Rest In Peace Gator

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
timamos

Rest In Peace Gator

Postby timamos » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:01 am

Steve Gates “Gator” passed away at home this morning. Gator was active on the wvmat forum, at one time serving as a moderator. An unapologetic Parkersburg South fanatic Gator appreciated good wrestling and good stories. He was proud of his friendships with coaches, officials, wrestlers, and fans from all over the state. He will be missed by the South and West Virginia wrestling community. Please say a prayer for his wife Joan, daughter Heather, and the absolute love of his life his grandson Cayden.

3Count

Re: Rest In Peace Gator

Postby 3Count » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 am

Condolences to the family!

wiseone

Postby wiseone » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:43 am

"Gator"

God Bless his family and keep them in your hearts and prayers. I can't say anything here that I haven't already said to him.

RIP my friend. I'll always look for you in "the 22nd row"

aacoach92

Postby aacoach92 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:47 am

Sorry to hear this...Prayers to the family.

forthekids

Postby forthekids » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am

Words can not express enough. Gator was one of a kind and a true wrestling fan. I agree with wise one. I will always be looking up to the 22nd row. The sport has lost deeply in last year :cry:

Jeremy Callen

Postby Jeremy Callen » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:01 am

Gator you will be missed by many of us in the wrestling community. I’ll never forget our conversations. You and George Keeney can show share endless stories together. Rest In Peace my friend.

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:31 am

Horrible news … will b missed

shaggy71

Postby shaggy71 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:42 am

RIP Gator!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:45 am

This is such devastating news. Gator lived for wrestling and for his family, especially Cayden.

Gator may have gotten into some spirited debates with adults here on the forum, but when it came to kids ALL OVER the state, he loved those kids like they were his grandkids, and he was always so full of encouraging words. I'm sure there are countless wrestlers who can tell a story or two about Gator coming up to them and introducing himself and then praising and encouraging them.

Gator, Buddy, you will be missed by more people than you can ever imagine. Thank you for touching the lives of these young people with your friendship, your kind words, and your encouragement. Rest in peace.
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

JMfan

Postby JMfan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:55 am

Such terrible news. Gator was one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. He treated my kids and me with such respect and encouragement. I remember when one of my sons beat a South wrestler in a very intense match. Gator came over to my son and sat down beside him and congratulated my son, then he had a great conversation with him. The passing of Gator will leave many holes in the wrestling community. Gator sent me a Facebook message just a couple weeks ago telling me how proud he is of another one of my sons that wrestles for John Marshall. I had so much respect and love for you Gator. Rest In Peace buddy.

Campion

Postby Campion » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 pm

RIP my friend, Gator!

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:42 pm

We truly lost one of the very best this morning. Gator’s friendship is something I will always treasure. We talked frequently but only got together a few times a year to share a meal and then watch wrestling. Steve was one of the kindest, most selfless guys I ever had the privilege of knowing. He loved the sport and the lessons it taught to kids. You will be forever missed Gator.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

realsouthfaninpburg

Postby realsouthfaninpburg » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 pm

I went to college with Gator and we were on the same team in the intermural basketball league for 2 years in a row which we won both years. He was a pretty good basketball player. he and I were the best players on our team. last year we went together to a few out of town wrestling matches and had a lot of fun. he was a very good friend of mine. this is horrible, he will be very missed by me and hundreds of other people. God bless you GATOR !!!!! your pal for ever, Mike

gridironmike

Postby gridironmike » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:28 pm

Condolences to Gator's family. There isn't a user on this board that hasn't enjoyed his banter over the years. Prayers to his loved ones.

timamos

Postby timamos » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:14 pm

Leavitt’s Funeral Home
403 7th St
Parkersburg WV 26101
Visitation Wednesday 2-4, 6-8
service Thursday 11 am with interment at Sunset afterward

JR080502

Postby JR080502 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:29 pm

Gator was the greatest fan of Parkersburg South wrestling and then the rest of WV wrestlers. He followed all WV wrestlers from middle school, high school and college. He always talked with and supported all WV wrestlers and his questions to coaches and parents was never about would we beat PHS then Wheeling Park, it was alway how bad would we beat them? I don't believe I can type enough words to say how much he and his family meant to the wrestling family of PSHS and the WV wrestling community. God rest his sole and I hope he entered the gates in a head lock just for the laughs of all the wrestling fans before him! "Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Return to “High School Wrestling”