Covid Impacted STQs

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Covid Impacted STQs

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:00 pm

Using the COACHES' rankings, there were six ranked wrestlers kept out of the state tournament due to "Covid exposure".

Your thoughts and opinions?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

wvwrestling1981

Re: Covid Impacted STQs

Postby wvwrestling1981 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:27 pm

My understanding is that the kids, with a judges approval and their BOE approval, made the trip to Huntington after following CDC guidelines and testing, but were still denied the opportunity to compete. I'd like to hear WSSAC's stance on that and anyone else that knows or is able to confirm. It really sounds like a sad situation. There were some great athletes that would have made the finals very exciting.

mscoach146

Postby mscoach146 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:35 pm

Leaving health care decisions such as determining whom was “exposed” and who was not to non-medical experts (principals, local BOE), many of whom are upset that they had to return to the schools in the first place, is one of the MANY huge public policy failures we’ve witnessed during the last year. Our kids continue to be to put at the bottom of everyone’s concerns during this unusual time we’re living

Particularly disgusting is leaving this authority in the hands of administrators who tend to flex their bureaucratic muscle when given the chance. They say they’re “following the science” but yet refuse to acknowledge basic CDC guidelines for exposure or concrete evidence such as three consecutive negative tests. Leaving critical medical decisions in the hands of a person with no degree or training in medicine is about as dumb as it sounds. I’m sure your principal is whom you’d take a family member for a second opinion on a cancer diagnosis.
Not all administrators, teachers, and local BOEs are like this, and I applaud those who truly have the kids best interest at heart. You’re the type of people surrounding our kids that I know will truly make a difference in each of their lives. Thank you for all you do for our kids!

But those who prefer to abuse this power and “flex” on our teams, families, and each of us who work diligently to help our kids I have nothing but utter disdain, contempt, and disgust. You are what is wrong with society and why our youth need more coaches, teachers, and administrators with integrity, discipline, and responsibility involved in the lives of our youths. Even if they are “citizen” coaches.

To the seniors and other wrestlers who were hit hard by a lot of the disruptionsfrom this season, and those who were fortunate to finish their season, remember wrestling teaches its most valuable lessons in our losses. Nothing is guaranteed in this life and at many times in your life, things are just flat out wrong and unfair. That is just the way the wheel turns and has and will continue turning for eternity. Don’t sulk! Use this adversity to drive you to your goals and to realize what you want in life can be taken from you at any moment. You have to practice and train every day like it is your last. You have to compete and fight for every point in every position in every match like it is your last. Because if this year has taught us anything, it very well could be.

The wrestling community is a small one. We all know each other or at worst familiar with each other. We may compete and want to beat each other when the whistle blows, but at the end of the day, we all share the common passion: wrestling. To the entire West Virginia wrestling community, the resilience each team and fan base has shown this season is why we’re the best sports community and family there is. After all, only the wrestling community would be the only one not afraid to tackle COVID head on.

Here’s to hoping for a much smoother year next season.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:12 am

more than that if you count the ones that couldn't compete in regionals

Return to “High School Wrestling”