Wsaz updates, scoring, upset alerts HS

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mscoach81

Wsaz updates, scoring, upset alerts HS

Postby mscoach81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm

cid:12C0C94D-17BD-40EB-AB34-73DD3233A618-L0-001

mscoach81

Re: Wsaz updates, scoring, upset alerts HS

Postby mscoach81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm

AAA

1 Woodrow 71
2 University 68
3 South. 63
4. Huntington 58 1/2
5. Staunton River 55
6 Cabell Midland. 50
St. Albans 50
8. Skyline 49 1/2
9. Musselman 38 1/2
10: Riverside 38

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:54 pm

AA

1 Point. 58
2. Fairmont Sr. 53 1/2
3. Braxton. 53
4. Independence 49
5. Sissonvile. 41
6. Herbert Hoover. 40 1/2
7. East Fairmont. 38
8. Winfield 36
9. Lewis. 29
10. Clay 28 1/2

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:59 pm

A.

1. Roselle park 48
2. Cameron. 46
3. Greenbrier west 44
4. Williamstown 30
5. Wirt. 27
6. Fairland. 18
7. Wahama. 17 1/2
8. St Mary’s. 15
9. Buffalo. 13
10. Ravenswood 11

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Top 10 team scores after day 1 and wrestlers left

Team/score/ total wrestlers left/ # in champ/# in conso
University/102 points/10 left/5 champ/5 conso
South/101 points/11 left/6 champ/5 conso
Woodrow Wilson/89 points/8 left/6 champ/2 conso
Point Pleasant/87 points/9 left/6 champ/3 conso
Braxton County/80 points/8 left/4 champ/4 conso
Staunton River/78 points/8 left/6 champ/2 conso
Fairmont Senior/76.5 points/9 left/ 2 champ/7 conso
Cabell Midland/72 points/6 left/3 champ/3 conso
Huntington/71.5 points/8 left/6 champ/2 conso
St. Albans/71 points/6 left/5 champ/1 conso

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:29 am

Quarterfinals watch list

Johnson vs High
Goode vs Arthur
. Andrick vs St Clair
Smith vs Harris
Hess vs Holt
Ramirez vs Walls
Arnold vs Price
Felix vs. Stewart
Osborne vs Bennett
Woyan vs Ayers
Holstion vs Kelly
Edge vs Misner
Giompalo vs Taylor
Britton vs Edwards
Mullins vs Worstell
Turney vs McCann

Campion

Postby Campion » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:24 am

mscoach81 wrote:Quarterfinals watch list

Johnson vs High
Goode vs Arthur
. Andrick vs St Clair
Smith vs Harris
Hess vs Holt
Ramirez vs Walls
Arnold vs Price
Felix vs. Stewart
Osborne vs Bennett
Woyan vs Ayers
Holstion vs Kelly
Edge vs Misner
Giompalo vs Taylor
Britton vs Edwards
Mullins vs Worstell
Turney vs McCann

Smith Harms match was an sudden victory thriller.
Edge wrestled well against Misner
Britton looked good against Edwards
Worstell is coming on and had a great match

Wish I could have seen more of them, tried to keep track of all the mats! Very competitive WSAZ tournament this year for sure!!

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:43 am

Well another year of WSAZ in the books it was exciting.
Several finals came out that were a super champion for the state tournament with AA and A kids against AAA champions.
First and foremost the out-of-state kids at Roselle Park, Christiansburg, Skyline, SR, etc. came to play.
They had some serious athletes in the tournament.

In state, what probably stuck out the most was the competition of 182, like discussed the separation of three incredible talents at 182.
The Giompalo vs Bush match up at semis was worth the price of admission and then the Bush vs Wright finals was the same.
Those three West Virginia kids put on a show and are Div 1 college ready which is exciting in our state.
And two of them still have more years of high school left.

The freshman university kid at 195 is a serious contender
Not pretender. That’s incredibly impressive at a higher weight for underclassman. He’s on a must watch list for many years.

145 probably being the number 2 toughest class behind 182.
It was also full of studs.
They heavy weights from Christiansburg were as
advertised. And the Huntington Heavy fought his way back for third place which was impressive after dropping into the consos

But, 182 has to go down as the weight class this year. I don’t know how many actual state titles this podium will capture over the next several years but it already has a tremendous amount… and counting.
Not sure if Wright stays down or goes back to 195 but i’m sure glad we came down for this tournament to drop into an already loaded bracket.
I guess as a fan I’m just jealous that we couldn’t have wrestled a Round Robin with Wight Wrestling Giompalo also.

Either way it was a great tournament and ran quick and successful.

Thanks Again- Non Covid wrestling returning to our state.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:23 am

mscoach81 wrote:Well another year of WSAZ in the books it was exciting.
Several finals came out that were a super champion for the state tournament with AA and A kids against AAA champions.
First and foremost the out-of-state kids at Roselle Park, Christiansburg, Skyline, SR, etc. came to play.

In state, what probably stuck out the most was the competition of 182, like discussed the separation of three incredible talents at 182.
The Giompalo vs Bush match up at semis was worth the price of admission and then the Bush vs Wright finals was the same.
Those three West Virginia kids put on a show and are Div 1 college ready which is exciting in our state.

Not pretender. That’s incredibly impressive at a higher weight for underclassman. He’s on a must watch list for many years.

advertised. And the Huntington Heavy fought his way back for third place which was impressive after dropping into the consos

But, 182 has to go down as the weight class this year. I don’t know how many actual state titles this podium will capture over the next several years but it already has a tremendous amount… and counting.
Not sure if Wright stays down or goes back to 195 but i’m sure glad we came down for this tournament to drop into an already loaded bracket.
I guess as a fan I’m just jealous that we couldn’t have wrestled a Round Robin with Wight Wrestling Giompalo also.

Just clarifying one thing. Wright didn’t move down from 195. He moved up from 170. He even wrestled a dual at 170 just 2 days prior to WSAZ. And he wrestled 160 at one point this season. All the more impressive that he was undersized in the bracket but came out on top.

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:33 pm

Yep. With all the weight class jumping around that was an Edwards on the brain, slip up.

Campion

Postby Campion » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:01 pm

:D Agree! 182 and 145 provided some great matchups with added excitement in the stands! It truly creates fan interest which is critical for any sport. It also reminds me, again, of why I would love to see All-Class Individual Titles at States. Not trying to start a debate that can easily be triggered here, it’s just my dream and only that. Leave it at that!

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:29 am

mscoach81 wrote:Well another year of WSAZ in the books it was exciting.

I am asking the following question, not to be controversial or anything like that, but because I am confused by the statement that "Several finals came out that were a super champion for the state tournament". Of course we do not know who will be the state champions yet this year in AAA and AA/A, but I am not aware of any matchups that would fit that description. The only matchup like that in the tournament that I am aware of would have been the 145 pound Felix/Bartee match in the semifinals. One might consider the Bush/Giompalo match in the semis, but Edwards is the coaches pick for that weight class as of now (I know of course that the repeat match-up, which may well be in the regionals and possibly again in the state tournament, between those two could likely go either way). Again, I was just wondering which matches you were referring to.

Roadrunner

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:28 am

I thought Misner was the coaches pick. Is there a new ranking out?

mscoach81

Postby mscoach81 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 am

I think without going into a rabbit hole or answering as if it’s a deposition question, the simple answer is probably
“Yes, Both”
The young man from Parkersburg South is a returning AAA state champion and the young man from Cameron is returning AA state champion. Regardless of whatever weight classes they have been in or they may be going to, they were in the same weight class at this tournament and are “returning state champions.”
Once you are a state champion, you’re always a champion
In addition to that, just in this weight class alone, we had 2 returning AAA state champions in the semi finals match and a conso semis match that was a rematch of last year’s AAA state finals.
Not even inclusive of what they all could accomplish after March this year.
And probably most importantly, not even mentioning or titling yet the young man from Cabell Midland with his out of state accomplishments.
-Hope this helps

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:35 pm

mscoach81 wrote:I think without going into a rabbit hole or answering as if it’s a deposition question, the simple answer is probably
“Yes, Both”
The young man from Parkersburg South is a returning AAA state champion and the young man from Cameron is returning AA state champion. Regardless of whatever weight classes they have been in or they may be going to, they were in the same weight class at this tournament and are “returning state champions.”
Once you are a state champion, you’re always a champion
In addition to that, just in this weight class alone, we had 2 returning AAA state champions in the semi finals match and a conso semis match that was a rematch of last year’s AAA state finals.
Not even inclusive of what they all could accomplish after March this year.
And probably most importantly, not even mentioning or titling yet the young man from Cabell Midland with his out of state accomplishments.
-Hope this helps

I guess it was the word "several" as opposed to maybe one. I guess i also thought you seemed to be referring to previous or predicted AAA state champs versus previous or predicted AA/A state champs being in the finals and thus the term super champion for the stste tournament. I agree with the idea of the quality of wrestlers in the 182 pound weight class, even with the number one ranked 182 wrestler bumping up to 195 pounds. I just couldn't follow the thinking I was inquiring about. No deposition issued. Just a friendly discussion. If i get something wrong just let me know and I'll just sày my mistake.

Curious spectator

Postby Curious spectator » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:34 pm

What happened to Eads from St Albans at 132 with injury default?
Last edited by Curious spectator on Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:19 am

Results anywhere?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:52 pm

Letsgooo wrote:Results anywhere?

Scores section
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Return to “High School Wrestling”