Primary reason for WVMAT forum?

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
beachbum1234

Primary reason for WVMAT forum?

Postby beachbum1234 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:06 am

Of topic for the time of year, but I guess I am asking for some clarification. What are your primary reasons for using this forum?

I have seen some examples. I have also notice the forum and its users has kind of decreased. Maybe I am wrong.

Bearhugger

Re: Primary reason for WVMAT forum?

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:22 am

beachbum1234 wrote:Of topic for the time of year, but I guess I am asking for some clarification. What are your primary reasons for using this forum?

I have seen some examples. I have also notice the forum and its users has kind of decreased. Maybe I am wrong.

Communication, discussion, recognition, fun, reading, etc.

Some users step away from wrestling as their kids step away from wrestling.

Should it be shut down so this country can continue toward the direction of North Korea?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:33 am

Bearhugger wrote:
beachbum1234 wrote:Of topic for the time of year, but I guess I am asking for some clarification. What are your primary reasons for using this forum?

Communication, discussion, recognition, fun, reading, etc.

Some users step away from wrestling as their kids step away from wrestling.

Should it be shut down so this country can continue toward the direction of North Korea?

It's a legitimate question. With cancel culture being what it is these days, I would say, that has something to do with the decrease in activity. Other's I know personally hate this forum because of how mouthy individuals can get. I too have stepped away for some time just to breath for a second. It needs a face lift and updated. Something, I personally hate about the forum is people hide behind usernames and you don't know who they are until they come up to you and introduce themselves as who they are on the forum. Not everyone is like that but many are and most don't let it be known who they are. They like to be anonymous which I guess is fine, I just don't like it. I know a lot of coaches that have had a bad experience on here and kids do as well. Part of that is how well it is moderated. Keep in mind that the moderators are people too and have opinions themselves. No one is truly unbiased. I myself, have a love hate relationship with this forum. As far as purpose, it is a place for people to share their thoughts in a meaningful environment. Unfortunately, there are times that individuals take it too far and spoil a good thing for everyone. But for the most part, it's not too bad. Whether it has an impact on decision making, I have no idea. I don't know if the decision makers even look at the forum anymore because I believe they have become disillusioned with it. I think that might have been the original intent, to give fans a voice for those making decisions to listen too. So the armchair quarterbacks could get their moment of praise or pound of flesh so to speak. JMO

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:46 am

It helps me keep up with what is happening in WV wrestling. I live in South Carolina now so the forum gives me insight into what is going on. A lot of teams dont post scores, things also happen in matches that cant be seen in the score sheets, so it kind of fills in the blanks for me. After being out of WV wrestling for a while the smack talk back and forth doesnt really bother me and seems to be a lot more toned down that it was 5-10 years ago. If we didnt have the forum I wouldnt have known Gator passed away. We have had some heated conversations but that is what makes the forum fun. I think many people take it too personally. Life is too short to take something some mysterious person said on the internet to heart.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:47 pm

armyscot0873 wrote:It helps me keep up with what is happening in WV wrestling. I live in South Carolina now so the forum gives me insight into what is going on. A lot of teams dont post scores, things also happen in matches that cant be seen in the score sheets, so it kind of fills in the blanks for me. After being out of WV wrestling for a while the smack talk back and forth doesnt really bother me and seems to be a lot more toned down that it was 5-10 years ago. If we didnt have the forum I wouldnt have known Gator passed away. We have had some heated conversations but that is what makes the forum fun. I think many people take it too personally. Life is too short to take something some mysterious person said on the internet to heart.

What city in SC are you in?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:50 pm

The forum is like the pill, seeding, rankings and the Bugtussle Classic. It will never be perfect.

Panther_coach

Postby Panther_coach » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:30 pm

The website and the forum in particular used to have a great many more users. There was an instance when Dr. Miller had to essentially start over with a new version of software and a new look. Sadly, many of the great posters did not migrate to the new setup. People can complain about this site and forum but I can assure you it is much, much better than many states have. Usage has declined for sure, and that is a shame. Team pages and conference pages used to be updated regularly, almost every single score was posted and this forum was a lively place indeed. Hopefully, it will get back to that. I am not on as much as I used to be since I retired from coaching after the 2010-2011 season and am now past 70. Many of our younger folk rely on social media more than websites and forums. All the work Doc has done over the years has been vital to the growth of our sport and he deserves high praise.
After all is said and done, all was said and done!
I have retired but not expired!

Campion

Postby Campion » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Collaboration and Information Sharing.

armyscot0873

Postby armyscot0873 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:38 am

Bearhugger I am in Summerville, just outside of Charleston.

beachbum1234

Postby beachbum1234 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:30 pm

Panther_coach wrote:The website and the forum in particular used to have a great many more users. There was an instance when Dr. Miller had to essentially start over with a new version of software and a new look. Sadly, many of the great posters did not migrate to the new setup. People can complain about this site and forum but I can assure you it is much, much better than many states have. Usage has declined for sure, and that is a shame. Team pages and conference pages used to be updated regularly, almost every single score was posted and this forum was a lively place indeed. Hopefully, it will get back to that. I am not on as much as I used to be since I retired from coaching after the 2010-2011 season and am now past 70. Many of our younger folk rely on social media more than websites and forums. All the work Doc has done over the years has been vital to the growth of our sport and he deserves high praise.

The social media thing is a great point. Is there a centralized Facebook page? Instagram? Twitter?

This forum is still the hub in my mind. The topics seem to get one sided and tend to be a lot of complaining. I really like seeing where topics talk about kids who aren’t the top guy (they tend to deservedly get the most recognition). Love to see some more positive stories on here, from places and teams we don’t always hear about.

Letsgooo

Postby Letsgooo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 pm

Man this site is acting strange. Hard to get logged in. I just come here for wrestling info and results. Love the beartrackers or whatever it’s called.
Hope it stays the way it is. Definitely not a fan of social media and don’t have any. Which is obviously a rarity now days when coaches won’t even call you and tell you when practice or games are, you’re supposed to just check whatever social media they’re using at the time. Hate it.

Return to “High School Wrestling”