States Format after next year?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
WVU

States Format after next year?

Postby WVU » Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm

Since the 4-class basketball tournament seemed to work well, how will it affect wrestling if the WVSSAC decides to adopt the 4-class system in all sports after next year? (Basketball as 4 classes is a 2-year experiment)

If the WVSSAC follows with the current state wrestling format, AAAA & AAA might wrestle together in one tournament, with AA & A wrestling together in a separate tournament.

Here is how that would look for teams that currently field wrestling:

AAAA: (28 Teams)
Morgantown
Musselman
Cabell Midland
Parkersburg
Jefferson
Huntington
Martinsburg
Wheeling Park
Parkersburg South
Spring Mills
Washington
Hedgesville
University
Hurrricane
Woodrow Wilson
George Washington
Riverside
Preston
St. Albans
John Marshall
Oak Hill
South Charleston
Buckhannon-Upshur
Spring Valley
Greenbrier East
Bridgeport
Princeton
Brooke

AAA (26 Teams)
Winfield
Fairmont Senior
Ripley
Nitro
Hampshire
Shady Spring
Herbert Hoover
Robert C. Byrd
East Fairmont
North Marion
Grafton
Elkins
Berkeley Springs
Weir
Point Pleasant
Keyser
Lewis County
Sissonville
PikeView
Lincoln
Logan
Nicholas County
Oak Glen
Independence
Philip Barbour
Liberty (Harrison)

That would make for one heckuva state tournament with 54 teams! I'm sure the AAA team with the highest point total would also be crowned the AAA team champ.

AA-A tournament would break down like this:

AA (20 Teams)
Chapmanville
Frankfort
Roane County
Liberty (Raleigh)
Williamstown
Poca
Bluefield
Mingo Central
Moorefield
Braxton County
Magnolia
Buffalo
South Harrison
Ravenswood
Petersburg
Clay County
St. Marys
Ritchie County
Midland Trail
Wirt County

A: (15 teams)
Doddridge County
Madonna
Tyler Consolidated
Greenbrier West
Man
Richwood
Wahama
River View
Cameron
East Hardy
Calhoun County
Webster County
Paden City
Meadow Bridge
Hundred

35 Teams in AA-A, with the highest scoring A team being crowned state team champ.

Again, the big question that will be answered after next year is whether or not the WVSSAC chooses to adopt the 4-class system across all sports. If the answer is no, the above scenario is a moot point. But if the answer is yes, then how will it affect our regional and state tournaments moving forward?

Lloyd Christmas

Re: States Format after next year?

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 pm

terrible idea

wv wrestling is watered down enough!

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:terrible idea

Still 2 tournaments with the same number of wrestlers. Only differences are that the A/AA would become much weaker and you give out an extra team trophy. The AAAA/AAA tournament would be much tougher. Can you imagine if that was used this year having the Point kids in that upper tournament?

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Tue May 18, 2021 10:06 am

I am a fan of a single state tournament, I have said it previously. If the WVSSAC were to adopt this format of breaking teams down into four classes like this, and then combining them into two tournaments again it makes a single state tournament even more appealing. Under this new system you take away half or even a little over of the top 10 teams in AA/A and place them into what was AAA (AAAA/AAA) in the new system. I dont really have time to run the full statistics of placers, etc. I imagine it would come out close to these numbers as well.

This would create a significant weakening of A/AA and rob those kids (think Ian Bush from Cameron) of the real glory that would come from winning a state title, and if we are honest allow wrestlers who were not deserving to win/place at states. Further, it would do a similar but opposite thing at the larger class. It would create a situation were some really good wrestlers failed to place because it would be about as difficult as simply AAA/AAAA or if you combined all classes into one tournament, but fail to give that person the benefit of being the only state champion in the state. Under this scenario a single state tournament would be all the more appealing and make all the more sense. However, if we are going to force a 4 tier classification system then give them each there own state championships since we wouldnt want it to be unfair or to upset anyone because they didnt get to place or win a state title.

Before it becomes an issue, I understand there are absolute amazing and deserving wrestlers in the smaller schools, but just this year this change would mean that 10 of the 14 state champions and 22 of the 28 state finalists out of that tournament. It just doesnt make sense.

HiCoach

Postby HiCoach » Tue May 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Pottstd, yes that is a lot of state champs and finalists that would be out of the tournament. But does that not show how lop sided A-AA is? At least half of the AA state champs could bump up and beat the AAA champs. So the way I see it, AAAA/AAA and AA/A bracketed tournaments would be better competition all around. If you want to see who the true champ is with all divisions, go to WSAZ, Winners Choice, etc. You can even out the numbers a little better than what basketball did. I mean AAA has it easy enough already when some weights at regionals have 5-6 kids in it lol. IMO I think 4 divisions, 2 brackets will do nothing but raise participation in the state and create better matchups. Again, why are we the only sport with only 2 divisions for a state tournament, while having to win the whole thing to be considered all-state? Just because something has been done the same way forever doesn't make it the best way or the right way!

South83

Postby South83 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:49 pm

How about this. Keep the state tournament the way it is for team scoring, etc., and state champions for the A/AA, and AAA. The following week, have the top four wrestlers from each weight class from the A/AA tournament and AAA tournament wrestle for an individual state championship. It will never happen, but it would be a nice tournament.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Tue May 18, 2021 5:44 pm

South will win it all regardless ..

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri May 21, 2021 3:26 am

The following are the teams listed in the two lower classification set-up used for basketball and the number participants on their wrestling teams. I didn't check, but I'm guessing most, if not all, of these schools actually had a basketball team. One problem for many of these schools is that most did not even come close to having an actual full wrestling team. Thus the concept of comparing what was done in basketball might not logically carry over to wrestling.
AA
Chapmanville - 8
Frankfort - 6
Roane - 9
Liberty (R) - 5
Williamstown - 10
Poca - 7
Bluefield - 2
Mingo Central - 3
Moorefield - 7
Braxton - 13
Magnolia - 10
Buffalo - 9
South Harrison - 6
Ravenswood - 5
Petersburg - 11
Clay - 6
St. Marys - 9
Ritchie - 9
Midland Trail - 4
Wirt - 10
A
Doddridge - 10
Madonna - 3
Tyler - 12
Greenbrier West - 11
Man - 4
Richwood - 3
Wahama - 9
River View - 2
Cameron - 6
East Hardy - 11
Calhoun - 7
Webster - 6
Paden City - 4
Meadow Bridge - 1
Hundred - 6

So, for the 35 "teams" predicted for this postulated combined tournament, meaning there should be 490 wrestlers at the regional level competing for the 14 state championship slots (14x35), there would actually only be 244 wrestlers, or less than 50%. In other words, dividing up the wrestlers into the 4 regions and then dividing by the 14 weight classes, there would only average 4 wrestlers per weight class. In essence everyone would wrestle in the state tournament. In truth, I'm guessing that several of the weight classes would have less than 8 individuals going for the state title (unless you filled in with the 5th, 6th, and 7th place finishers from other regions, again meaning everybody gets to go). The significance of this "title" of the individual state champ would not stand for much. If a wrestler from any of these schools is good enough to be considered a state champion they would be able to compete for that title under the current format. In fact they already do and have done so for many years.

I'm also guessing the rational for dividing things up differently for basketball was because of the unfair advantage that a few schools had because students from some of the larger city areas had the option to attend more than one school in their area (thus giving a supposedly small school a much bigger population {sometimes even getting athletes from other states} from which to draw athletes from year in and year out). This is not an issue in wrestling and in fact the schools in question don't really have wrestling teams.

aaacoach6

Postby aaacoach6 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Chapmanville Regional 51 Logan 21
Date: March 4, 2021

106: Hicks C) forfeit
113: Whitt (C) forfeit
120: R. Trammell (L) forfiet
126: Double forfeit
132: Barker (C) forfeit
138: H, Hicks (C) corfeit
145: Adams (L) Dec. 9-2 Farley (C)
152: Scott (C) forfeit
160: Trammell (L) WBF Little (C)
170: Collins (L) forfeit
182: Collins (C) WBF Campbell (L)
195: Ward (C) WBF Fields (L)
220: Turner (C) WBF McNeeley (L)
285: Collins (C) WBF Goff (L)

Submitted by: Coach Sheppard

That makes 11 wrestlers for Chapmanville and 8 for Man who wrestled at this dual. That is quite a bit more than the 8 and 4 listed as participants for those teams. I believe your numbers are skewed by injury, quarantine, illness, and/or failure to make weight/grades if the regional entry numbers are what were used to get those participation totals.

Shady Spring 54 River View 10
Date: March 17, 2021

106: Furrow SS forfeit
113: Ward SS forfeit
120: Double forfeit
126: Goode SS forfeit
132: Epperly SS forfeit
138: Sweeney RV mdec 9-0 Chambers SS
145: Price SS fall over Mullins RV 2:25
152: Shrewsberry SS fall over Rose RV 2:59
160: Double forfeit
170: Polk SS fall over Rowe RV 1:27
182: Holstein SS fall over Thomas RV 2:43
195: Wood SS forfeit
220: Double forfeit
285: Payne RV forfeit

Submitted by: Coach Shrewsberry SS

As you can see River View had 6 compared to the 2 you have listed.

While these numbers still do not put those schools at having full teams the participation numbers are skewed from 14 reported to 25 actual varsity wrestlers at one point during the season for those teams. My guess for this discrepancy is that with the smaller schools, when they lose a starter they do not have someone waiting for their spot on a JV squad who can immediately step in. Their numbers are likely to be lower at regionals that any other time of the season. Also the multi sport athletes that small school rely on had to chose between wrestling, baseball, track, and tennis all running conjointly this year so relying on just numbers this year is a moot point.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Fri May 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Counter proposal for fun ... we have a state championship tournament for each class (either A, AA, and AAA or add in AAAA and have 4), but we only have state champions and runner-ups, no "medal" matches, wrestle backs, etc. You're either first or last, or in this context 2nd because we have to know who is second. Just lightening the mood a bit.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Sat May 22, 2021 12:28 am

aaacoach6 wrote:Chapmanville Regional 51 Logan 21
Date: March 4, 2021

106: Hicks C) forfeit
113: Whitt (C) forfeit
120: R. Trammell (L) forfiet
126: Double forfeit
132: Barker (C) forfeit
138: H, Hicks (C) corfeit
145: Adams (L) Dec. 9-2 Farley (C)
152: Scott (C) forfeit
160: Trammell (L) WBF Little (C)
170: Collins (L) forfeit
182: Collins (C) WBF Campbell (L)
195: Ward (C) WBF Fields (L)
220: Turner (C) WBF McNeeley (L)
285: Collins (C) WBF Goff (L)

Submitted by: Coach Sheppard

That makes 11 wrestlers for Chapmanville and 8 for Man who wrestled at this dual. That is quite a bit more than the 8 and 4 listed as participants for those teams. I believe your numbers are skewed by injury, quarantine, illness, and/or failure to make weight/grades if the regional entry numbers are what were used to get those participation totals.

Shady Spring 54 River View 10
Date: March 17, 2021

106: Furrow SS forfeit
113: Ward SS forfeit
120: Double forfeit
126: Goode SS forfeit
132: Epperly SS forfeit
138: Sweeney RV mdec 9-0 Chambers SS
145: Price SS fall over Mullins RV 2:25
152: Shrewsberry SS fall over Rose RV 2:59
160: Double forfeit
170: Polk SS fall over Rowe RV 1:27
182: Holstein SS fall over Thomas RV 2:43
195: Wood SS forfeit
220: Double forfeit
285: Payne RV forfeit

Submitted by: Coach Shrewsberry SS

As you can see River View had 6 compared to the 2 you have listed.

While these numbers still do not put those schools at having full teams the participation numbers are skewed from 14 reported to 25 actual varsity wrestlers at one point during the season for those teams. My guess for this discrepancy is that with the smaller schools, when they lose a starter they do not have someone waiting for their spot on a JV squad who can immediately step in. Their numbers are likely to be lower at regionals that any other time of the season. Also the multi sport athletes that small school rely on had to chose between wrestling, baseball, track, and tennis all running conjointly this year so relying on just numbers this year is a moot point.

Yes, I used the number of entries in the regionals, which was the number that would have been in a state tournament had the format suggested been used. One would have to look at every team involved and count their wrestlers throughout the season to really know if these two teams highlighted were the norm or the exceptions. Obviously this was an odd year, but other than wrestlers leaving wrestling to go to another sport, the losses heading into the regionals would/should/could have been about the same for any year. One could go back to last year and look at these same teams and the number of wrestlers they had at the time of the regionals to get another count, but I'm not going to take the time to do that. Someone else can if they are trying to make a point. I'm just guessing that even then the number shooting for the state title would be much smaller than one might initially surmise with a 35 team count. However, I did look at last years 106 lb entries in the regionals and the number was just 17 for these 35 teams So another example, (still using this years numbers) at 106 lb this year, there were 15 wrestlers total from these 35 teams above entered in the regionals. If you shift the old AA schools that are now the new AAA and add their 106 lb wrestlers to the new AAAA schools you get 33 wrestlers going for the 106 lb state title. Does a state title mean nearly the same having won out of a group of 15 or coming out on top in a much more difficult group of 33?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat May 22, 2021 11:32 pm

I think the 4 divisions in basketball was aimed at limiting the number of private schools winning championships. It accomplished that goal in that there were no private school championship teams and only 1 in the finals. Wrestling does not face that problem.

Heath

Postby Heath » Wed May 26, 2021 9:14 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:terrible idea

Agreed. If anything I’d rather go to one true champion but it’s fine how it is now.

Riverdawg64

Postby Riverdawg64 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:03 am

I have said this all along why can't there be a true A, AA, and AAA Champion. It makes it more competitive for small schools who do not have the numbers and/or facilities to have a big team. The kids will face each other at other tournaments and conference matches. Wrestling depends alot on practice partners and quality matches. Most small schools might have 1 or 2 good wrestlers and will not compete in WSAZs or Winner Choice bc 1 kid might place and the rest of the team gets trashed. I think if you went with a true champion in each class it would give small schools a chance to earn maybe their first title ever.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:58 pm

Riverdawg64 wrote:I have said this all along why can't there be a true A, AA, and AAA Champion. It makes it more competitive for small schools who do not have the numbers and/or facilities to have a big team. The kids will face each other at other tournaments and conference matches. Wrestling depends alot on practice partners and quality matches. Most small schools might have 1 or 2 good wrestlers and will not compete in WSAZs or Winner Choice bc 1 kid might place and the rest of the team gets trashed. I think if you went with a true champion in each class it would give small schools a chance to earn maybe their first title ever.

I not sure I understand how a separate A tournament actually accomplishes anything from a team standpoint. The "top" A teams who actually come close to having a full team would most likely still be the ones to be in the running for a team title, as they currently are. Are you saying that a different team who doesn't have wrestlers that are that good would have a shot at the team title? Also, are you implying that there are teams in the state that do not have full teams because their facilities are so small that they can't fit a full team in a practice? As for the better wrestlers at the A level, if getting better competition is an issue, I would think their schools and families could make it possible for them to attend such tournaments as the WSAZ and Winner's Choice while the rest of the team that would get "trashed" could go to other venues. The cost of entering a single wrestler might be much less than housing a full team if the tournaments allow it (I'm pretty sure the WSAZ does). Regarding your last sentence above. I believe there have been several individuals over the years from the small schools who have won an individual state championship and some quite likely would have beaten the state champion from the big schools (or even did so during the regular season). These individuals were truly state champs in every sense. To just keep reducing the number of teams, and thus individuals, down just so a small school who never has had an individual state champ could have one (even though that 'state champ' couldn't beat 90% of the wrestlers in the state) kind of defeats the purpose of wrestling in the first place. Just my thoughts.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:06 am

Clay Co also had a full team (not 6 as listed). I know you said you used regional entry list, but Clay had over half their team (including at least 2 likely placers) quarantined and unable to compete at regionals.

For the life of me I do not understand why everyone wants to see smaller schools have absolutely no chance at success.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:36 pm

I'm guessing it's just a differing opinion as to the definition of success.
In response to the Clay County example, I'm pretty sure one could use the 2019 (prior to any COVID quarantine) team sizes and you'd still come up with essentially the same numbers.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:58 am

KDunbar wrote:I'm guessing it's just a differing opinion as to the definition of success.
In response to the Clay County example, I'm pretty sure one could use the 2019 (prior to any COVID quarantine) team sizes and you'd still come up with essentially the same numbers.
well, tell me about your definition of success as it comes to the smaller schools? Is hoping to have 1 or 2 placers every few years your definition of success?

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:32 am

I think the point here is that we are not defining success solely based on how well the small schools do. More importance is being placed on the "value" or "quality" of the state title or state placement than it simply occurring. Thus, if you intentionally create a weak class based solely around the desire or idea to provide inflated success to smaller schools then that really isnt success, its just a fancier participation trophy.

baxter841

Postby baxter841 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:08 am

Then why not go to 1 class in every sport?

You have 3 classes in almost every sport, now 4 in basketball.

I can't believe more single A schools aren't demanding a chance at their own class after cross country ( with less participation than wrestling) got their own class last fall ( and guess what - they are staying that way )

My opinion all along has been to give the 3 classes a 4-year try - if it doesn't work scrap it.

Everyone is looking at the now - it will be weakened and watered down, but it may grow the sport in the future.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am

baxter841 wrote:Then why not go to 1 class in every sport?

You have 3 classes in almost every sport, now 4 in basketball.

I can't believe more single A schools aren't demanding a chance at their own class after cross country ( with less participation than wrestling) got their own class last fall ( and guess what - they are staying that way )

My opinion all along has been to give the 3 classes a 4-year try - if it doesn't work scrap it.

Everyone is looking at the now - it will be weakened and watered down, but it may grow the sport in the future.

I would be fine with every sport being one class, but wrestling in a lot of ways is unique. There are single A schools that struggle to field a football team where you absolutely have to have 11 people participating and playing to compete at all. In wrestling, you can really judge success in a number of ways (dual wins, team tournament placement, and individually). Thus, in wrestling a team of 1 could be successful if that individual is skilled and does well. Cameron (7 kids in the regional tournament) found success w/ a champion and a 4th place finisher, and runner up in the single A team score. They may not have had much duel meet success (I'm not sure), but that is success.

And look, I'm not going to pull my hair out and rage against the SSAC if they move to different classes. I'll celebrate the success of any wrestler in WV. This debate should be for fun. I would hope this would grow the sport, but I have my doubts. If someone isnt mentally tough enough to compete in a sport without being successful (i.e. state placer) then I dont really see them sticking to and enjoying wrestling. Regardless, I wouldnt mind the SSAC mixing things up somehow, and if they go this route and it works well and increases participation then I will be proud to have you tell me I told you so.

mscoach64

Postby mscoach64 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm

Pottstd wrote:I think the point here is that we are not defining success solely based on how well the small schools do. More importance is being placed on the "value" or "quality" of the state title or state placement than it simply occurring. Thus, if you intentionally create a weak class based solely around the desire or idea to provide inflated success to smaller schools then that really isnt success, its just a fancier participation trophy.
This is not the case in any way you say it. The value or quality of a state title is the same and would not be deminished at all. It would not be intentionally creating a weak class. It would be creating a class of like schools. It would not be inflated success as it is success that is equal (or at least fairly equal). Actually placing "lesser quality wrestlers" in with the others is creating a "watered down title" for those kids. There is a reason that AAA Martinsburg does not play games vs AA Chapmanville or A Montcalm in football. Why is that not the same valid reason for wrestling? I promise that Montcalm athletes would not play football if they knew teams such as Martinsburg were always on their schedule. Now, let them play against Mount View or Webster and they get athletes out for football. There is no debate that a team such as Park South can create state placers due to the competition in their wrestling room. Place that same kid in a wrestling practice room as a Cameron and he/she is most likely not gonna grow as much as they are in the PS room. The phrase "participation trophy" is way overused and is something the big people use to make light of the little people. Please don't allow that phrase to become part of your lexicon. Now, If my response seemed rude or hateful, then please know that it was not be to be so. Its just seems very condenscending to hear a "big school" person say that a "small person" has a participation trophy title

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:50 pm

I’m with mscoach64, how dare someone suggest that adding a division in a state where we are losing population will water down the competition. In fact, I propose that following in the footsteps of our brother to the East, the Commonwealth of Virginia, we institute SIX Public School classes and one private school class. Let’s also place top 8 instead of top 6.

If we TRIPLE the number of classes from two to six and then give the private schools a class of their own then everyone will have an opportunity to compete against schools of a similar size.

This is a sure fire way to promote wrestling! Look what it has done for Virginia. States like Pennsylvania, California and Ohio who only have 1-3 classes are missing the opportunity to please the masses and grow the sport. 7 classes is the bare minimum that we should consider, 10 is ideal.

* I find it dangerous when small schools have the nerve to send wrestlers to Ironman. Don’t they realize that a smaller student population means that their wrestlers cannot compete with wrestlers from schools with large populations?

** I also believe that the WSAZ Middle School Tournament should be separated as to the size of the school. Let’s get Coach Archer to make 6 classes and brackets at the WSAZ. Those kids who are in small middle schools should not be forced to compete against schools with larger populations.

Pottstd

Postby Pottstd » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm

I dont think we need to condescend mscoach64, and pretend is argument doesnt hold weight. I do appreciate the jab at VA though. However, this shouldnt turn into personal attacks. That diminishes the discussion on this form, and that is after all why it exists.

I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on this subject, but as I stated in my last post, I am all for increased participation in wrestling as should and I hope everyone on this forum is. It also think WV wrestling could use a shake up and my opinion is not the only one.

I think my point may have been misconstrued however. I absolutely know there are plenty of amazing wrestlers at both A and AA schools. I even pointed that out I do believe. Even if we went to three classes or the noted change of classification and AAA/AAAA vs. A/AA (noted in the original post) there would be amazing state champions and placers. But no one would argue that the PAC 8 championships (the local JR high league) is as good as the OVAC. This is based on number of entries at the tournament or available for it, the level of competition available at it, etc. To claim that consistently across the board a single A tournament or a combined A/AA (from the original post) would be as competitive. I'm not trying to belittle accomplishment or say that somehow those would hold no value. This is no different than me saying hey you know PA state champs and placements are worth more than WV. While it 100% that at times WV produces state champs and placers that are better than those in PA, but across the board and as a whole this is not true.

Again I wont be upset if this happens. I just think we should consider other options as well.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:29 pm

KDunbar wrote:The following are the teams listed in the two lower classification set-up used for basketball and the number participants on their wrestling teams. I didn't check, but I'm guessing most, if not all, of these schools actually had a basketball team. One problem for many of these schools is that most did not even come close to having an actual full wrestling team. Thus the concept of comparing what was done in basketball might not logically carry over to wrestling.
AA
Chapmanville - 8
Frankfort - 6
Roane - 9
Liberty (R) - 5
Williamstown - 10
Poca - 7
Bluefield - 2
Mingo Central - 3
Moorefield - 7
Braxton - 13
Magnolia - 10
Buffalo - 9
South Harrison - 6
Ravenswood - 5
Petersburg - 11
Clay - 6
St. Marys - 9
Ritchie - 9
Midland Trail - 4
Wirt - 10
A
Doddridge - 10
Madonna - 3
Tyler - 12
Greenbrier West - 11
Man - 4
Richwood - 3
Wahama - 9
River View - 2
Cameron - 6
East Hardy - 11
Calhoun - 7
Webster - 6
Paden City - 4
Meadow Bridge - 1
Hundred - 6

So, for the 35 "teams" predicted for this postulated combined tournament, meaning there should be 490 wrestlers at the regional level competing for the 14 state championship slots (14x35), there would actually only be 244 wrestlers, or less than 50%. In other words, dividing up the wrestlers into the 4 regions and then dividing by the 14 weight classes, there would only average 4 wrestlers per weight class. In essence everyone would wrestle in the state tournament. In truth, I'm guessing that several of the weight classes would have less than 8 individuals going for the state title (unless you filled in with the 5th, 6th, and 7th place finishers from other regions, again meaning everybody gets to go). The significance of this "title" of the individual state champ would not stand for much. If a wrestler from any of these schools is good enough to be considered a state champion they would be able to compete for that title under the current format. In fact they already do and have done so for many years.

I'm also guessing the rational for dividing things up differently for basketball was because of the unfair advantage that a few schools had because students from some of the larger city areas had the option to attend more than one school in their area (thus giving a supposedly small school a much bigger population {sometimes even getting athletes from other states} from which to draw athletes from year in and year out). This is not an issue in wrestling and in fact the schools in question don't really have wrestling teams.

You may want to recheck your numbers because wahama had 14 wrestlers filling 13 classes

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 am

aacoach21 wrote:
KDunbar wrote:The following are the teams listed in the two lower classification set-up used for basketball and the number participants on their wrestling teams. I didn't check, but I'm guessing most, if not all, of these schools actually had a basketball team. One problem for many of these schools is that most did not even come close to having an actual full wrestling team. Thus the concept of comparing what was done in basketball might not logically carry over to wrestling.
AA
Chapmanville - 8
Frankfort - 6
Roane - 9
Liberty (R) - 5
Williamstown - 10
Poca - 7
Bluefield - 2
Mingo Central - 3
Moorefield - 7
Braxton - 13
Magnolia - 10
Buffalo - 9
South Harrison - 6
Ravenswood - 5
Petersburg - 11
Clay - 6
St. Marys - 9
Ritchie - 9
Midland Trail - 4
Wirt - 10
A
Doddridge - 10
Madonna - 3
Tyler - 12
Greenbrier West - 11
Man - 4
Richwood - 3
Wahama - 9
River View - 2
Cameron - 6
East Hardy - 11
Calhoun - 7
Webster - 6
Paden City - 4
Meadow Bridge - 1
Hundred - 6

You may want to recheck your numbers because wahama had 14 wrestlers filling 13 classes

Not that it matters, but I'm guessing you intended to imply '13 wrestlers filling 14 classes. Checked the numbers and mine were indeed correct. Since the topic was regarding participation numbers at the Regionals and then State tournaments, Wahama did not have entrants at 126, 138, 145, 152, and 182. So my count of 9 was correct.

aacoach21

Postby aacoach21 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Yes but had it been a normal year it would have been 13 the empty classes were do to Covid quartine.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:01 pm

aacoach21 wrote:Yes but had it been a normal year it would have been 13 the empty classes were do to Covid quartine.

2020 was a normal year and Wahama had 10 wrestlers then (at least participating in the LKC championships, as there are no brackets for their regionals that i have found), so 9 or 13 doesn't really change the point and argument I was making. The numbers just aren't there, in my opinion.

Return to “High School Wrestling”