Burton Rodgers

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Matofficial

Burton Rodgers

Postby Matofficial » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:10 am

I read in the paper that Burton Rodgers passed away yesterday. He was a football and wrestling official for 32 years. He was my mentor and a great person! He will be missed by many. Rest In Peace Burton.

Doyablameme?

Re: Burton Rodgers

Postby Doyablameme? » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:38 pm

I remember him.. always kept his composure.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:31 am

I had nominated him for the Wrestling Hall of Fame. He was the #1 official in the Mid-Ohio Valley back in the day and started the Mid-Ohio Valley Wrestling Officials Organization. He was inducted in the 2013 Hall of Fame class.
http://www.wvmat.com/hallfame/13induct.htm

Burton Rodgers -- "Lifetime Service to Wrestling"

Burton Mack Rodgers wrestling career began at DuPont High School (class of 1961) under the coaching of J.D. Kidd. Burton weighed only 175 lbs, was undefeated and West Virginia State Champion in 1961 at the unlimited weight class.

Burton attended Virginia Tech (class of 1965) where he went undefeated as a Freshman heavyweight and was a three year starter for the Hokies at center and linebacker for Coach Jerry Claiborne.

A 32 year veteran wrestling official, Burton officiated at the small fry, Jr. High, high school and collegiate level with his first State tournament in 1971 and his last in 1990. He was instrumental in the organization of the Belpre youth wrestling program , coached youth football and officiated football at the pee wee, Jr. High and high school level for 10 years.

Burton retired in 1993 from RJ Reynolds and resides in Belpre, Ohio. He is a charter member of the DuPont High School Hall of Fame, member of Ohio High School Wrestling Hall of Fame, 45 year member of the Salina Masonic Lodge #27 and Mullen Memorial Baptist Church were he served as BYF leader, Sunday School Class President, Church Treasurer and ordained a Baptist Deacon. Governor Ray Blanton commissioned Burton a Tennessee Colonel in 1977..

Burton and his wife Paula, married for 47 years, have been blessed with two daughters, Adria Lynnn Carter and Shanna Rodgers. They have three grandsons Braxton Carter, Paden Mack Carter, and Lohan Sutton.

The National Wrestling Hall of fame honors Burton Rodgers with a "Lifetime of Service to Wrestling" award, class of 2013.

Matofficial

Postby Matofficial » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:25 am

Very good Brent !

wv16refgk

Postby wv16refgk » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:51 am

Burt Mac was one of the great personalities in our great sport!! I was his pop cycle boy when he played football at Dupont !! We officiated many State Tournaments together and he was one of my mentors. His personality will be missed and it should be known that he was one of the great ambassetors of our great sport of wrestling Rest in peace old friend!! GK

Return to “High School Wrestling”