Regional Seeding Criteria

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Regional Seeding Criteria

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:34 pm

Is it time to update the regional seeding criteria?

Is the current criteria geared more toward what has happened during the current season or does the criteria allow for the coaches to go back 1, 2 or 7 years?

As the regional seeding meetings take place and the brackets trickle in, I have been looking at he seeds and how they relate to the COACHES' rankings.

I must say everything matches up except for one that has blown my mind.

AA/A Region 2 at 152 reminds me of the CC Music Factory's song "Things that make me go Hmmmmmmmm".

Please allow me to lay this out for review:

1. AA/A Region 2 152 bracket has Liberty Harrison's Childers as #1 seed, Lewis County's Bush #2 and Braxton County's Bennett #3.

2. The WVMat Coaches' Rankings has Bush #4, Bennett #5 and Childers is not in the top 8.

3. On February 5th, the Big 10 Conference was held. Based on the results, Bush won the 152 lb Big 10 Championship. Childers came in THIRD.

As a ranker myself, I review a lot of scores. I attend a lot of matches. I have seen Bush and Bennet live many times. I have come across their names in many results of many wrestling events. These two have simply wrestled a much tougher schedule!!! Bush and Childers finally got under the same roof at the Big 10.

Somebody please provide meaning to this situation. I simply want to learn. Thank you!!!!!

PS: Although once blind, I now see how important these conference tournaments are. They can provide checks and balances for either regional seeding OR the need for revised regional seeding criteria.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

guard0544

Re: Regional Seeding Criteria

Postby guard0544 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:25 pm

My best guess is Childers didn’t lose head to head to Bush at B10, and has beat someone this year who Bush lost to, so they had no head to head and each had a common opponent win over each other? Neither placed at states (at least not last year). Childers top seed based on season win/loss record?

Campion

Postby Campion » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:36 pm

guard0544 wrote:My best guess is Childers didn’t lose head to head to Bush at B10, and has beat someone this year who Bush lost to, so they had no head to head and each had a common opponent win over each other? Neither placed at states (at least not last year). Childers top seed based on season win/loss record?

If Bush won Big 10 tournament wouldn’t he have had to beat the runner-up which beat Childers, probably in the Semis. That would be a common opponent.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:38 pm

guard0544 wrote:My best guess is Childers didn’t lose head to head to Bush at B10, and has beat someone this year who Bush lost to, so they had no head to head and each had a common opponent win over each other? Neither placed at states (at least not last year). Childers top seed based on season win/loss record?

They did not match up at Big Tens and didn't wrestle a common opponent there either. Bush was the 1 seed at Big Tens though. Bush did win it and Childers lost to Michaels Fairmont Senior first round. Michaels lost to Bohnsack B-U, who then lost to Bush. Childers did end up avenging the loss to get 3rd.

I believe Childers has 1 loss on the season and Bush has 3? Bush's losses were I believe at Winner's Choice and WSAZ's, so you may be able to check all that on the WVmat results page.

guard0544

Postby guard0544 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:50 am

Campion wrote:

If Bush won Big 10 tournament wouldn’t he have had to beat the runner-up which beat Childers, probably in the Semis. That would be a common opponent.

That is the logic I used when I said they maybe each had a common opponent win over each other. But as someone posted after my post, Childers lost first round to someone who lost in the semi so the person who defeated him did not subsequently get beat by Bush. With no head to head or common opponent losses, Childers prevailed with a better win percentage for the season.

Campion

Postby Campion » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 am

guard0544 wrote:
Campion wrote:

That is the logic I used when I said they maybe each had a common opponent win over each other. But as someone posted after my post, Childers lost first round to someone who lost in the semi so the person who defeated him did not subsequently get beat by Bush. With no head to head or common opponent losses, Childers prevailed with a better win percentage for the season.

I saw that. He never wrestled the conference champion or runner up at the Big 10 tournament.

Return to “High School Wrestling”