Dutton Award 2022

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Dutton Award 2022

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:27 am

After the WSAZ has concluded and we have one month of wrestling left, who is the front runner for the Dutton Award?

Names and why?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

realsouthfaninpburg

Re: Dutton Award 2022

Postby realsouthfaninpburg » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:42 am

I think it will be a tie between 14 wrestlers and they are;
106-Reese Kelley
113-Mackiah Claudio
120-Brent Bosley
126-Noah Dulaney
132-Ryan Martin
138-Trenton Jones
145-Kyle Wheeler
152-Jude Childers
160-Robert Shockey
170-Gage Wright
182-Aydan Edwards
195-Ayden Morris
220-Brycen Arthur
285-Elijah Wheeler

Because they are the starters on the best team in the history of West Virginia High School Wrestling; PARKERSBURG SOUTH !!!!!

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:13 am

Bearhugger wrote:After the WSAZ has concluded and we have one month of wrestling left, who is the front runner for the Dutton Award?

Names and why?

First my reason why.
Last year i felt it should have been Bartee. since he had a current season win over Quiocho (GQ) 2-1 at WSAZ. And he then went on to win his 3rd title.
South fans argued that it should be GQ based on the rest of his wins and career as he would go on to win his 4th title.

GQ would then go on to win the Dutton. While this isn't who I would have picked I understand and still think it was an awesome career capper.

This year anyone from PS who made the argument for GQ should be making that same argument for one of the potential 4timers we could have this year. Between those potentials I would say Raike based on his career and the success he is having this year.

I'm sure some South fans will now say it is a season award and it should go to Wright. He bumped up and wrestled a great tournament and fantastic final. (that was a fun one to watch!)

So this all goes back to the old question. Is it a season award or career award? Based on last year, it is a career award and the award SHOULD go to Raike (assuming he continues, nothing weird happens, and he wins a 4th title)

When the dust is settled I think we will all see that this award is given by a single newspaper in wood county so if an argument can be made for a wood county athlete that is where it will go.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:45 am

I have a different spin
If it is a season award then it goes to Raike. Derek outperformed Gage at Fargo, Ironman, and Powerade.
If it is a career award then we look back to last year when Gage whipped Derek twice.

Either way both are very good representatives of WV wrestling.

TheBoxer

Postby TheBoxer » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:09 pm

mscoach57 wrote:I have a different spin
If it is a season award then it goes to Raike. Derek outperformed Gage at Fargo, Ironman, and Powerade.
If it is a career award then we look back to last year when Gage whipped Derek twice.

Granted there was a pin. but if you recall that pin was in OT
the other was a 3-2 victory.

Both were solid wins but "Whipped"?! if you say so...

Southpaw999

Postby Southpaw999 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm

Why is this even a question right now?

Who is currently the more dominant wrestler, Raike or Wright? Last time I checked Wright is dropping weight classes to chase national ranked wrestlers and bumping up weight classes to beat state champions. If they were to wrestle best of 3 who wins? Doesnt matter if its an OT win or 1 pt. Its a win.

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:43 pm

Southpaw999 wrote:Why is this even a question right now?

Who is currently the more dominant wrestler, Raike or Wright? Last time I checked Wright is dropping weight classes to chase national ranked wrestlers and bumping up weight classes to beat state champions. If they were to wrestle best of 3 who wins? Doesnt matter if its an OT win or 1 pt. Its a win.

Guess a 3rd place finish at Iron Man, 6th place finish at Powerade, and a #17 national ranking isn't dominant, huh, Mr. Shahan?

ringworm14

Postby ringworm14 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:45 pm

mscoach57 wrote:I have a different spin

So what about last year when Bartee won his 3rd state title and also defeated Quiocho head to head? Who should've won the award last year? Same career trajectory as far as state titles go, but there was a head to head there... and in the same season as well...

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:18 pm

I gotta ask ya. What part of Derek’s career has not been dominant?? He’s 162-5 three losses to top 10 kids and two to gage in which one was contraversial to say the least. 99% of his matches are techs and pins. U must be a moron to make that statement.

Southpaw999

Postby Southpaw999 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 pm

oroyos wrote:

I gotta ask ya. What part of Derek’s career has not been dominant?? He’s 162-5 three losses to top 10 kids and two to gage in which one was contraversial to say the least. 99% of his matches are techs and pins. U must be a moron to make that statement.

A moron to make what statement? I didn't say either one was. Just asking and making a case for Gage. You chimed to let us know that Raike is 0-2 against Gage. Who's the moron!
162-5 is a great career but from what I read in your statement I learned that Raike isnt quite good enough to beat Wright!? Thanks for your input.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 pm

Who is currently the more dominant wrestler, Raike or Wright? Raike.
Raike placed at Fargo. Wright did not.
Raike placed higher than Wright at Ironman.
Raike placed at Powerade. Wright cut weight and got away from the guys who beat him at Ironman but still ran into a buzz saw at the lower weight and didn’t place at Powerade.

So since you asked, this season’s results show that Raike is the more dominant wrestler.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:22 am

The word on the street is Wright wanted to cut down and challenge Spring Mills' Dolan but he doesn't have enough weigh ins.

Based on the comments so far, it appears to only be a two man race. Raike and Wright.

Southpaw999

Postby Southpaw999 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:12 am

oroyos wrote:

A moron to make what statement? I didn't say either one was. Just asking and making a case for Gage. You chimed to let us know that Raike is 0-2 against Gage. Who's the moron!
162-5 with 99% tech/ pin is a great career but from what I read in your statement I learned that Raike has a 0% win rate against Gage, who accounts for 40% of his losses.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:48 pm

Southpaw999 wrote:
oroyos wrote:

162-5 with 99% tech/ pin is a great career but from what I read in your statement I learned that Raike has a 0% win rate against Gage, who accounts for 40% of his losses.

Derek and gage have went back and forth for years winning and losing to each other. The last few matches they’ve had shouldn’t define a career.

slaw man

Postby slaw man » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Raike is the answer

Wright has had a fantastic year and the win at WSAZ was impressive, but Raike has had the better season.

Southpaw999

Postby Southpaw999 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:46 pm

oroyos wrote:
Southpaw999 wrote:
oroyos wrote:I gotta ask ya. What part of Derek’s career has not been dominant?? He’s 162-5 three losses to top 10 kids and two to gage in which one was contraversial to say the least. 99% of his matches are techs and pins. U must be a moron to make that statement.

Derek and gage have went back and forth for years winning and losing to each other. The last few matches they’ve had shouldn’t define a career.

Going back and fourth for years has been what made them better. No one will deny that, but how much of that going back and fourth really counts towards a high school award? "What part of Dereks career isnt dominant?" Since Wright has entered high school, Has Raike beat him? In reality, comparing across weight classes is like comparing apples to oranges unless a wrestler goes out of their comfort zone jumping a weight class looking for competition.
mscoach57, I like your input on both season and career. You make a lot of valid points on both....does anyone really know which it is? Was kinda what I was looking for before I was called a moron by the same guy that said Raike hasn't beat right since they both entered high school. If its a career award I don't see anyone digging back into who won more Jr state championships to see they went back and fourth when they were 10. If it's a season award, as mscoach57 said, Raikes having a better season based on specific tournaments.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:51 pm

It appears the arguments for both men are equaling out.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:15 pm

Anybody else gained any notoriety in recent weeks and been added to the Dutton Discussion?

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:19 pm

Both are great but I would give the nod to Raike. Or … can we have a tie?
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:08 pm

Now what does everybody think?

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:16 am

Give it to the senior.

What will Raike wrestle in college? He looked heavy at 160. No clue how tall he is. Looks like. 149lber to me.

Did he ever wrestle Roberts, Rea, or Hall when a Raike was a sophomore or freshman?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:34 am

Letsgooo wrote:Give it to the senior.

What will Raike wrestle in college? He looked heavy at 160. No clue how tall he is. Looks like. 149lber to me.

Did he ever wrestle Roberts, Rea, or Hall when a Raike was a sophomore or freshman?

Raike didn't wrestle Roberts, Rea or Hall in a regular high school match.

oroyos

Postby oroyos » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:35 am

Bearhugger wrote:

Raike didn't wrestle Roberts, Rea or Hall in a regular high school match.

Good chance he will catch one of them next year in college! (149)

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:56 pm

Raike will be attending school far enough from Village Pizza that getting down to 149 should be no problem.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:48 am

Raike will win it for sure. Guaranteed

Return to “High School Wrestling”