Coaches Polls

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
TrueSouthFanInPburg

Coaches Polls

Postby TrueSouthFanInPburg » Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm

The Coaches were a little off this year. They got 18 of 84 correct for 21.4%.

Doyablameme?

Re: Coaches Polls

Postby Doyablameme? » Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm

How does that compare with previous years ?

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 pm

I am all for a better system of ranking than the coaches' polls. If I remember correctly weren't the collegiate level talking about the same thing this season?

I assume (I know it's wrong to do so) that you are posting this evidence to start the conversation against coaches' polls?

Anyway, I don't think that percentage is fair though, especially for this season.

1. shortened season cause records and match ups to be few and far between.
2. Coaches (in my mind) are more focused on getting their kids ready for the next match, rather than recognition for previous ones.
3. Coaches are also geographically biased and it is not their fault.
4. Posting scores doesn't happen for various reasons, sometimes the lack of doing so, time constraints, and technological issues.

I think the coaches do the best they can with the information they have. Plus those rankings don't mean anything when it comes to the tournament especially with the pill in place. It is just for fun.

Rankings are a great way though to publicize our sport and individual programs to try to bolster participation.

I do have a question, and I am too lazy to look it up myself. What about the team polls? How far off were they?

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am

beachbum1234 wrote:I am all for a better system of ranking than the coaches' polls. If I remember correctly weren't the collegiate level talking about the same thing this season?

I assume (I know it's wrong to do so) that you are posting this evidence to start the conversation against coaches' polls?

Anyway, I don't think that percentage is fair though, especially for this season.

1. shortened season cause records and match ups to be few and far between.
2. Coaches (in my mind) are more focused on getting their kids ready for the next match, rather than recognition for previous ones.
3. Coaches are also geographically biased and it is not their fault.
4. Posting scores doesn't happen for various reasons, sometimes the lack of doing so, time constraints, and technological issues.

I think the coaches do the best they can with the information they have. Plus those rankings don't mean anything when it comes to the tournament especially with the pill in place. It is just for fun.

Rankings are a great way though to publicize our sport and individual programs to try to bolster participation.

I do have a question, and I am too lazy to look it up myself. What about the team polls? How far off were they?

They were not far off at all.

Return to “High School Wrestling”