Neighboring States

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
baxter841

Neighboring States

Postby baxter841 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 am

Are our border states having wrestling? If so I think many of us are about to leave. No way wrestling should get axed. Masks, no fans, whatever, but do not cancel it!!!

Pottstd

Re: Neighboring States

Postby Pottstd » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:22 pm

As far as I know, Ohio is still proceeding with winter sports. PA is as well, but it is severly restricted to in state/conference play. I'm not sure about MD, VA, or KY as they are all multiple hours away from where I live. I'm certainly not pleased with how this all went down. It seems to have been an abrupt reaction at random, since it had not been discussed or talked about previous to last weeks press conference. However, I understand the concern with case numbers surging.

We technically are not having a cancelled season, just a delayed season, much like college is looking at right now. I know this date is technically arbitrary right now, but hopefully further details are forthcoming regarding an actual plan, extension fo the season, etc.

Obviously, everyone must do what they think is best, but leaving to another state certainly presents its own hurdles with eligability (not to mention the actual act of moving sucks). But there are other, good options as well. For instance, we are looking to transition into some club work with wrestlers who are interested. There are still plenty of open competitions occuring that wrestlers could attend. We should certainly not simply give up on the season, but explore all options.

Diamond

Postby Diamond » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 pm

I will concede that Covid is a threat to some. No more than icy roads, peanut butter or being caught with another woman. We have been told in word and through mandate that MASKS WORK TO PREVENT THE SPREAD! If this is true,then please tell me how it’s dangerous to be in a gymnasium but not a mall? I ran into a PA college wrestler at the mall Sunday and he said their rankings were pulled off the list and they do not have a schedule yet. That’s all he’s been told. The writing on the wall says it all unfortunately. It’s not bad enough that it looks like they cancelled their season but they are leaving them and their families wondering. I gotta get plane tickets for a few of my sons matches. The sooner I get them the cheaper they are but we don’t know for sure if his season will be guaranteed. I guess we will know whenever the haughty feel it’s time to inform the pawns. Sorry to rant! Merry Christmas everyone!!!

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:35 am

https://www.wlwt.com/article/ohsaa-coronavirus-rules-students-can-wrestle-but-cant-shake-hands/34874133#
I could not find any results from this season for Ohio
Kentucky started practice on 12/15 and is set to start matches on 1/4
Pennsylvania is in a holding pattern similar to WV
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/carroll/sports/high-school/cc-sp-first-day-winter-practice-121520-20201216-2vdfqvstevfepbjvvblxag7fom-story.html
This is all I could find on Maryland, from reading the story they will have a short local season with no regionals or states
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/July/27/Virginia-high-school-wrestling-season-to-start-late-and-shortened
it sounds like Virginia is doing something similar to Maryland

SMC

Postby SMC » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:52 am

Ohio has been wrestling matches for the better part of 2 1/2 weeks.

WVU

Postby WVU » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 am

Several OVAC wrestling results for OH schools can be found here: http://www.ovaec.org/

Return to “High School Wrestling”