition into the season. If the seasons then gets cancelled completely you can continue however you want and will still have an established practice routine, etc.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:00 pm

If there in no practice until after Janurary, wrestlers should be free to participate wherever they can during that time with no SSAC penality. BUT , I'd sure get something official in writing from the SSSAC. Historically, other sports have been able to participate in private sporting events when their sport is out of season. Basketball, baseball, running , swimming all come to mind.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am

dunbar76 wrote:If there in no practice until after Janurary, wrestlers should be free to participate wherever they can during that time with no SSAC penality. BUT , I'd sure get something official in writing from the SSSAC. Historically, other sports have been able to participate in private sporting events when their sport is out of season. Basketball, baseball, running , swimming all come to mind.

They can compete even after practices start as long as they abide by the following.
Pay close attention to the exempted sports.
So since practices can't start until Jan 11, any competition until then is fair game.

§127-2-10. Non-school Participation.
10.1. During the academic year and while a member of a school team, a student shall neither partici- pate, which includes, but is not limited to, fund-raising activities, team picture, tryouts, etc., on any formally organized non-school team in the same sport, nor shall the student compete as an individual unattached in non-school formally organized competition in the same sport. The following sports are exempted from the provisions of this rule: cross country, golf, swimming, tennis, track, and wrestling, provided that: (Revised 2011-12)
10.1.a. participation is approved by the student’s principal; and
10.1.b. the student misses no school-sponsored athletic contest involving a team in that sport.
10.2. A student may participate as a member of a national team (and the actual, direct tryouts thereof) which is defined as:
10.2.a. one selected by the national governing body of the sport;
10.2.b. while representing the National Federation in an International Schoolsport Federation;
10.2.c. as a representative of the United States in recognized national or international events; or
10.2.d. a qualifier for the West Virginia Golf Association’s Amateur Championship or the United States Golf Association’s United States Amateur Championship.
10.3. A student who has participated on a non-school team or as an individual unattached in nonschool formally organized competition after the beginning practice date of that sport will be ineligible for participa- tion on that school team for that season in that particular sport except as provided by §127210.1 and §127- 2-10.2.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification,

Return to “High School Wrestling”