WVSSAC Updates

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
aacoach62

WVSSAC Updates

Postby aacoach62 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Below are the updates to our Wrestling season modifications.

Changes to 2021 Wrestling Modifications

There is no longer a limit on the number of weigh-ins per week, and there are no longer two calendar days required between weigh-ins.
All Regionals are to be held as one-day events. West Virginia has received NFHS approval to allow a wrestler to participate in six matches in one day, if necessary, in the Regionals only.

mscoach4

Re: WVSSAC Updates

Postby mscoach4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Will there be any regional brackets full enough to require a kid to go 6 actual matches? I don't see that happening but I am not totally familiar with the A/AA side of things

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:18 am

If they are only taking the top 2 placers at regionals to the state, are they going to wrestle for the true 2nd place if the 2nd place finisher did not defeat the 3rd place finisher earlier in the brackets? This would help remove any issue with the seeding of the top 4.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:19 am

mscoach4 wrote:Will there be any regional brackets full enough to require a kid to go 6 actual matches? I don't see that happening but I am not totally familiar with the A/AA side of things

For sure. 10 is the magic number. At 10 -athletes in a bracket the two who win in the round of 16 then lose the quarterfinals match will have 6 matches if they place top 6.

14-17teams in each of the AA/A regions. So it is likely for a bracket to have enough for the potential for a 6th match.

mscoach90

Postby mscoach90 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 am

I have not heard anything about only two out of regionals? I hope this is not true.

mscoach106

Postby mscoach106 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 am

KDunbar wrote:If they are only taking the top 2 placers at regionals to the state, are they going to wrestle for the true 2nd place if the 2nd place finisher did not defeat the 3rd place finisher earlier in the brackets? This would help remove any issue with the seeding of the top 4.

mscoach90 wrote:I have not heard anything about only two out of regionals? I hope this is not true.

yeah let's kill this rumor right now. The info on the state tournament schedule is a 2 day 16 athlete bracket. no reason to think that there would be only 2 going from each region with 16 athlete brackets.

aacoach30

Postby aacoach30 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm

Top 4 out of each Region go to State. Same as it has been.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:48 am

mscoach106 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:If they are only taking the top 2 placers at regionals to the state, are they going to wrestle for the true 2nd place if the 2nd place finisher did not defeat the 3rd place finisher earlier in the brackets? This would help remove any issue with the seeding of the top 4.

mscoach90 wrote:I have not heard anything about only two out of regionals? I hope this is not true.

yeah let's kill this rumor right now. The info on the state tournament schedule is a 2 day 16 athlete bracket. no reason to think that there would be only 2 going from each region with 16 athlete brackets.

My mistake then. Sorry. I thought it was going to be limited to just 8 wrestlers per weight class with first day the lower 7 weights and upper 7 weights the second day. Not starting any rumors at all, just hadn't heard anything had been changed. I thought this was how the WSAZ was also going to be run, with just 8 teams attending.
Since I'm not up to date on changes, has the in-house family only of wrestlers competing being the only ones allowed in attendance been changed also? Saw the indication that attendance might be increased but did not see any specifics mentioned.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:56 am

I had looked at the State tournament info of the front page which had not been updated. Just found the new state tournament schedule on the What's New page. Again my question is whether any other 2 day tournaments are now allowed, or just the State Tournament and thus if the WSAZ is remaining in the format that I erroneously thought the State tournament was restricted to.

Wm0mof3

Postby Wm0mof3 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 am

KDunbar wrote:I had looked at the State tournament info of the front page which had not been updated. Just found the new state tournament schedule on the What's New page. Again my question is whether any other 2 day tournaments are now allowed, or just the State Tournament and thus if the WSAZ is remaining in the format that I erroneously thought the State tournament was restricted to.

http://www.wvmat.com/statetou/21tourn.htm

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:51 am

Wm0mof3 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:I had looked at the State tournament info of the front page which had not been updated. Just found the new state tournament schedule on the What's New page. Again my question is whether any other 2 day tournaments are now allowed, or just the State Tournament and thus if the WSAZ is remaining in the format that I erroneously thought the State tournament was restricted to.

http://www.wvmat.com/statetou/21tourn.htm

Yeah, that's what I said, it is on the What's New page as you have attached to your post.

Return to “High School Wrestling”