Seed with Speed

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Seed with Speed

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:46 pm

Regarding tournaments in general, maybe it would help to proactively communicate the seeding criteria at the bottom of the flyer advertising the tournament?

Furthermore, why does there need to be different criteria at so many tournaments.

Why doesn't the coaches committee work on a uniform criteria for all WV tournaments?

At the very least, have say four set criteria and then a given tournament could add 2 to 3 different criteria on the bottom. Four standard as the top four and then three afterward. It could be 5 to 6 standard and then 2 to 4 afterward. Something that is more uniform.

To take it a step forward, rankings could be established based on the established standard criteria.

At the very least, it could make seeding meetings shorter, less painful and avoid near fights.

OR...............we could keep doing what we are doing.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

csmith11

Re: Seed with Speed

Postby csmith11 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:23 am

we host a 32 man tournament down in florida on trackwrestling. for seeding purposes I use

1st criteria is last year state placement

2 is the year before that state place

3 is our tourney place last year

followed by state qualifier the last 2 years

when a team enters their lineup into the tournament it is simple drop boxes to fill out the criteria. we than open it up the day before the tournament for coaches to go in and mark if their wrestler has beaten other kids in tournament and track automatically makes the adjustments to seeds. with technology today there is no more need for a seeding meeting.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:18 am

csmith11 wrote:we host a 32 man tournament down in florida on trackwrestling. for seeding purposes I use

when a team enters their lineup into the tournament it is simple drop boxes to fill out the criteria. we than open it up the day before the tournament for coaches to go in and mark if their wrestler has beaten other kids in tournament and track automatically makes the adjustments to seeds. with technology today there is no more need for a seeding meeting.

Thank you for your input coach.

It is interesting to me that we have all kinds of people out there from all over reading our WV forum.

In WV, we have all kinds of experiences from one wrestling event to another. Some are operating with more modern methods and some are operating in the dark ages.

Personally, I do not mind watching matches by candle light. I just would like to see better team entry management so the brackets get filled up.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:14 am

Bearhugger wrote:
csmith11 wrote:we host a 32 man tournament down in florida on trackwrestling. for seeding purposes I use

Thank you for your input coach.

It is interesting to me that we have all kinds of people out there from all over reading our WV forum.

In WV, we have all kinds of experiences from one wrestling event to another. Some are operating with more modern methods and some are operating in the dark ages.

Personally, I do not mind watching matches by candle light. I just would like to see better team entry management so the brackets get filled up.

csmith from Florida is, I believe, former Parkersburg South state champion and Ironman placer, Chris Smith.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:21 pm

I am just an old retired guy but should not head to head recent matches trump everything. Example last years 3 rd place guy in States beats the returning champ head to head. Would not the third place guy be seeded higher? Also, placing at “our tournament” is a bit shaky. Suppose, say Blair or Walsh Jesuit decide to come this year for the first time … they did not place in “our tournament” last season but will ruin some folks weekend for sure. In many cases it’s not record but who you have beaten or lost to that really matters. Just .02 from attending or running well over 100 seeding meetings over the years. I once had a kid who was 44-1 and his loss came in OT to a Fargo Champ from Moeller … another coach argued for almost an hour that his kid who was 13-0 but had wrestled only duals and tris within their conference should be seeded first because he was undefeated (including 5 forfeits in those 14 wins.) you can never make everyone happy. My kid was a three time high school state champ and went onto wrestle a full college career. Not sure what happened to the 14-0 kid except he got majored in the round of 16. But, I have seen unseeded kids knock off returning state champs more than once. Seeding is an imperfect science at best.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:13 pm

Panther_coach wrote:I am just an old retired guy but should not head to head recent matches trump everything. Example last years 3 rd place guy in States beats the returning champ head to head. Would not the third place guy be seeded higher? Also, placing at “our tournament” is a bit shaky. Suppose, say Blair or Walsh Jesuit decide to come this year for the first time … they did not place in “our tournament” last season but will ruin some folks weekend for sure. In many cases it’s not record but who you have beaten or lost to that really matters. Just .02 from attending or running well over 100 seeding meetings over the years. I once had a kid who was 44-1 and his loss came in OT to a Fargo Champ from Moeller … another coach argued for almost an hour that his kid who was 13-0 but had wrestled only duals and tris within their conference should be seeded first because he was undefeated (including 5 forfeits in those 14 wins.) you can never make everyone happy. My kid was a three time high school state champ and went onto wrestle a full college career. Not sure what happened to the 14-0 kid except he got majored in the round of 16. But, I have seen unseeded kids knock off returning state champs more than once. Seeding is an imperfect science at best.

Panther Coach, I miss your forum contributions. I hope to see you post more often. Perhaps at least once a day. If you are breathing, you should be posting.

I am just an old fan but I agree with your head to head trumps everything. Mater of face, Bear Tracks is based on head to head trumps everything. WHO I think will win, is not reflected in Bear Tracks. WHO I would put my money on, is not reflected in Bear Tracks. Even common opponents is not reflected in Bear Tracks. Head to head drives the train.

To be the man, you have to beat the man!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

csmith11

Postby csmith11 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:29 am

dunbar you are correct.

panther coach you are correct in last years 3rd placer would be higher than last years state champ if he has a head to head win. our tournament is a top 3 tournament in florida and draws the top teams from 1a,2a,3a. so placing at our tournament helps with the multi divisions as well as any local teams that have a good record because they dont wrestle anyone. with those 5 criteria's i only have to make a few decisions if any.

johnson central is a perfect example as to why using last years tournament can be useful. id be willing to bet that outside of wsaz finding common opponents is hard to find.

as for the blair comment i will use 106 at our tournament as a example. there was 3 returning state placers and a few state qualifiers that all got seeded behind a freshman that met zero criteria's. he was a 3rd place finisher at beast of the east.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification… sounds like you are definitely on the mark with your seeding. Best of luck with your tournament!
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Return to “High School Wrestling”