AA/A 145 Pill Scenario Discussion

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

AA/A 145 Pill Scenario Discussion

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:03 pm

If you think rankings, seedings, past performance and a successful season doesn't matter, then I suggest you stop reading this post now, hop on your unicorn, gallop out to California and use non-offensive language to miraculously unload the cargo ships we never hear about anymore.

Otherwise, keep reading and add to this discussion.

The AA/A 145 pound weight class is one of the top points of discussion.

1. 145 has a returning 3x state champion that is not ranked first. This same wrestler was a returning 3x WSAZ champion that finished 4th in the WSAZ.

2. Using the WVMat/Coaches' rankings, the top four 145s are Price, Bartee, Harris and Parsons.

3. Going back to Bear Tracks Preseason posted November 30th and before the actual wrestling began, Bartee, Price and Parsons were the top 145s and Harris was #2 at 152 (behind Raike). Harris of course has now dropped to 145.

4. Rankings are built from results. Regardless of what ever rankings you use, they all agree that the top FOUR are Price, Bartee, Parsons and Harris. These four have been the top four all season long.

5. Below are different discussions based on what Pill gets selected. Furthermore, these discussions are based on the fact that Harris is the region 1 champion, Price is the region 3 champion, Bartee is the region 4 champion and Parsons is the region 4 runner up.

PILL 1:

Pill 1 places Harris and Parsons in the top bracket. These are your #3 and #4 ranked 145s. Parsons would hit the Region 2 Champion from Parts Unknown in the quarterfinals. Pill 1 also sets up a Price vs Bartee rematch in the semifinals. Your #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers meet in the semifinals. Point Pleasant vs Independence. When the smoke clears in the team race, Point, Indy, Fairmont Senior and Braxton County should be your top four in some kind of order (I am not implying any order). Does a semifinal match of this nature hurt a team's point standing?

If Pill 1 happens, then I predict the grumblings for separating #1 and #2 will ramp back up. I still scratch my head as to why it takes 2, 3, 4, 5+ years to implement an easy change................but hey, WTF do I know? I wasn't a state champion 38 years ago.

PILL 2:

Pill 2 keeps things simpler for the wrestling elites. Harris and Bartee would be in the top bracket on course for a semifinal showdown. Price and Parsons would hit in the quarterfinals. HOWEVER, if Parsons pulls off an upset in region 4 and defeats Bartee, then we would see PRICE VS BARTEE in the quarterfinals. WOW!!! Parsons and Bartee have not met up this season. Parsons is coming off a big LKC Conference win and was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pill 3:

If things play out as expected, Pill 3 presents another problem. Pill 3 puts Harris, Price and Parsons all three in the top bracket. Bartee would be down in the bottom away from the higher ranked wrestlers.

Summary:

Although we all have had pill scenario discussions in the past, have we ever sat down and put it down on paper like this before? I haven't. Now that I have, I wonder why there is a pill scenario that puts 3 out of the top 4 on the same side but only does in one single combination??? IF THERE WAS A PILL 4, would the deck be stacked against the region 4 champion with 3 out of the top 4 on his side? Where is Pill #4???

PS: It would be something if the region 2 champion has four "on any given day moments" and wins a state title.

Enjoy!!!!
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Jchap8750

Re: AA/A 145 Pill Scenario Discussion

Postby Jchap8750 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:30 pm

It’s time for the pill to go. As small as WV is all the coaches know who is who. Let the coaches argue it out and try to do their best to seed the top 6 or 8. It’s not going to be perfect all the time but having the 2 best wrestlers meet in the semis or even quarters year after year needs to change. For some kids losing their first match on purpose would create an easier path to placing not that many wrestlers would do that. How many more years will this go on?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:41 pm

Jchap8750 wrote:It’s time for the pill to go. As small as WV is all the coaches know who is who. Let the coaches argue it out and try to do their best to seed the top 6 or 8. It’s not going to be perfect all the time but having the 2 best wrestlers meet in the semis or even quarters year after year needs to change. For some kids losing their first match on purpose would create an easier path to placing not that many wrestlers would do that. How many more years will this go on?

Sir, I appreciate and respect your input.

Disclaimer, we at Bear Tracks are focused on what is best for wrestling. We are not pro-pill nor are we anti-pill. We are pro best practice.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:34 am

Upon further review, perhaps everything will work out differently. :)

Campion

Postby Campion » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:36 am

Bearhugger wrote:If you think rankings, seedings, past performance and a successful season doesn't matter, then I suggest you stop reading this post now, hop on your unicorn, gallop out to California and use non-offensive language to miraculously unload the cargo ships we never hear about anymore.

Otherwise, keep reading and add to this discussion.

The AA/A 145 pound weight class is one of the top points of discussion.

1. 145 has a returning 3x state champion that is not ranked first. This same wrestler was a returning 3x WSAZ champion that finished 4th in the WSAZ.

2. Using the WVMat/Coaches' rankings, the top four 145s are Price, Bartee, Harris and Parsons.

3. Going back to Bear Tracks Preseason posted November 30th and before the actual wrestling began, Bartee, Price and Parsons were the top 145s and Harris was #2 at 152 (behind Raike). Harris of course has now dropped to 145.

4. Rankings are built from results. Regardless of what ever rankings you use, they all agree that the top FOUR are Price, Bartee, Parsons and Harris. These four have been the top four all season long.

5. Below are different discussions based on what Pill gets selected. Furthermore, these discussions are based on the fact that Harris is the region 1 champion, Price is the region 3 champion, Bartee is the region 4 champion and Parsons is the region 4 runner up.

PILL 1:

Pill 1 places Harris and Parsons in the top bracket. These are your #3 and #4 ranked 145s. Parsons would hit the Region 2 Champion from Parts Unknown in the quarterfinals. Pill 1 also sets up a Price vs Bartee rematch in the semifinals. Your #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers meet in the semifinals. Point Pleasant vs Independence. When the smoke clears in the team race, Point, Indy, Fairmont Senior and Braxton County should be your top four in some kind of order (I am not implying any order). Does a semifinal match of this nature hurt a team's point standing?

If Pill 1 happens, then I predict the grumblings for separating #1 and #2 will ramp back up. I still scratch my head as to why it takes 2, 3, 4, 5+ years to implement an easy change................but hey, WTF do I know? I wasn't a state champion 38 years ago.

PILL 2:

Pill 2 keeps things simpler for the wrestling elites. Harris and Bartee would be in the top bracket on course for a semifinal showdown. Price and Parsons would hit in the quarterfinals. HOWEVER, if Parsons pulls off an upset in region 4 and defeats Bartee, then we would see PRICE VS BARTEE in the quarterfinals. WOW!!! Parsons and Bartee have not met up this season. Parsons is coming off a big LKC Conference win and was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Pill 3:

If things play out as expected, Pill 3 presents another problem. Pill 3 puts Harris, Price and Parsons all three in the top bracket. Bartee would be down in the bottom away from the higher ranked wrestlers.

Summary:

Although :D :D we all have had pill scenario discussions in the past, have we ever sat down and put it down on paper like this before? I haven't. Now that I have, I wonder why there is a pill scenario that puts 3 out of the top 4 on the same side but only does in one single combination??? IF THERE WAS A PILL 4, would the deck be stacked against the region 4 champion with 3 out of the top 4 on his side? Where is Pill #4???

PS: It would be something if the region 2 champion has four "on any given day moments" and wins a state title.

Enjoy!!!!

Let them wrestle… (take a breath)

Return to “High School Wrestling”