Covid Map - Post Football Season

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Covid Map - Post Football Season

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Is the Covid map being maintained and communicated as before now that football season is over?

OR.............since winter sports have been canned until January 11th (I might be wrong on this date), has the map been canned also?

I think it would be interesting to see how the map changes between now and January 11.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach106

Re: Covid Map - Post Football Season

Postby mscoach106 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Is the Covid map being maintained and communicated as before now that football season is over?

OR.............since winter sports have been canned until January 11th (I might be wrong on this date), has the map been canned also?

I think it would be interesting to see how the map changes between now and January 11.

Still the same..
the daily version can be viewed here updated around 10 every day
https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

the weekly is here
update saturday at 5
https://wvde.us/school-reentry-metrics-protocols/

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:24 pm

As of 12/10/2020 from the WVDE state map 25 counties out of 55 could compete with green, yellow or gold color designations.
The daily map continues to deteriorate. If the numbers continue, next Saturdays map will only have 16 out of 55 who would be able to compete. If the trends continue into mid January it looks like the winter sports will be pointless. There is no way brackets can or will be filled for state tourneys in either basketball or wrestling. Will JJ and Bernie Dolan/Wayne Ryan just say it is useless to try and continue with the color maps in place?

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Need to move wrestling to spring. Better to give the kids a choice of what sport to choose than no choice at all.

aacoach141

Postby aacoach141 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:38 pm

matcoach90 wrote:Need to move wrestling to spring. Better to give the kids a choice of what sport to choose than no choice at all.

This is the solution. It is right here. The vaccine is on the way, buy time for people to get it and for it work. This guy (lady?) gets it. No need for it be complicated. Just move wrestling and basketball to the spring. Students then decide to play 1 of 3 sports (baseball/softball, wrestling, or basketball) Sucks for kids who want to do both but this year has taught everyone about sacrifice and sometimes life is hard. Let's do it SSAC. There have been many mistakes and this is one way to get back on the right track.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 am

Hopefully they learned a lesson from the fall sports,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I wouldn't count on it

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:56 am

aacoach141 wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:Need to move wrestling to spring. Better to give the kids a choice of what sport to choose than no choice at all.

This is the solution. It is right here. The vaccine is on the way, buy time for people to get it and for it work. This guy (lady?) gets it. No need for it be complicated. Just move wrestling and basketball to the spring. Students then decide to play 1 of 3 sports (baseball/softball, wrestling, or basketball) Sucks for kids who want to do both but this year has taught everyone about sacrifice and sometimes life is hard. Let's do it SSAC. There have been many mistakes and this is one way to get back on the right track.

Not disagreeing with anything, just pointing out that you omitted 2 other sports; track and swimming.

aacoach141

Postby aacoach141 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:03 am

KDunbar wrote:
aacoach141 wrote:

Not disagreeing with anything, just pointing out that you omitted 2 other sports; track and swimming.

You are correct, I completely forgotten about those two. My mistake. My point remains the same though. Just need to buy time.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:37 pm

On this mornings daily map only 14 counties out of 55 would be eligible to compete. Let's hope things improve quickly with the vaccine. It is starting to look like postponing until spring is the only viable option for having a wrestling season this year.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:22 am

mscoach4 wrote:On this mornings daily map only 14 counties out of 55 would be eligible to compete. Let's hope things improve quickly with the vaccine. It is starting to look like postponing until spring is the only viable option for having a wrestling season this year.

I wish they'd just go ahead and plan for spring... that way all the coaches and wrestlers won't be in limbo... and the powers that be can start figuring out how it would play out in the spring, along with site venues for the state tournament if Huntington is not available.

WP1992

Postby WP1992 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Moving winter sports to spring sounds good in theory, but it will adversely effect many multi sport athletes who will have to chose. During your senior season having to chose really isn't the best case scenario.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm

WP1992 wrote:Moving winter sports to spring sounds good in theory, but it will adversely effect many multi sport athletes who will have to chose. During your senior season having to chose really isn't the best case scenario.

As I said once before... better to give a kid a choice, than none at all. So those who just wrestle and play football, or just wrestle, get left out in the cold? Yeah, that makes sense. Having a choice is better than none at all. I'm sure many wrestlers, especially seniors, would disagree with you.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:55 pm

I don't mean to harp but on today's wvde covid map only 8 out of 55 counties could compete during the upcoming week.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:54 am

mscoach4 wrote:I don't mean to harp but on today's wvde covid map only 8 out of 55 counties could compete during the upcoming week.

I don't think you are harping. this is important information we all need to understand. on the weekly map 8 counties would be in the green-gold categories. However Lewis and Calhoun are voluntarily in the red meaning only 6 counties could participate in winter sports next week. Not all of those 6 counties have wrestling programs.

Elkins, Roane and Riverview would be the only schools participating in wrestling this week. Something needs to change. we need to get healthy quickly or the season needs to move.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:50 pm

mscoach106 wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:I don't mean to harp but on today's wvde covid map only 8 out of 55 counties could compete during the upcoming week.

I don't think you are harping. this is important information we all need to understand. on the weekly map 8 counties would be in the green-gold categories. However Lewis and Calhoun are voluntarily in the red meaning only 6 counties could participate in winter sports next week. Not all of those 6 counties have wrestling programs.

Elkins, Roane and Riverview would be the only schools participating in wrestling this week. Something needs to change. we need to get healthy quickly or the season needs to move.

I just don't see any other option but to move the season. Allow the kids a choice of what sport they want to participate in. As it looks now, and the foreseeable future... there's just no way a wrestling season will get off the ground in the winter. Now, will the WVSSAC make the right decision by giving the wrestlers a choice and a fighting chance?

Return to “High School Wrestling”