We having a season or not?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
baxter841

We having a season or not?

Postby baxter841 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:54 am

I haven't heard anything. Are we having a season? What is everyone's thoughts?

aacoach15

Re: We having a season or not?

Postby aacoach15 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:15 pm

I’m really hoping we can start on the 11th. Unfortunately if we are still going by the map only 15 counties would be allowed to practice today. Of that 15 I think 13 are in orange which limits what they can do. I don't think they can push it back again. I hate to say it but it seems like it’s either start the season or cancel it.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Start date is still set for January 11, 2020, per Gov. Justice's Oct. announcement, so season is still technically starting in two weeks from now. But as aacoach15 noted it will all be based on Covid map so I would assume most counties/schools wont be able to even start practice given the current situations.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Not fair to kids as the situation currently stands. I could easily see an increase in injuries too. Also, coaches will be pulling out their hair!! Forget it this year. Either go all out or forget it for the year and all out is not a option. I'm saddened by whatever happens to this season.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:18 pm

As of today there are 40 counties in red on the wvdhhr covid map, 13 counties are orange, so 53 out of 55 counties could not compete if practice started today. Calhoun is green and the only county without restrictions, Tucker is gold and could only compete within county. If you want to go look at the map go to this page https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx halfway down that page is a horizontal bar, click on "county alert system" which is on that bar.
The WVDE did not publish a weekly map this week because there was no scheduled school anyway but the state map for this Saturday will look very much like the dhhr map I linked above.
At this point there will be no wrestling season unless 1. the state decides on an alternate method for whether schools will be open(which I don't think is out of the question) or 2. winter sports are delayed until spring(I doubt that will happen, more likely cancelled totally)
The fly in the ointment may be this new strain of mutated coronavirus,,,,
I have already recovered from the original virus,,, now I can catch it all over again,,, uggghhh

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:33 am

12/30/2020 update on this morning's map. 41 counties are red, 13 are orange with 1 green. Tucker went orange over night so that leaves only Calhoun as the only county who could start practice. There was hope that things would start improving but the numbers only continue to get worse.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Looks like wrestling will be moved basically into the spring ... March 1, 2021!
https://wvmetronews.com/2020/12/30/governor-justice-delays-high-school-winter-sports-season-again/

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Wrestling should now be cancelled with the winter sport March 1 start date.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm

So it remains unclear what all of this means for sports in his announcement. He announced a return to 5 day in person class no matter what the state covid map says. Winter athletics start March 1st but he did not say if the map color will dictate competition in counties. I guess we will find out between now and then.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Wrestling should begin March 1st and continue through June.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:42 pm

Bearhugger wrote:Wrestling should begin March 1st and continue through June.

Should but apparently Big Jim sees it as a compacted season ending before 5/1,,, maybe they will eliminate the week off after regionals

Gator

Postby Gator » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:00 pm

This will mess up all hotel reservations, coach’s schedules and just about everything for this season.

Maybe instead of changing dates, we need to change Governors?
Moderator WV Mat

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:23 am

It's no different than how the federal government is handling this entire thing... mandate closings and restrictions while politicians and big business continue to operate in disregard for those same mandates. And they wonder why people question the seriousness of covid 19 for students and those without other health complications. The numbers don't lie... except when you die in a vehicle accident or other nonrelated event and get chalked up as another covid victim for numbers and cash.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm

I really wish this forum had a like button for posts

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm

matcoach90 wrote:

It's no different than how the federal government is handling this entire thing... mandate closings and restrictions while politicians and big business continue to operate in disregard for those same mandates. And they wonder why people question the seriousness of covid 19 for students and those without other health complications. The numbers don't lie... except when you die in a vehicle accident or other nonrelated event and get chalked up as another covid victim for numbers and cash.

Nobody is inflating covid victims. Who gets cash for inflating covid numbers? I knew a few who have died from covid and their families would not appreciate these conspiracy theories. The families were unable to see their loved one while he or she died. Sounds like something political anarchists are spewing. I prefer not to bring politics into a wrestling forum but when its there I sometimes feel the need to correct these crazy conspiracies.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

Nobody is inflating covid victims. Who gets cash for inflating covid numbers? I knew a few who have died from covid and their families would not appreciate these conspiracy theories. The families were unable to see their loved one while he or she died. Sounds like something political anarchists are spewing. I prefer not to bring politics into a wrestling forum but when its there I sometimes feel the need to correct these crazy conspiracies.

Then you need to do a little research. There have been factual reports of other forms of death being labeled as primarily covid related. It's happened, it's a fact. We aren't saying covid doesn't exist, but if you think it's not being used for political and financial agendas in some areas, then you are sadly mistaken. Example... restaurants and bars closed down in some areas, yet you can fly in a packed plane all over the United States. You can cram yourself along with hundreds of others in a Walmart etc, etc... Has nothing to do with conspiracies. I have friends in the medical field, including doctors and nurses, who have told me hospitals and other medical facilities get more funding based on covid deaths. You can believe it, or don't believe it... but facts are facts. Yes, politics should stay off this board... however, politics does play a part in this now, and you don't have to look any further than this past football season, the WVSSAC and the Justice Administration. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

That being said, hopefully we can get a wrestling season in for the spring with the vaccines rolling out and some procedures in place. The kids deserve it.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 pm

I have fact checked online to see if hospitals get paid more if it is a covid diagnosis and you can check for yourself. Here is one small snipet from one of those web sites.
"Of that second-round money, HHS reported 63 California hospitals received $50,000 for each eligible coronavirus patient they admitted between Jan. 1 and June 10, 2020. That's a combined total of more than $607 million."
I am in no way saying the virus is not real but hospitals do receive 20% more for each covid patient from medicare through the cares act.
Do with that information what you will.

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 am

matcoach90 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It would help to not have a RINO in the Governors office, or at least have a state legislature willing to take action to curb the tinpot dictatorship he is running. What the heck are they up to? Nothing.
It's all a facade. Just put your heads down and comply... or else.

-G

SMC

Postby SMC » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Justdeserts wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. It would help to not have a RINO in the Governors office, or at least have a state legislature willing to take action to curb the tinpot dictatorship he is running. What the heck are they up to? Nothing.

-G

:roll: Maybe we need governor like they have in PA, KY and VA. Those kids are currently wrestling.

Justdeserts

Postby Justdeserts » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:31 am

SMC wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:

-G

:roll: Maybe we need governor like they have in PA, KY and VA. Those kids are currently wrestling.

I live in Northern VA. Outside of the DC metro, it isn't as bad. Everyone isn't buying the charade. Hit the I-95 corridor, and you see the Governors hand at work. Schools are closed, fines for walking down the street without your hijab, storefronts empty. Out of business signs everywhere.

Justice is an imbicile, and a Democrat masquerading as a conservative. Call around and ask if guests at the Greenbrier wear masks, if the shops are closed, or if the "adventure zone" (daycare), is closed when the color map says so. Nope. The answer is no.

It's a caste system, and you're a commoner. Now go watch the NFL and absorb some "social justice" propaganda. Take a "stimulus check" while inflation rises and the value of your future fiat wages degrades, ensuring that you never attain economic freedom.

Keep buying in, and roll your eyes along the way.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Can guys now compete against the girl’s teams?

Asking for a friend.
Moderator WV Mat

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:42 pm

So as teams are ready to get started only 6 counties remain red on todays map. It does indeed look like we will have a season. Hopefully it turns out a little better than the fall seasons did.

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Justdeserts wrote:
SMC wrote:
Justdeserts wrote:

-G

I live in Northern VA. Outside of the DC metro, it isn't as bad. Everyone isn't buying the charade. Hit the I-95 corridor, and you see the Governors hand at work. Schools are closed, fines for walking down the street without your hijab, storefronts empty. Out of business signs everywhere.

Justice is an imbicile, and a Democrat masquerading as a conservative. Call around and ask if guests at the Greenbrier wear masks, if the shops are closed, or if the "adventure zone" (daycare), is closed when the color map says so. Nope. The answer is no.

It's a caste system, and you're a commoner. Now go watch the NFL and absorb some "social justice" propaganda. Take a "stimulus check" while inflation rises and the value of your future fiat wages degrades, ensuring that you never attain economic freedom.

Keep buying in, and roll your eyes along the way.

What in the world does rambling about Democrats and making comment about a hijab have to do with wrestling?? Were you in DC on January 6th??

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:23 am

Berkley, Hampshire and Hardy are the only 3 counties left as red on the latest map. None of those 3 are even close to the numbers needed to get to orange. So Martinsburg, Hedgesville, Spring Mills, Hampshire, East Hardy and Moorefield high schools will be getting a late start on wrestling season. Hopefully the numbers come down so they can get started sooner rather than later. (if at all) Are they allowed to do conditioning or anything on red?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:47 pm

Well Berkley dropped from 30 sumthin yesterday to under 7 in one day and Wayne jumped up to 38.07 in one day also. So maybe everyone will be ok by Monday. Let's hope so anyway

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Anyone interested can check out the map here https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:21 am

Lloyd, you still wearing your red hoodie to matches this season?
Moderator WV Mat

Lloyd Christmas

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:18 am

Gator wrote:Lloyd, you still wearing your red hoodie to matches this season?

Why do you ask?? I merely asked what rambling about Democrats and making a prejudice comment about a hijab have to do with wrestling?? Do you have an answer for any of that?? Politics has no place in a wrestling forum Mr. Moderator.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm

The good news is that the color map does not seem like it is going to be a problem. Now if schools can avoid covid quarantines we should be set for a decent season. To be honest, a month ago I had my doubts.

Return to “High School Wrestling”