Changes to State HS Wrestling Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

Changes to State HS Wrestling Tournament

Postby admin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Memo from Coach Bill Archer, Meet Director, WVSSAC State High School Wrestling Tournament
RE: Changes for the WVSSAC State Wrestling Tournament
Date: April 13, 2015

1. Coaches committee decided to have a weight class drawn at the coaches meeting before the start of the tournament as to what weight will be wrestled first during the finals. The weight classes will continue in order as it is done in dual meets. If this works out the same way would be used in the place matches.

2. Coaches have decided to try and include an extra official in the finals, semi-finals and place matches to help with the end of the periods as far as the time goes. The officials will meet with Mr. Welker before the tournament to have it worked out as to how it will happen. The coaches (at least of the committee) have been against the use of the extra official. The officials as a group have been for the use of the extra official. This may be a way to easy into returning to the use of two officials.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

mscoach4

Re: Changes to State HS Wrestling Tournament

Postby mscoach4 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40 pm

I wonder if we will see the day that video can be viewed in finals matches like the Humphreys-Simpkins match?

HeadlackObama

Postby HeadlackObama » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:18 am

Nope, I doubt it. That might hurt a WV referee's feelings if that happened. Although, it does not seem to hurt the feelings of really good NCAA referees

Refuse-to-lose

Postby Refuse-to-lose » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:08 pm

I think that video review might be a stretch in high school wrestling. But, I strongly agree with two officials in the semi final and finals matches. These young men/women work too hard to meet their goals to have it taken away by a missed or incorrect call in their match. The officials in WV do an outstanding job at what they do. But, they cant possibly be in every position that they need to be 100% of the time.....Just saying ;)

gnat

Postby gnat » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:02 am

I just hope they train table workers on what to look for at the end of a period as to whether points were scored or a pin was called before time was up. I feel a ref should give a verbal notification when points are scored and this is what the timekeeper goes by not if the ref had time to signal the points. A pin should be signaled by blowing the whistle then worrying about slapping get the mat. I have seen time keepers say someone wasn't pinned because the refs hand hadn't hit the mat before time was up. This is obviously the wrong call and the wrestler was pinned before the ref raised his hand to call him pinned. So if the hand goes in the air before the buzzer the the wrestler is pinned.

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:24 pm

So as was posted in this thread a year ago, did they draw a weight class to start at tonight? or will this be like the other part of this thread in which it said 2 officials would be used for semis and place matches which didn't happen. Personally I hope they start at 106

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Two officials

Matches start at 138 by draw
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Return to “High School Wrestling”