Updated WSAZ Seeds

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
admin
Site Admin

Updated WSAZ Seeds

Postby admin » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 am

Since the front page takes a while to refresh depending on how cooperative the server is, I'll post the updated WSAZ seeds here. I received the go-ahead to post them from Robert St. Clair at 8:40 a.m.

https://wvmat.com/temp/23WSAZHSSeeds2.pdf
Jenny Hannan wvmat@outlook.com

Beast

Re: Updated WSAZ Seeds

Postby Beast » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:14 am

I don't have a dog in this fight, but a couple issues at 120:

The 6 seed, Griffin, was a finalist last year, shouldn't he be the 2 seed?

The 9 seed, Hand, beat the #1 ranked kid at AAA 120 this weekend. I think he should up in the top 3, 4, 5 seed somewhere.

Just my opinion...

aacoach117

Postby aacoach117 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 pm

Beast wrote:
The 9 seed, Hand, beat the #1 ranked kid at AAA 120 this weekend. I think he should up in the top 3, 4, 5 seed somewhere.

Having been to a few seeding meetings myself, I would expect this questions and the answer play a role in that...

Did his coach attend the seeding meeting? This is relevant because if the win was not on WVMat anywhere (which it wouldn't be since those are VA schools) and the coach did not attend the meeting, then there would be no way for it to be considered at the seeding meeting.

mscoach57

Postby mscoach57 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:24 pm

Beast wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight, but a couple issues at 120:

The 6 seed, Griffin, was a finalist last year, shouldn't he be the 2 seed?

Just my opinion...

With a very basic understanding of how a bracket works it seems like the Seeding Committee did a very good thing for the 9 Seeded wrestler.
Winner of 8 vs 9 faces the winner of 1 vs unseeded in the quarter finals.
Is it possible that the Christiansburg Coaches used this strategy to keep their wrestler on what they believe is his best route to the finals?

Seems to make sense given your other statement that the 6 seed is a returning runner up. Is it possible they want to keep their guy away from the 2022 runner up who is now a senior and pair him with the top seed who is a sophomore and someone their kid already beat? A known commodity that your kid previously defeated instead of getting thrown into the mix and facing unknown competition.

As for the 6 seed being the 2022 runner up and deserving the 2 seed, Perhaps his coaches reasoned he will have the 3 seed in the quarters instead of seeing a 3 seed in the semis. As the 2022 runner up he probably is confident of what he wants and is not concerned about how the consolation bracket shakes out.

BsWrestler72

Postby BsWrestler72 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:33 am

It will be interesting to see how seeds change after weigh in!

Doyablameme?

Postby Doyablameme? » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:56 pm

BsWrestler72 wrote:It will be interesting to see how seeds change after weigh in!

If you possess intel, I implore u to come forth with it

Return to “High School Wrestling”