Big 10 Conference Tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
standincoach

Big 10 Conference Tournament

Postby standincoach » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:40 pm

Just trying to get a grasp of WV HS wrestling. Conference has nothing to do with AAA and AA/A? For instance, Bridgeport and Preston are AAA but in a conference with AA/A schools? Does this conference tournament have any relation to post season seedings? If so, how if you have AAA schools

beachbum1234

Re: Big 10 Conference Tournament

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:04 pm

standincoach wrote:Just trying to get a grasp of WV HS wrestling. Conference has nothing to do with AAA and AA/A? For instance, Bridgeport and Preston are AAA but in a conference with AA/A schools? Does this conference tournament have any relation to post season seedings? If so, how if you have AAA schools

I may be stating something obvious but, take Bridgeport and Preston, they are in the same AAA region. If any of their wrestlers match up during the tournament they then have a head to head criteria for seeding, also Common Opponent could come into play as well.

BeePositive

Postby BeePositive » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:58 pm

You're over thinking it. The Big 10 Tournament is nothing different than an open tournament for the area schools to compete. The same question could be posed for the WSAZ, Winners Choice or OVAC where a single A competitor could meet a AAA or AAAA opponent or even an out of state wrestler.

KDunbar

Postby KDunbar » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:34 pm

Just to avoid confusion, there is no AAAA class.

Ol'Dad

Postby Ol'Dad » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:08 pm

Any updates

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:42 pm

BeePositive wrote:You're over thinking it. The Big 10 Tournament is nothing different than an open tournament for the area schools to compete. The same question could be posed for the WSAZ, Winners Choice or OVAC where a single A competitor could meet a AAA or AAAA opponent or even an out of state wrestler.

Maybe I’m confusing the meaning of the word conference as it relates to sports or maybe West Virginia has its own definition of what conference means?

WVU

Postby WVU » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:29 pm

Just to avoid confusion, there is no AAAA class.

The OVAC Conference (of which the poster was referencing) recognizes 5 classes: A, 2A, 3A, 4A, & 5A: https://www.ovac.org/Standings/Details/485

In the state of WV, there are only 3 recognized classes for wrestling: AAA, AA, & A with AA & A being grouped together in one state tournament.

Also in the state of WV, there are 4 recognized classes for boys & girls basketball at the moment, a WVSSAC experiment at the moment that could eventually end up as a permanent classification in those sports and/or other sports as well.

As for the Big 10, the teams are joined more so by geographic location as opposed to classification, as over the years some teams have either dropped from AAA to AA permanently or go back and forth on occasion. As schools are reclassified by enrollment every 4 years, Bridgeport has historically bounced back and forth from AA & AAA while others (Marion County schools, Lewis County, Elkins) all used to be AAA but have all dropped to AA within the past 15 years. Some could bump back up to AAA, but due to close proximity / short travel times it makes sense for all schools involved to remain as conference members, at least for now.

And yes, the 3 AAA schools (Bridgeport, Buckhannon, & Preston) compete in the same regional, so any head-to-head or common opponent matchups that result from the Big 10 conference tournament do help with regional seeding.

Hope that helps answer your questions, @standincoach

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:23 am

All conference tournaments in WV are nothing more than a get together to wrestle. The OVAC is the exception. The MSAC can be tough at times.

The Coalfield Conference is almost a 100% preview of AA/A Region 3. I understand that Woodrow Wilson will be participating in the Coalfield Conference this season. That should add some excitement.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:24 am

Bearhugger wrote:All conference tournaments in WV are nothing more than a get together to wrestle. The OVAC is the exception. The MSAC can be tough at times.

The Coalfield Conference is almost a 100% preview of AA/A Region 3. I understand that Woodrow Wilson will be participating in the Coalfield Conference this season. That should add some excitement.

Conference tournaments are a little more than just "a get together to wrestle". Ask the coaches and wrestlers how they feel about coming out as team and/or individual champions of their conference... regardless of which conference it might be.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:32 pm

matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:All conference tournaments in WV are nothing more than a get together to wrestle. The OVAC is the exception. The MSAC can be tough at times.

Conference tournaments are a little more than just "a get together to wrestle". Ask the coaches and wrestlers how they feel about coming out as team and/or individual champions of their conference... regardless of which conference it might be.

I would rather ask certain coaches to post their schedule or the results of their matches.

coach_stump

Postby coach_stump » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:32 pm

Bearhugger, I disagree that conference tournaments mean more than a get together, especially in the LKC. This conference has rich and proud existence, one of the earliest and longest running conference tournaments in WV. Years past, if you were in the finals of this event, you were one of the states best. I always told my wrestlers that when you wrestled in this tourney, you were wrestling for school pride. We get to regions, you are wrestling for your right to enter the state tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:25 pm

coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, I disagree that conference tournaments mean more than a get together, especially in the LKC. This conference has rich and proud existence, one of the earliest and longest running conference tournaments in WV. Years past, if you were in the finals of this event, you were one of the states best. I always told my wrestlers that when you wrestled in this tourney, you were wrestling for school pride. We get to regions, you are wrestling for your right to enter the state tournament.

Well Coach Stump, let me respond before you get upset with me again.

1. Back in the early 80s, I read about the LKC in the West Virginia Wrestler Newspaper at age 15. I vividly recall how the top wrestlers in the LKC were the same wrestlers in the top 3 in the AA/A State Tournament.

2. Fast Forward to the past couple of years, I heard some of my friends from Wirt County talking about how at one time "if you won the LKC, you were probably going to win the state".

3. What is happening today and tomorrow is much, much more important than the days of the past. Here is what is happening as of this writing. A. I reviewed the "What's New" Section of WVMat from today through mid December. After looking twice, I could not find any information about where the LKC Tournament is located, what time it starts, etc. B. I read through the tournament schedule on the front page of WVMat twice and could not find any information regarding the LKC. C. I then looked at the team schedules and I decided I would look at Wirt County. It isn't posted. D. I then started looking for another team, I selected Williamstown and LOW AND BEHOLD, Williamstown's schedule says LKC @ home. I finally discovered the location of the LKC.

4. We need to start today rebuilding what used to be so in 20 years from now, somebody has something to talk about in terms of rich history back 20 years ago in 2022.

5. I had a parent tell me that WVMat used to be the central place where all WV wrestling information can be found. Today, it is an actual HUNT to find schedules, scores and even a list of teams that are attending an upcoming tournament.

6. The LKC is typically a tough, solid tournament. My oversight.

7. I had a parent tell me that WVMat used to be the central place where all WV wrestling information can be found. Today, it is an actual HUNT to find schedules, scores and even a list of teams that are attending an upcoming tournament.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:10 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_stump wrote:Bearhugger, I disagree that conference tournaments mean more than a get together, especially in the LKC. This conference has rich and proud existence, one of the earliest and longest running conference tournaments in WV. Years past, if you were in the finals of this event, you were one of the states best. I always told my wrestlers that when you wrestled in this tourney, you were wrestling for school pride. We get to regions, you are wrestling for your right to enter the state tournament.

1. Back in the early 80s, I read about the LKC in the West Virginia Wrestler Newspaper at age 15. I vividly recall how the top wrestlers in the LKC were the same wrestlers in the top 3 in the AA/A State Tournament.

2. Fast Forward to the past couple of years, I heard some of my friends from Wirt County talking about how at one time "if you won the LKC, you were probably going to win the state".

3. What is happening today and tomorrow is much, much more important than the days of the past. Here is what is happening as of this writing. A. I reviewed the "What's New" Section of WVMat from today through mid December. After looking twice, I could not find any information about where the LKC Tournament is located, what time it starts, etc. B. I read through the tournament schedule on the front page of WVMat twice and could not find any information regarding the LKC. C. I then looked at the team schedules and I decided I would look at Wirt County. It isn't posted. D. I then started looking for another team, I selected Williamstown and LOW AND BEHOLD, Williamstown's schedule says LKC @ home. I finally discovered the location of the LKC.

4. We need to start today rebuilding what used to be so in 20 years from now, somebody has something to talk about in terms of rich history back 20 years ago in 2022.

5. I had a parent tell me that WVMat used to be the central place where all WV wrestling information can be found. Today, it is an actual HUNT to find schedules, scores and even a list of teams that are attending an upcoming tournament.

7. I had a parent tell me that WVMat used to be the central place where all WV wrestling information can be found. Today, it is an actual HUNT to find schedules, scores and even a list of teams that are attending an upcoming tournament.

So just because teams aren't posting information on WVMAT, conference tournaments don't mean as much... they are little more than just a get together to wrestle? Am I missing something here? Because that makes no sense to me.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

So just because teams aren't posting information on WVMAT, conference tournaments don't mean as much... they are little more than just a get together to wrestle? Am I missing something here? Because that makes no sense to me.

You place importance where you as an individual places it. Even on the same team some guys may highlight the state tournament where others may think it is just another wrestling match because they participate in much larger tournaments with tougher competition. Conference tournaments are what they are.

matcoach90

Postby matcoach90 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:14 pm

beachbum1234 wrote:
matcoach90 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

You place importance where you as an individual places it. Even on the same team some guys may highlight the state tournament where others may think it is just another wrestling match because they participate in much larger tournaments with tougher competition. Conference tournaments are what they are.

I don't know too many wrestlers who don't place importance on winning/placing for every tournament.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Bearhugger wrote:

I would agree that the LKC is no longer a barometer of state wrestling standing and I also agree that it is WAY to difficult to find information for some/ not all tournaments/duals .. for example the flyer for the upcoming Winfield tourney doesn’t even have the venue listed . One would assume that it’s at Winfield High. Pitiful .

standincoach

Postby standincoach » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:12 pm

T

R

A

C

K

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:50 pm

standincoach wrote:T